Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE | Page 378 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. RJF

RJF

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 7.985

2015 PLACEMENT: UP 5 - 80 of 210 (7.618)

11 x 1
    @eatyourself

HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 18 (@AshtrayHeart @Dangerous Maknae @tylerc904 @JMRGBY @GimmeWork @elear @Andy French @torontodj @theelusivechanteuse @BreatheBox @Daniel_O @muddleddreams @Zdarlight @BEST FICTION @TheChoirgirlHotel @KingBruno @acl @ufint)
    LOWEST SCORE: 3 x 1 (@Phonetics Boy)
    MY SCORE: 9/10

Oh, this is a marvellous track. If Madonna's legacy is defined by anything, it's surely her ability to re-invent, as loathe as she is to admit it. That ability to have a fluid identity in the eyes of the public has probably been the thing that has allowed her to achieve such longevity; no one really has properly concrete preconceived notions of her to trap her in because she keeps these reference points brief. It works two-fold; not only as a tactic to remain fresh in the public eye, but as... deception as well. A tactic to put distance between her and anyone who attempts to get close. And this should speak to a lot of us. The vast majority of a queer person's life is a deception; hiding and shielding large parts of yourself and only showing your hand when absolutely necessary or when absolutely sure of safety or victory. It's just self-preservation: who can you trust with yourself? Who won't punish you for your truth? And we do this dance multiple times a day, every day. Think about it: who in your life gets 100% of you? There are things inside of me that I know will always be mine, but do I stunt the relationships in my life by hoarding them? I'm safe, but is that really a life?

So yes, I feel an affinity to this track, which seems to see-saw between pride that no one has you figured out, and... a kind of sadness too. Even the production acts as an additional wall to any kind intimacy as Madonna's smooth, metallic vocals robotically intone just how much we don't know about her. And there's power in that position, but also loneliness. It's a cold, frosty track on one of her warmest albums, a weird little outlier in her discography in general, and easily one of the highlights of the 00s period of her career. It just balances so many extremes so well. It's a great Madonna song and a fantastic pop record to boot.

Let me pass over to @eatyourself, who gave this their 11/10:

"This may not be the most iconic or remembered song by Madonna, but my 11 goes to it both for personal and "logical" reasons. I mean, for a song released in 2003 it still sounds like next millenium pop. The lyrics are so true about her and about me, and even though I've never seen me and Madonna as similars, this is the song I can identify the most with. It's strong, furious, but also fragile in its honesty. Even kind of sad how "nobody knows me like you know me" is said, you could interpret it as a declaration of love but I see it more like "well at least there's one person who gets me!". The live versions are marvelous, and it was a most pleasing moment in my career when she used it for an interlude at the tour. I think it's to show how much this song "showcases" the idea of Madonna the popstar going personal. It's robotic, high-frequency, futuristic folk music and I can't help but consciously bop."

"Nobody Knows Me" was performed magnificently as part of the Re-Invention Tour, before surprisingly resurfacing on the MDNA Tour as an interlude. As a bonus, I've also included the b-roll footage that leaked from the day that interlude was recorded. If you want to watch Madonna serve face for half an hour, then I can't think of a better video for it. It's yet another reminder of her seismic star power. Those eyes. Enjoy!

2. RJF

RJF

Lucky Star
    Borderline
    Burning Up
    Holiday

Material Girl
    Like A Virgin
    Dress You Up

Papa Don't Preach
    Open Your Heart
    Live To Tell
    True Blue
    La Isla Bonita

Like A Prayer
    Express Yourself
    Till Death Do Us Part
    Cherish
    Oh Father

Vogue

Erotica
    Deeper And Deeper
    Bad Girl
    Waiting
    Thief Of Hearts
    Rain

Secret
    Human Nature
    Sanctuary
    Bedtime Story
    Take A Bow

Drowned World/Substitute For Love
    Swim
    Ray Of Light
    Skin
    Nothing Really Matters
    Sky Fits Heaven
    Frozen
    The Power Of Goodbye
    To Have And Not To Hold
    Mer Girl

Music
    Impressive Instant
    I Deserve It
    Don't Tell Me
    What It Feels Like For A Girl
    Paradise (Not For Me)
    Gone

American Life
    Hollywood
    Love Profusion
    Nothing Fails
    Intervention
    X-Static Process
    Die Another Day
    Easy Ride

Hung Up
    Get Together
    Sorry
    Future Lovers
    Forbidden Love
    Jump
    Isaac

Give It 2 Me
    Miles Away

Devil Pray
    Ghosttown

Medellín (Feat. Maluma)
    God Control
    Crave (Feat. Swae Lee)
    I Don't Search I Find

Into The Groove
    Crazy For You
    Justify My Love
    Rescue Me
    Beautiful Stranger​

3. 'Living For Love' is incredible, all the demos, the various remixes being incorporated into the live performances etc. The ageism of the radio once again being exposed. What a time.

One of my favourite forum memories is the whole evening and specifically the reactions after her fall and the pure joy we all got at her owning the fuck out of it, when we all know other performers would've ran off.

funkyg and madgemad like this.
  4. Good.
    [​IMG]

Phonetics Girl and Maki like this.
  5. shut ur ugly boat mouth

This feels way too early for Nobody Knows Me to be leaving. I would've expected Love Profusion to have fallen by now.

6. Nobody nobody nobody nobody knows me
    Nobody knows me
    Nobody knows me like you know me *distorted static sounds*

[​IMG]

7. Ah yes, Love Profusion. The only song I gave a 10 to on American Life, exquisite. Truly is that girl.
    [​IMG]

Womanizer, Phonetics Girl and Verandi like this.
  8. Nobody Knows Me - 8.5. It's a shame to see this go. It's my fourth favourite on the album.

9. I underscored Nobody Knows Me both occasions we’ve done this rate.

10. I gave it a nine, madam. Don't have to tell me twice. I guess I'm just surprised it seems to be more liked than Nobody Knows Me!

One of these days you'll see the error of your sinning ways and come to appreciate American Life for the modern masterpiece that it truly is tho

[​IMG]

Music Is Death and nikkysan like this.
  11. American Life the song needs to vacate.

12. Nobody Knows Me and Impressive Instant are cut from the same robo bop cloth, despite the totally different subject matters, so I wouldn't be surprised for the latter to fall soon too

Phonetics Girl likes this.
  13. Living for Love and Nobody Knows Me in the same night? Ugh why are you all like this

14. Living for Love benefits from a) placement on track list b) the Brits performance and c) it seeming like a glimmer of hope after MDNA. It is unfortunately still awful. Bye!

15. ‘Nobody Knows Me’ is marvellous, although I honestly think Stuart Price slightly improved it on the Re-Invention Tour.

16. Obviously you've never had a double shottie,
    that goes right through your body,

Are you even satsified?

17. American Life the album got only tens from me.

18. [​IMG]

19. Two of my lowest remaining scores leaving one after another? We love to see it!

"Nobody Knows Me" is good, but it's my least favourite song from "American Life". Both "I'm So Stupid" and "Mother and Father" are better than it.

20. Nobody Knows Me is top tier Madonna. Maybe in my top 20.

JMRGBY, FridayNight, nikkysan and 2 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.