Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE | Page 368 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Aw... "Devil Wouldn't Recognize You" is such a great song and one of my (many) higher scores from that album, despite not even being my favourite non-single from it (that title belongs to "She's Not Me" or "Voices").

As someone who considers "Hard Candy" a guilty pleasure Madonna album, I think that solid seven songs form that album deserved to be in the top 100 (apart form the album's top 3, there are "She's Not Me", "Heartbeat", "Voices" and "4 Minutes").
    Hoping that the remaining two songs make it to the top 50.

LOL. Please be "Bitch I'm Madonna" or "Living for Love"!

2. Hang on, do you not like those songs? I don't think you've ever mentioned them before at all! What brand new information this is for us all! Aren't we all so blessed!!

Music Is Death, K94, LTG and 7 others like this.
  3. Yeah I think I my 10 for Devil was a bit much... probably because it sounds like a goddamn revelation after fucking Spanish Lesson. Still a good song, but was looking out of its depth by now, I’d definitely deduct points now for that unnecessary howling by Miss Justine.

The way this quote reads as Random Thoughts fodder

acl and Maki like this.
  4. Living For Love and I Don't Search I Find making it to the top80.
    The power of a VGHM_House_Beat_Loop_80.

Devil Wouldn't Recognize You is good, nice production even if some parts sound a bit dated now, but it doesn't feel bad, feels very characteristic for the sound of it's time, like most of the 80s song. Still, there's some interesting twists.

Oddly, this would be a nice pick for a "Tears Of a Clown" thing if it ever happens again.

Maki likes this.
  5. R27

R27

LEAVE THE LIKE A PRAYER ALBUM ALONE

6. People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, sister!

7. Change my mind, otherwise *Nelly Furtado voice* see my booty get down like
    [​IMG]

Chezam likes this.
  8. RJF

RJF

Well.

[​IMG]

SCORE: 7.912

2015 PLACEMENT: DOWN 14 - 68 of 210 (7.735)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 50!!! (@RJF @nikkysan @Vasilios @aux @Jwentz @dodoriazarbon @eatyourself @djmakemewet @discoteca @Lucy Honeychurch @Angeleyes @JMRGBY @Remyky22 @AllGagaLike @Cutlery @Suburbia @matthew. @GimmeWork @Mirwais Ahmadzaï @Andrew.L @Mjg0806 @relby @Jonathan27 @elear @fatyoshi @torontodj @1991 @Dreampopboy @FridayNight @muddleddreams @Drew @Robsolete @RetroPhysical @Xanax @aaronhansome @BEST FICTION @paperboyfriendd @joe_alouder @phoenix123 @clowezra @Rogue @TheChoirgirlHotel @KingBruno @Remorque @LTG @Ramalama @sexercise @Mr Blonde @Music Is Life @Bangers&Bops)
    LOWEST SCORE: 1 x 3 (@Sprockrooster @NightmareBoy @Verandi)
    MY SCORE: 10/10

Legends NEVER die.

It's a testament to not only how big this rate has been but how divisive "Bitch I'm Madonna" is that a whopping fifty 10/10 marks has it land outside the Top 80, but naturally, its scores were most likely far more polarised than a lot of the songs left. This takes us down to just three Rebel Heart songs remaining. Which one will come out on top?

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: latter day Madonna is going to be such an interesting time period in her career to look back on when all is said and done. It's going to be interesting for a multitude of reasons, but one of those is down to how... irreverent Madonna has been able to remain while her contemporaries have become increasingly prudish, judgemental, po-faced, and just straight up fucking ignorant about pop culture. In this moment in pop music, we're actually watching how several female popstars who were world-conqueringly massive in the late 00s are now adjusting their careers to moving into their thirties and beyond. Has another time period before then produced so many female pop megastars? Either way, they each owe a strand of their DNA to Madonna. There are doors they were able to walk through because she broke them down. There are barriers they were able to break because she spent the last thirty years kicking them in preparation. I'm exaggerating a little; no one owes their career to Madonna, but in an industry that loves to compare women, it's hard not to draw similarities between the girls now, and arguably the person who was the initial mould. My point: we have a lot of girls with huge, lasting careers now in an industry that is perpetually cruel to woman and restrictive at best in terms of how acceptable certain behaviour from them is at certain points in their life. And as they rise up through their thirties, forties, fifties, those walls are going to close in more and more and more.

So thank fuck Madonna is out here pushing back on those walls with absolutely audacious screamers like this. "Bitch I'm Madonna" deserves to be in the pantheon of all time Madonna greats because it does what Madonna has always done when she's been at her most intriguing. It pushes; it challenges, it remains obnoxiously itself and steadfastly brazen in the face of disgusted detractors who are only repulsed because it threatens to break the conventions they keep trying to place on her. This stupid, rubbery, squeaky, raunchy, explicit, bouncy wee thing is, for better or worse, one of her biggest mission statements in the last decade: I am still here, I am still going to do whatever I want, I am going to do it better than most, and you are still going to be mad about it. So you bitches better get in my gang or GTFO.

And honestly, the biggest scream about "Bitch I'm Madonna" is that it's the legitimately cutting edge track that fans claim they've been clamouring for for years when the reality is that they lost interest and grasp on what actually is cutting edge and... just want William Orbit 1998 bleep bloops. Madonna was one of the first (and going by her list of actually released tracks, last) people to actually work with SOPHIE, and get that kitchen-sink-clatter, two-balloons-rubbing-together brilliance that many a PJ cigar would want to hear from literally every single fucking popstar going. "Ummmmm does anyone think that AG Cook would be a good fit??????????" said all of you in every thread for the last five years SHUT UUUUUUPPPPPPP!!! The Queen was once again on the ground floor of a trend and no one even really realised until Charli XCX started mewling for attention exclusively from poisonous Twitter gays who were only out to use and abuse her like the douche they asked her to sign. :)

Basically:

It's just a relentlessly fun, unapologetic whirlwind of a track that came at the perfect time to remind everyone that this is what Madonna does, even in her late-fifties. That pristine, bonkers beat, the helium vocals, Nicki's fire verse, the bass pumping making me want to take my top off... It's just such a late-game shot of adrenaline. I love every single decision that brought it to our lives. Play it when Madonna's coffin is getting lowered into the foundations of what remains of Madison Square Garden after World War V in 2133.

The song was served as the third single from the Rebel Heart era and... was actually quite successful by 2015 Madonna standards. I think it's currently her most viewed video on YouTube ever, boasting a plethora of celebrity cameos such as Beyoncé, Miley Cyrus, Alexander Wang before everyone knew he was a creep, Diplo, Rita Ora who is generally always in the vicinity of a running camera, Chris Rock, several sock puppets (shit, I already mentioned Miley), Katy Perry, her sons Rocco and I'm pretty sure a young David, Kanye West, and Madonna's very own grill. The song was also performed on the Jimmy Fallon Show, where they basically recreated the video, and on the Rebel Heart Tour, where... it didn't really pop off as it should have as part of the opening act, to be honest, but still. Enjoy!

9. Imagine how I felt when @elektroxx continuously quoted my post while calling for "Mowgli's Road" in the 'Quirky Pop Girls' rate (which was my hypothetical 11 for that rate, by the way).

Anyways, did I mention that "Bitch I'm Madonna" and "Living for Love" should be out by now?
    By the way, I only dislike the former, but the latter feels so much out-of-place compared to the vast majority of the remaining songs.

Edit: MY POWER!!!

soratami, Sprockrooster and elektroxx like this.
  10. I’ve mentioned a couple of songs I’d like to leave maybe twice?

11. RJF

RJF

Lucky Star
    Borderline
    Burning Up
    Holiday

Material Girl
    Like A Virgin
    Dress You Up

Papa Don't Preach
    Open Your Heart
    Live To Tell
    True Blue
    La Isla Bonita

Like A Prayer
    Express Yourself
    Till Death Do Us Part
    Cherish
    Oh Father

Vogue

Erotica
    Deeper And Deeper
    Bad Girl
    Waiting
    Thief Of Hearts
    Rain

Secret
    Human Nature
    Sanctuary
    Bedtime Story
    Take A Bow

Drowned World/Substitute For Love
    Swim
    Ray Of Light
    Skin
    Nothing Really Matters
    Sky Fits Heaven
    Frozen
    The Power Of Goodbye
    To Have And Not To Hold
    Mer Girl

Music
    Impressive Instant
    I Deserve It
    Don't Tell Me
    What It Feels Like For A Girl
    Paradise (Not For Me)
    Gone

American Life
    Hollywood
    Love Profusion
    Nobody Knows Me
    Nothing Fails
    Intervention
    X-Static Process
    Die Another Day
    Easy Ride

Hung Up
    Get Together
    Sorry
    Future Lovers
    Forbidden Love
    Jump
    Isaac

Give It 2 Me
    Miles Away

Living For Love
    Devil Pray
    Ghosttown

Medellín (Feat. Maluma)
    God Control
    Crave (Feat. Swae Lee)
    I Don't Search I Find

Into The Groove
    Crazy For You
    Justify My Love
    Rescue Me
    You'll See
    Beautiful Stranger​

12. I’m so annoyed. Bitch should have outlasted all other Rebel Heart tracks and all of Hard Candy.

13. oh
    [​IMG]

Jwentz likes this.
  14. Cue ten pages of Bitch I'm Madonna fighting.

[​IMG]

15. aux

aux

Not "Bitch I'm Madonna" crashing out at #82...

[​IMG]

At least fifty (!!!) tasteful users gave it a ten.

[​IMG]

Music Is Death, K94, evilsin and 25 others like this.
  16. The 50 people who gave it a 10 are legends. The people who gave it a 1...well, there’s a special spot in Hell reserved.

torontodj, Xanax and phoenix123 like this.
  17. RJF

RJF

Yes, after wanting it gone for the last sixty days and predicting it was going to leave every one of those days, it's gone. Your power.

18. Nn-

19. For all the ENDLESS bitching you did, you’re not even in the low scorers??? @Maki

20. rdp

rdp

I fought to be so strong
    I guess you knew I was afraid
    You'd go away too...

[​IMG]

Whew. A song

Also yas promote Ms. Orville Peck a bit.

Phonetics Girl, Lila and Andy French like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.