Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE | Page 351 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. I'd say that Time Stood Still is my second favourite discovery of the whole rate. The first is Bedtime Story (I had never listened to the entire album before).

It's a sweet ballad with a gorgeous harmony and an aching sentiment that carries through the entire track. The delicate twinkly Orbit production just adds to a sense of peace and calm. Like I'm sitting on a beach watching the tide gently come in and out.

Music Is Death, BTG, rav4boy and 5 others like this.
  2. Time Stood Still was my 11 in the 2000+ rate. It's just...well, I won't even bother explaining why to all of you out there who have no ears and no hearts. Giving it a 2, really? Her vocals alone are pure gold!

3. Let me hope that "Bitch I'm Madonna's Most Overrated Song", "Crazy Boring for You" and "Living for Basicness" leave as soon as possible ("Meh Girl" can leave, too).

Sprockrooster likes this.
  4. I was going to say I can't believe I didn't give Time Stood Still a 10, but I gave it a 9.5. Truly a magical hidden gem in her discography. I played it so much when I discovered it that it's one of my most listened to Madonna songs.

Music Is Death, BTG, nikkysan and 4 others like this.
  5. It’s time to stop

6. I just:

Maybe it's my brain telling me:

soratami likes this.
  7. Living For Love’s single effect is real. Get rid ASAP for the love of God.

8. Wait she looks like Heather Graham here.

9. I guess it's probably well loved by some fans because it was her comeback after the mess that was MDNA? Thing is it's basically just more of the same nn

Maki and Xanax like this.
  10. R27

R27

Maki likes this.
  11. *deep, heavy, unceasing sigh*

12. I would like Living For Love if it was only an album track. It's just great pure pop.

13. I actually still really like Living For Love, ddd. Are you sure y'all aren't just confusing your PTSD from its Brits performance with dislike for the song itself?

[​IMG]

MilesAngel likes this.
  14. I wasn't aware some of you felt this negatively about Living For Love. I still enjoy it, although its shine has waned slightly since 2015. I still think the "alternate mix" that was supposed to be on the super deluxe punches a lot harder.

15. 88

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 7.833

2015 PLACEMENT: DOWN 5 - 83 of 210 (7.576)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 20 (@AshtrayHeart @funkyg @discoteca @Euphoria @tylerc904 @relby @Andy French @NightmareBoy @Modeblock @Daniel_O @scottdisick94 @unnameable @joeee @Mister_G @Pop Life @Filippa @wintersleep @Remorque @Digital Ghost @nametag)
    LOWEST SCORE: 4 x 2 (@OSHi @Beautiful Child 2)
    RJF'S SCORE: 8/10

Another soundtrack single, this time from a film I've never heard of - and that Madonna isn't in! But you know who is in it? Gore fucking Vidal, that's who. Wild. And speaking of wild, Madonna's was coming off quite a famous wild phase: that of her 'Sex' book, the album 'Erotica', and the film 'Body of Evidence,' which - quelle surprise - was critically panned and flopped at the box office. Madonna and her label looked at the wreckage and said "we gotta come up with sumn real quick," and 'I'll Remember' was the first step in the rebuilding process, a conscious pivot toward something softer and more palatable. Say what you will, but Madonna knows how to play the goddamn game. Makes sense since she basically invented it.

'I'll Remember' is off the soundtrack to 'With Honors,' and though I wouldn't say it's one of Madonna's most notable hits, a hit it was all the same: #2 in the US (and #13 on the year end chart), where it garnered Grammy and Golden Globe nominations (losing to Bruce Springsteen and Elton John, respectively). This meant its purpose was served, as Maverick released it after noticing that Madonna's soundtrack songs always fared well on the charts. It was Madonna's first release of 1994, paving the way for the 'Bedtime Stories' campaign and her ending the year with 'Take a Bow' at #1 for 7 weeks.

That being said, it's a perfectly pleasant song, but I'm not too blown away by it, ladies. I was hoping for an anthem of me on PJ, never forgetting a single cross word aimed toward me or my faves, and instead I got this. It's pretty though. And despite it being a GP play, Madonna couldn't resist a little gender fuckery in the video anyway, ending it with a shot of her smoking in a suit as she watches her more feminine side perform. Even when she's playing the game, she's gonna get her way.

16. I'll remember you, I'll Remember! Once and always a 10 for moi.

17. These soundtrack ballads are lovely but I really didn't expect them to make the top 100.

18. I'll Remember reminds me of all the people who have given me love and strength in the past, who may not be with me now, but will always have a place in my heart. I gave it 9.5.

Stopremix, K94, Filippa and 6 others like this.
  19. With Honors was partially shot on my university's campus, so sometimes I watch it just for the fun of seeing Brendan Fraser stomp around places I know. We're supposed to pretend it's Harvard, but well, Harvard had better things to do with their campus at the time, I guess. It's not a very good movie. "I'll Remember" is the best thing about it. I wish Madonna had stomped around the University of Minnesota when she shot the video, but I guess she had better things to do at the time too.

Music Is Death, K94, Filippa and 11 others like this.
  20. I’ll Remember is one of my all time favorite songs. One of the most comforting, reassuring songs I’ve ever heard.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.