Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE | Page 367 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. RJF

RJF

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 7.952

2015 PLACEMENT: DOWN 17 - 62 of 210 (7.902)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 21 (@nikkysan @Sprockrooster @JMRGBY @DJHazey @Remyky22 @matthew. @soratami @Andrew.L @Jonathan27 @fatyoshi @torontodj @Babylon @RetroPhysical @joeee @Crisp X @eliminathan @Trinu 3.0 @nametag @Markus1981 @happiestgirl @Music Is Life)
    LOWEST SCORE: 2.5 x 1 (@Chezam)
    MY SCORE: 8/10

And the noose tightens around Hard Candy's neck, leaving it with just two tracks left! This song has been knocking around for a long time. Originally conceived with Joe Henry for the ill-fated Hello Suckers musical (WHAT was this musical even going to be about considering the breadth of songs we've heard that were for it?!) and even apparently rehearsed for Re-Invention Tour, "Devil..." finally found its way out into the wide world on Hard Candy after M reworked it a lil with Justin Timberlake before handing it off to Timbaland and Danja of Britney's Blackout fame. Apparently one of Madonna's favourite songs off the album too, "The devil not recognising you. Imagine that!" she said about it in an interview... I mean I'm paraphrasing a bit, but that's generally what she said about it nn.

I really like this track! I like that it deviates from the album's M.O. of fairly standard pop-RnB to offer something a little bit different and more atmospheric, and Madonna locked in emotional warfare with a man that only she can see through while no one else can clock him is a great premise for the song. I also enjoy that it takes its time to unfurl a little; Miss Timberlake provides an appropriately dramatic vocal breakdown as he howls and yowls over the instrumental as it breaks down to its barest parts, and the lyrics across the board are solid. The verses in particular are some poetic nonsense that Madonna fills with just the right amount of danger and intrigue. So yes, a good track! However, probably the right time for it to go.

The song was performed during Sticky & Sweet in that super cool light cylinder thing at the end of the runway, in which Madonna serves dementor realness with her outfit (and not her vocals, which is a rarity for this tour) on top of the piano before shucking her cloak to reveal... that fucking outfit with the beads that seemed to be the only costume for Sticky & Sweet that wasn't sports wear. Enjoy!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
  2. RJF

RJF

Lucky Star
    Borderline
    Burning Up
    Holiday

Material Girl
    Like A Virgin
    Dress You Up

Papa Don't Preach
    Open Your Heart
    Live To Tell
    True Blue
    La Isla Bonita

Like A Prayer
    Express Yourself
    Till Death Do Us Part
    Cherish
    Oh Father

Vogue

Erotica
    Deeper And Deeper
    Bad Girl
    Waiting
    Thief Of Hearts
    Rain

Secret
    Human Nature
    Sanctuary
    Bedtime Story
    Take A Bow

Drowned World/Substitute For Love
    Swim
    Ray Of Light
    Skin
    Nothing Really Matters
    Sky Fits Heaven
    Frozen
    The Power Of Goodbye
    To Have And Not To Hold
    Mer Girl

Music
    Impressive Instant
    I Deserve It
    Don't Tell Me
    What It Feels Like For A Girl
    Paradise (Not For Me)
    Gone

American Life
    Hollywood
    Love Profusion
    Nobody Knows Me
    Nothing Fails
    Intervention
    X-Static Process
    Die Another Day
    Easy Ride

Hung Up
    Get Together
    Sorry
    Future Lovers
    Forbidden Love
    Jump
    Isaac

Give It 2 Me
    Miles Away

Living For Love
    Devil Pray
    Ghosttown
    Bitch I'm Madonna (Feat. Nicki Minaj)

Medellín (Feat. Maluma)
    God Control
    Crave (Feat. Swae Lee)
    I Don't Search I Find

Into The Groove
    Crazy For You
    Justify My Love
    Rescue Me
    You'll See
    Beautiful Stranger​

3. I’m living for the Sticky & Sweet shade. I often sit back and watch camera footage performances to hear the real vocals for a good laugh.

Andrew.L, torontodj and discoteca like this.
  4. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Staff Member

All of these amazing album tracks falling while True Blue and Material Girl continue to take up space simply for being singles... I mean I expected it but I'm still mad.

K94, evilsin, FridayNight and 13 others like this.
  5. Another 10 gone.

Maki likes this.
  6. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Staff Member

Oh and what the fuck is I Don't Search I Find still doing here.

[​IMG]

7. Jesus Christ, so to review Who's That Girl, Spanish Eyes, Mother and Father, plus Devil Wouldn't Recognize You? This has gotten just brutal lately!

torontodj likes this.
  8. Go away!!!

9. I realized last night Heartbeat is the best song on Hard Candy.
    [​IMG]

Music Is Death, K94, evilsin and 13 others like this.
  10. I do like Devil Wouldn't Recognize You, but the Timbaland-crashing-drum production leaves me a bit cold. I much prefer the warm bounciness of Hard Candy's Pharrellian disco-funk. Miles Away is easily Timbaland's best contribution, and Give It 2 Me deserved to be a global smash, so I'm glad they're bearing the torch for the album.

Promise to Try is a wonderful, iconic little nugget of an album track.

Hot take: Words is great and should be here instead of Waiting.

Anyways, loving the minuscule discrepancies in decimal points separating songs!

11. nn this is the reason I knocked off a 0.5 from my original 10. It's still my favourite from the album but it sounds a bit dated in general now.

12. Devil Wouldn't Recognise You is my second favourite on the album. I gave it 8.

Maki likes this.
  13. RJF

RJF

Y'all wanna know what's egregious? FUCKING "Love Profusion" making it into the Top 100 let alone into the Top 80. Like, what is the matter with some of you to have let that fucking empty mess continue on as long as it has?

I got you under my skin
    I got you under my skin
    I got you under my skin
    I got you under my skin
    I got you under my skin
    I got you under my skin
    I got you under my skin
    I got you under my skin

14. Devil Wouldn't Recognize You went off at the Sticky and Sweet Tour. And I already loved it. But it is now steady among my Madonna top 20. Every time I listen is still a moment.

Maki and JMRGBY like this.
  15. Unrealize it
    [​IMG]

16. That extra little piano bit before the last few choruses. Wow.

Sprockrooster likes this.
  17. RJF

RJF

Um.

So.

We're gonna do another elimination today.

Because I've just discovered.

I made another score input boo boo.

And turned someone's 10 into a 19.

So now.

We have to eliminate No.82 again.

And move everything in that bracket up one space.

18. I guess she got under your skin ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Scream

19. A lot of songs here deserve it.

20. Let me summon a True Blue elimination
    [​IMG]

Andrew.L, relby and Mirwais Ahmadzaï like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.