Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE | Page 363 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. I should have relished the handful of eliminations when everyone was too gassed up about the premature Erotica cuts to call for any more Hard Candy songs to go

[​IMG]

Music Is Death, K94, soratami and 7 others like this.
  2. Secret Garden, Who’s That Girl and Spanish Eyes eliminations still hurt.

3. matthew.

matthew. Staff Member

Get stupid, get stupid, get stupid, don't stop it.

[​IMG]

Music Is Death and Andrew.L like this.
  4. RJF

RJF

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 7.93

2015 PLACEMENT: DOWN 5 - 77 of 210 (7.633)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 18 (@Suburbia @Phonetics Boy @dylanaber @elear @Andy French @Syzygyz @Dreampopboy @NightmareBoy @scottdisick94 @RetroPhysical @joeee @DinahLee @Crisp X @phoenix123 @Lila @Remorque @nametag @Music Is Life)
    LOWEST SCORE: 5 x 2 (@Aester @Drew)
    MY SCORE: 8/10

Sticks and stones may break my bones but words may... have mental health repercussions that last for all of eternity. Another Erotica cut sees it get cut down to just six tracks - four singles, two album tracks - after it went so long in the rate with barely a scratch. It's all getting quite real, isn't it?

As someone who a user on this forum once described as being "mean like a snake", it should be no shock to y'all that I quite like a song all about how horrible it is to be on the receiving end on someone's serrated tongue. yas. And in general, is it really surprising that Madonna in the early 90s has an ode to how shitty words can be? And this is even before Erotica came out and the backlash was in full swing. She had spent the majority of the last ten-plus years being pop's premier provocateur, and with that title came with pissing off every weirdly repressed straight person going. Whore, pervert, whore, bimbo, whore, talentless, whore, stupid, whore, lipsyncer, whore, ugly, whore, blasphemer... oh, and whore. She had it all slung at her. Therefore, a song all about how a lover's meanest tendencies come out in arguments and how all their promises are usually false that also doubles as a media takedown makes for wonderful material on an album that was not only about intimacy and the minute negotiations we make in our relationships, but inadvertently about a lot of Madonna's relationship with the press too.

The song knocks. It's a knocker; knocking is its field. It sits nestled in the bosom of "Thief Of Hearts" and "Rain while sounding like a production lovechild of both; taking a little of the rattling house production of the former and those deep, churning synths on the latter. Are the message and even the lyrics perhaps a little trite given what they're surrounded by on the rest of the album? Maybe, but is just hangs together so satisfyingly as a package. The chorus is maybe one of the most addictive and instantly memorable on the whole album, and that spoken word outro is camp as hell. Plus, it also shows that Madonna has had an affinity for typewriters since literally forever. Fair enough, tbh. Weren't they the only things that could produce printed words back in the day? lmao

The song was never performed live, bizarrely enough, as it would have slipped into The Girlie Show wonderfully.​

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
  5. Another one that stung. This is such a highlight on the album for me. Part of me was hoping that the typewriter clicks at the end meant it could find its way into the secret agent section of the Madame X Tour.

phoenix123 and Cutlery like this.
  6. Not you shading Mother’s age after ruminating the power of words nn.

7. RJF

RJF

Me making an utterly crass, inelegant comment about typewriters is the joke, sis.

Music Is Death, JMRGBY, Maki and 3 others like this.
  8. Madame X came to serve, yes she DID.

9. [​IMG]

10. [​IMG]

11. RJF

RJF

Just one song left outside the Top 80...

12. IT BETTER BE "SWIM".

13. RJF

RJF

[​IMG]

Until we get a new page, that is.

14. Glad to see Words make it so far.
    The demo is also great

Music Is Death, DinahLee and Filippa like this.
  15. No more Erotica cuts please + thank u.

16. I haven't been stanning Hard Candy in this thread as hard as I should and I'm sorry for abandoning you.
    [​IMG]

17. madonna_crab.gif

18. Something from Hard Candy must. go. NOW. "Miles Away"... Please mother...

phoenix123 and Sleepycat like this.
  19. Why is Ray of Light still here?

20. Because it's waiting for the Top 10.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.