Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE | Page 381 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. RJF

RJF

[​IMG]

SCORE: 7.988

2015 PLACEMENT: UP 42!!! - 116 of 210 (6.966)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 23 (@Vasilios @Suburbia @soratami @Mirwais Ahmadzaï @Phonetics Boy @Jonathan27 @Andy French @FridayNight @Modeblock @scottdisick94 @RetroPhysical @DinahLee @Sleepycat @Pop Life @clowezra @acl @ufint @Ramalama @nametag @Mr Blonde @Music Is Life @FrozenNight @Weslicious)
    LOWEST SCORE: 2.5 x 1 (@CasperFan)
    MY SCORE: 7.5/10

I... don't have the spreadsheet knowhow to confirm, but "I Deserve It" might be our highest climber of the rate. It vaults over forty places and gains over a whole point in scoring to land comfortably in the Top 100 in 2020 as opposed to scraping into the Top 120 in 2015. Music has actually been posting gains across the board so far; what does this mean for when things get turned up even further soon?

Sometimes, love is like a bomb that goes off in your life. Sudden, visceral, violent, and sense-consuming, and you spend years after the fact picking the shrapnel out of yourself. But sometimes, it's just... so easy. Something that happens without you even realising; like the days getting longer in the summer. Gradual, gentle, inevitable. "I Deserve It" is one of my few highlights from Music as an album, and it's entirely for this vibe that Madonna and Mirwais create with this pseudo-acoustic production and lyrics that read more like vows than poetry. There are no stakes to "I Deserve It" because there was no fight to begin with; this was always going to happen, and this song is simply telling you why. It's just so wonderfully simple and sweet; one of the times where it feels like the album actually manages to nail down a purely felt emotion rather than pulling something synthetic out of thin air. I also love the idea of Madonna knowing that she was worthy of the happiness that she didn't have to suffer for it. Catholicism is full of pain = purification nonsense (as is a lot of organised religion) so I love the idea of a song where she gets to let go of ideas like that as well. Joy doesn't have to come only after sufferance. Sometimes, things can be just purely good, and nothing has to hurt.

There is of course the uncomfortable fact that the song is about Guy Ritchie, who she would be divorced from by the end of the decade, but pop music is full of songs that were written about lovers who eventually became... less than lovers, and Madonna is not only no exception, but a great example of a discography littered with them. If a lot of her 80s love songs were inspired by Sean Penn, then a lot of her 00s love songs owe Guy for their inspiration. Let's just be glad we got them!

The song was performed as part of the Drowned World Tour setlist, where Madonna performs it acoustically sitting on a hay bale. She finishes the audience by yodelling "YEE HAW!!!" and asking the audience, "Are y'all havin' a good taaaahhhhme????". And y'all thought Joanne was country-pandering? It's actually a great performance; the live production and Madonna's ad-libs make it an even more dynamic listen than the fairly sedate studio version, but both are enjoyable. Speaking of which: enjoy!

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
  2. Not the write-up suddenly making me draw a few parallels to It's Nice to Have a Friend out of all songs... suddenly I like this a bit more

Phonetics Girl likes this.
  3. [​IMG]

4. I Deserve It - 8. It has a lovely melody and Madonna's vocals are nice but it is a bit 'dentist drill' at times.

Maki likes this.
  5. Give me my pocketbook, I'm leaving

6. Love seeing this collective display of good taste. I Deserve It deserved it.

7. RJF

RJF

Coming at you thick and fast tonight...

[​IMG]

SCORE: 7.994

2015 PLACEMENT: UP 6 - 79 of 210 (7.622)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 29 (@Andreas @Vasilios @Dangerous Maknae @tylerc904 @OSHi @Angeleyes @Up Down Suite @CasperFan @torontodj @dancingwithmyself @Aester @Coochi @scottdisick94 @letuinmybackdoor @Drew @unnameable @joeee @phoenix123 @Lila @Pop Life @Filippa @TheChoirgirlHotel @Remorque @Digital Ghost @nametag @sexercise @happiestgirl @FrozenNight @Weslicious)
    LOWEST SCORE: 3 x 1 (@Cutlery)
    MY SCORE: 5/10

BYE should have been gone ages ago.

...Okay, fine. Isn't it funny how tonight's theme seems to be walking through the graveyard for love songs about relationships that no longer exist? Our last two 7/10 cuts in the rate are probably Madonna's most explicit love letters to the two men she's married throughout her life. Written by the lady herself and frequent 80s collaborator Stephan Bray, the title track to Madonna's powerful, iconic third album exists for the same reason a lot of the album does: as a loving ode to then-husband Sean Penn.

It... basically sounds like a love song, girls. On an album that houses some of the most genre-defining pop songs of all time, I can't help but feel this sugary, borderline-cheesy little number just doesn't fit the fantasy. Plus, y'all know this kind of plain, unabashed outcry of adoration just... isn't my bag. I'm not well adjusted enough for it, and neither are you. There are things I can appreciate about it without actively liking it, however. That sherbet-sweet melody is positively evergreen and as addictive as mass produced candy to boot. It just fizzes. For all that she was and is a terrifying, world-conquering Goliath of a person, Madonna very sweetly laying out the fact she loves going steady with her man is something that she actually manages to sell with a surprising amount of authenticity. But then, Sean has always seemed like the person who got closer than anyone else, so maybe it makes sense that he prompted similarly unique songs too.

I don't have much else to add other than the fact that, being a single from True Blue, it was obviously a massive fucking hit. No.1 in the UK and elsewhere, another Top 5 hit in the US, and a weirdly enduring fan favourite despite Madonna shunning it for decades understandably due to its inspiration. Like I said earlier: pop music is full of love songs written about lovers who eventually become lesser than, and Madonna is no exception... but some of those songs are easier to sing than others.

Outside of its cheesetastic 50s-inspired video where Madonna is almost translucent in how white she is, it was performed on two tours. The first was during the Who's That Girl Tour, where apparently quick change wasn't a thing so they would just put the artist in six tear away outfits instead. In the performance of "True Blue", Madonna wears a wee summer dress over what looks to be the rest of the set's entire wardrobe. It was also performed acoustically during the Rebel Heart Tour over twenty years later. I think that is the defining live version, personally. Enjoy!

8. RJF

RJF

EVERYTHING BELOW IS 8/10 OR HIGHER

Lucky Star
    Borderline
    Burning Up
    Holiday

Material Girl
    Like A Virgin
    Dress You Up

Papa Don't Preach
    Open Your Heart
    Live To Tell
    La Isla Bonita

Like A Prayer
    Express Yourself
    Till Death Do Us Part
    Cherish
    Oh Father

Vogue

Erotica
    Deeper And Deeper
    Bad Girl
    Waiting
    Thief Of Hearts
    Rain

Secret
    Human Nature
    Sanctuary
    Bedtime Story
    Take A Bow

Drowned World/Substitute For Love
    Swim
    Ray Of Light
    Skin
    Nothing Really Matters
    Sky Fits Heaven
    Frozen
    The Power Of Goodbye
    To Have And Not To Hold
    Mer Girl

Music
    Impressive Instant
    Don't Tell Me
    What It Feels Like For A Girl
    Paradise (Not For Me)
    Gone

American Life
    Hollywood
    Love Profusion
    Nothing Fails
    Intervention
    X-Static Process
    Die Another Day
    Easy Ride

Hung Up
    Get Together
    Sorry
    Future Lovers
    Forbidden Love
    Jump
    Isaac

Give It 2 Me
    Miles Away

Devil Pray
    Ghosttown

Medellín (Feat. Maluma)
    God Control
    Crave (Feat. Swae Lee)
    I Don't Search I Find

Into The Groove
    Crazy For You
    Justify My Love
    Rescue Me
    Beautiful Stranger​

9. Angel was done dirty.

10. What score did you give I Deserve It @RJF? It's missing from the original post.

11. Well that makes up for losing a 10 at the start of the page! The evil is defeated!!

What was your score for I Deserve It @RJF?

FridayNight likes this.
  12. RJF

RJF

Oops! It was a 7.5/10 for me. Added now.

13. What was your score for I Deserve It, @RJF - it’s missing in the write-up.

EDIT: Nevermind.
    C2E15646-87AB-46EA-BE38-488A839AE9E5.gif

Andrew.L and berserkboi like this.
  14. Borderline
    Dress You Up
    Open Your Heart
    Cherish
    Devil Pray
    Crazy For You

Just need these six to vacate, everything else is 7+ for me.​

Maki likes this.
  15. Our notifications are about to get lit

[​IMG]

16. I'm still sad about You'll See going.

Music Is Death, DJHazey, Maki and 6 others like this.
  17. Calls for songs to leave every three pages and no one has mentioned my 11 even once, taste

[​IMG]

Maki, Andrew.L and rav4boy like this.
    Music Is Death, K94, evilsin and 26 others like this.
  19. I mean, I gave all those songs (except for Cherish) a 6, so it's not like I hate them. I probably did underscore Borderline a bit though.

Maki likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.