Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE | Page 356 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. This 80sphobia is getting a bit much now. Nothing on Hard Candy or Rebel Heart is more enjoyable than Who's That Girl or as heart-crushingly poignant as Pray For Spanish Eyes but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2. It's not really 80sphobia when these 80s songs still outlasted several better 90s/00s ones.

Womanizer, Sleepycat and JMRGBY like this.
  3. I'm just waiting on the American Life bleed to begin to be honest but I feel like it's not losing much til the top 60.

2014, Chezam, happiestgirl and 2 others like this.

4. (At least not until the top 50, hopefully)

5. I stan Pray For Spanish Eyes.

It’s a better title!

6. I had a roommate who used to drive me mad by playing it on repeat. Somehow I never put together that the song was about AIDS despite all of those repeat listens--I could rarely hear the lyrics, just my roommate caterwauling along to the chorus through the walls, and I always skipped the song when I listened to the album from then on. When I saw talk about the subject matter in here after voting had closed, I cringed and regretted my 2. I should have put aside my past feelings and paid more attention to the lyrics. I still don't care for the melody, but I respect that it's a song that means a lot to many here.

Music Is Death, K94, evilsin and 10 others like this.
  7. Welp. I just lost a 9.

"Spanish Eyes" is gorgeous and one of her best 80's ballads. Should've been top 50.
    Sorry, but "Crazy for You" and "Promise to Try" can't relate to that.

Filippa and DJHazey like this.
  8. The title mess has been going on for more than 30 years at this point - European CD and tape releases seem to alternate between Spanish Eyes and Pray for Spanish Eyes randomly between releases.

It's also called Pray for Spanish Eyes on its Spanish promo release.

Like, shit or get off the pot at this point @Madonna.

9. 00s songs... better than 80s songs?
    [​IMG]

10. I’m one of the least 80sphobic people I know (quite a few debut tracks have already been done wrong in this rate) and I’d still rather listen to Music, American Life or Confessions over really any of the Who’s That Girl songs ddd

Music Is Death, K94, evilsin and 15 others like this.
  11. I’m not an American Life hater but considering what we’ve lost from Erotica, Bedtime Stories, and Ray Of Light it’s definitely due for a few cuts. Ideally starting with Mother and Father but it appears @RJF defense of it was a little tew influential on the girls.

Mr Blonde and Jonathan27 like this.
  12. As hard as I ride for American Life I have to admit that even I’m surprised at how long Mother and Father has lasted

13. RJF

RJF

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 7.894

2015 PLACEMENT: DOWN 12 - 73 of 210 (7.667)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 10 (@soratami @GimmeWork @Andrew.L @Ana Raquel @Skyline @Hurricane Drunk @joeee @wintersleep @MrMannacroix @Weslicious)
    LOWEST SCORE: 4.5 x 1 (@Chezam)
    MY SCORE: 8/10

I never really realised how much of Confessions On A Dance Floor was about Madonna looking on all of her achievements and realising she was now in a position to offer wisdom on everything she had seen and done. A lot of it is contemplative, albeit perhaps in a slightly shallower way than some of her more investigative pieces, and "Let It Will Be" sees her... pondering the idea of longevity, I guess. About how there are things that have been born, lived, and died in the entire time she has been on stage blazing like a supernova. Which is funny when you think of how true it was in 2005, and how even truer it is in fucking 2020, where she just released a new single with the hottest new popstar on the block. "Just watch me burn", she sings, which is slightly absurd considering it implies she can burn out, which is of course nonsense. Madonna is perpetual motion personified; unstoppable and eternal.

What's also interesting to note is that it's the only song on the album where Mirwais and Stuart Price share writing credits, before Price takes production duties. It makes me wonder if it maybe started life as one of the songs she was doing for the eighty musicals she was working on before the album, but I guess we'll never know. Either way, we get a suitably dramatic, string-laden banger for Madonna stunt all over, and really, what else could one want?

I think the most memorable part of "Let It Will Be" has to be the electric performance Madonna gave of it during The Confessions Tour, where the Paper Faces remix of it was used. In the performance, Madonna... flings herself into every square inch of the stage in the space of roughly five minutes. Was this her performing peak?

Music Is Death, K94, evilsin and 50 others like this.
  14. That final note in the Confessions performance...ugh chills.

15. Even if I didn't rate certain cuts highly, I get why they would be popular (in particular Nothing Fails and Intervention) but I mean.. Mother and Father, Die Another Day and Easy Ride lasting this long is odd to me. Although maybe I'm just bitter that Secret Garden crashed out when it did
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mr Blonde likes this.
  16. The tea is that aside from Mother & Father and Love Profusion, the remainder of what’s left of American Life deserves to be in the Top 50.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
    Andrew.L and Andy French like this.
  17. It's one of her best ballads, ma'am.

I'm right there with you on being bitter about Secret Garden being out though dd

18. RJF

RJF

Lucky Star
    Borderline
    Burning Up
    Holiday

Material Girl
    Like A Virgin
    Dress You Up

Papa Don't Preach
    Open Your Heart
    Live To Tell
    True Blue
    La Isla Bonita

Like A Prayer
    Express Yourself
    Till Death Do Us Part
    Promise To Try
    Cherish
    Oh Father

Vogue

Erotica
    Deeper And Deeper
    Bad Girl
    Waiting
    Thief Of Hearts
    Words
    Rain

Secret
    Human Nature
    Sanctuary
    Bedtime Story
    Take A Bow

Drowned World/Substitute For Love
    Swim
    Ray Of Light
    Skin
    Nothing Really Matters
    Sky Fits Heaven
    Frozen
    The Power Of Goodbye
    To Have And Not To Hold
    Mer Girl

Music
    Impressive Instant
    I Deserve It
    Don't Tell Me
    What It Feels Like For A Girl
    Paradise (Not For Me)
    Gone

American Life
    Hollywood
    Love Profusion
    Nobody Knows Me
    Nothing Fails
    Intervention
    X-Static Process
    Mother And Father
    Die Another Day
    Easy Ride

Hung Up
    Get Together
    Sorry
    Future Lovers
    Forbidden Love
    Jump
    Isaac

Give It 2 Me
    Miles Away
    Devil Wouldn't Recognize You​

Living For Love
    Devil Pray
    Ghosttown
    Bitch I'm Madonna (Feat. Nicki Minaj)
    Rebel Heart

Medellín (Feat. Maluma)
    God Control
    Crave (Feat. Swae Lee)
    I Don't Search I Find

Into The Groove
    Crazy For You
    Justify My Love
    Rescue Me
    I Want You (With Massive Attack)
    You'll See
    Beautiful Stranger​

19. The way that Ray of Light and American Life are more or less untouched so far...I truly do love to see it, even if I wish Erotica and Music were in the same boat. Y'all fheg hoots did Nobody's Perfect and Secret Garden wrong.

20. Wow, that Extras section really did get decimated over the weekend, didn't it?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.