Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE | Page 360 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Mother and Father is great mainly for the raw honesty and the fast delivery. Punch us M

2. RJF

RJF

[​IMG]

SCORE: 7.906

2015 PLACEMENT: UP 1 - 84 of 210 (7.551)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 22 (@eatyourself @HEARTCORE @djmakemewet @tylerc904 @Future Lover @AllGagaLike @Phonetics Boy @elear @Ana Raquel @Andy French @fatyoshi @torontodj @Aester @NightmareBoy @BreatheBox @Daniel_O @Sideout @joeee @Epic Chocolat @Mister_G @Lila @japanbonustrack)
    LOWEST SCORE: 2.5 x 1 (@ABoy’sGot2Suffer4Fashion)
    MY SCORE: 7/10

I would normally have a text graphic ready to go but I totally blanked on the fact that this was never a single and I'm still working on transferring Photoshop over to my new laptop, so have a cheeky fanmade single cover to tide y'all over.

So this is a bit of an oddity! A Marvin Gaye cover reimagined by Massive Attack and performed by Madonna. How did this come about? Massive Attack were initially approached to contribute to a tribute album for Marvin Gaye called Inner City Blues, where the premise was other artists picking one of his songs and reimagining them. They had initially tapped Chaka Khan to do the vocals... only to find Chaka kept flaking on the studio sessions ("My colon is clean baby I don't give a shit." - Chaka Khan on turning up to the studio.), and then they tried to get Aaron Neville, only to end up encountering too much legal red tape. So they had a song, but no one to sing it.

Enter Nellee Hooper, who was fresh off of working with Madonna on Bedtime Stories, who suggested that she would be up for jumping into the track. A quick forty eight hours later in New York and they had her vocals to take back to the UK to finish work on the track, and... the rest is history. I think this is a great little artefact in Madonna's discography, and always a bit of a left turn delight for new fans to discover as well, and the way the track is reimagined around the original's strings just lends it perfectly to a mood Madonna nails every time. That heat, that yearning, that melancholy. There's maybe a little less passion than the original, but there's a whole lot more sadness, and we love a bit of sad drama, don't we females?

Despite it never being a single, the song did get a video, and also appeared on ballads compilation cum gee-pee pacifier Something To Remember. It has never been performed live, thus joining the mountain of tracks that Madonna could brush off for a B-Sides/Rarities set. Enjoy the video below, in which Madonna is both sad and sexy in a bedroom. Been there, sis. The former more than the latter, tbh. I've also included the original for anyone who is curious.

3. "Swim" being on 'Ray Of Light' has really helped it outlast so many far better songs in her discography.

4. RJF

RJF

Lucky Star
    Borderline
    Burning Up
    Holiday

Material Girl
    Like A Virgin
    Dress You Up

Papa Don't Preach
    Open Your Heart
    Live To Tell
    True Blue
    La Isla Bonita

Like A Prayer
    Express Yourself
    Till Death Do Us Part
    Promise To Try
    Cherish
    Oh Father

Vogue

Erotica
    Deeper And Deeper
    Bad Girl
    Waiting
    Thief Of Hearts
    Words
    Rain

Secret
    Human Nature
    Sanctuary
    Bedtime Story
    Take A Bow

Drowned World/Substitute For Love
    Swim
    Ray Of Light
    Skin
    Nothing Really Matters
    Sky Fits Heaven
    Frozen
    The Power Of Goodbye
    To Have And Not To Hold
    Mer Girl

Music
    Impressive Instant
    I Deserve It
    Don't Tell Me
    What It Feels Like For A Girl
    Paradise (Not For Me)
    Gone

American Life
    Hollywood
    Love Profusion
    Nobody Knows Me
    Nothing Fails
    Intervention
    X-Static Process
    Die Another Day
    Easy Ride

Hung Up
    Get Together
    Sorry
    Future Lovers
    Forbidden Love
    Jump
    Isaac

Give It 2 Me
    Miles Away
    Devil Wouldn't Recognize You​

Living For Love
    Devil Pray
    Ghosttown
    Bitch I'm Madonna (Feat. Nicki Minaj)
    Rebel Heart

Medellín (Feat. Maluma)
    God Control
    Crave (Feat. Swae Lee)
    I Don't Search I Find

Into The Groove
    Crazy For You
    Justify My Love
    Rescue Me
    You'll See
    Beautiful Stranger​

6. Lila

Lila Staff Member

Fuck all of you.

7. "Hard Candy" tracks still being in over this gorgeous cover? Sacrilege!

8. R27

R27

This getting painful. I’m glad to see American Life start losing something as I think it’s a bit over-represented at this point, but Mother and Father would not have been the song I’d go with at this point. Furthermore, I still have a handful of 6-7 scoring songs that I’d like to see leave ASAP. Maybe tomorrow...

Euphoria, Maki and AllGagaLike like this.
  9. I don't get how people can even dislike Swim.

Music Is Death, K94, evilsin and 19 others like this.
  10. Mother and Father doesn't hold even the tiniest of candles to Promise To Try and Mer Girl (I can already feel the American Life apologists sharpening their knives, but whatever), not even close, but the live rendition from the Re-Invention Tour is an absolute gem and never fails to give me chills.

Bleu Noir likes this.
  11. ...really?

Also, I love Beautiful Stranger but I have to question why it's outlasted I Want You in particular.

R27 and Maki like this.
  12. Mother and Father isn't the song from American Life I wanted to go yet. I love the bouncy synths and the way the production keeps changing. I gave it 8.

I've gone off I Want You over the years but it's still very good. I gave it 7.5.

Maki and Filippa like this.
  13. I‘m a little shocked that we will only reach an average of 8.0 after ten more eliminations. So you tasteless flop whores believe that not even a third of her discography belongs to the „very good - great“ range? Ok.

NightmareBoy and Pop Life like this.
  14. This isn't how everyone approached their scoring. Many people voted on a curve based on the songs in the rate, not based on all of the recorded music they have heard.

15. Two 10s in a row :/

Maki likes this.
  16. I am aware of that and I was kidding. But several songs still left way too early in my opinion.

17. I also just want to say that while I feel like I've been basically coming across like this

[​IMG]

with every elimination, I actually am enjoying the rate, nn. It has me on such a hard M kick and rating everything together at one time has definitely solidified just how deep my appreciation for her catalogue goes and how even now, having spent seventeen years absorbing this woman's artistry, I'm still finding new things to appreciate about both it and her. She really is The One.

18. This is me too. I’m actually at a point where anything that goes now is fine, because it made the top 100, which, having such a big back catalogue there’s so much ground to cover, a top 100 best Madonna songs is actually fitting.

19. I really regret overscoring Devil Pray.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.