Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE | Page 393 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. RJF

RJF

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SCORE: 8.148

2015 PLACEMENT: UP 19 - 87 of 210 (7.494)

11 x 1
    @theelusivechanteuse

HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 46 (@RJF @nikkysan @Raichu @dodoriazarbon @P'NutButter @eatyourself @HEARTCORE @djmakemewet @discoteca @Euphoria @Doenjang @Angeleyes @Remyky22 @Cutlery @matthew. @Andrew.L @Phonetics Boy @relby @elear @Andy French @fatyoshi @Up Down Suite @godspeed @Sail On @Babylon @Syzygyz @Dreampopboy @NightmareBoy @muddleddreams @Fortune @RetroPhysical @joeee @Xanax @Mister_G @Sleepycat @Lila @evilsin @Digital Ghost @Ramalama @nametag @sexercise @FrozenNight @japanbonustrack @fancygreen @Beautiful Child 2 @Push)
    LOWEST SCORE: 3 x 1 (@unnameable)
    MY SCORE: 10/10

Do our demons ever leave us? We can subscribe to every platitude and legitimate recovery method and process technique known in this world, but they're surely always going to be there. We can lock them away, put them to the furthest, darkest reaches of our mind and steadfastly not look at them. We can even face them directly head on and beat them... but they still will have been there, and done what they did. Even gone, you will be the person you are now because you had to fight them in the first place. And for fuck sake, what if something that's meant to be an incredibly joyous, healing, full circle life event actually brings them back from the dead? Who has the energy to go through all that again?

This is where we find our heroine at the exit to the maze, a manticore waiting for her with the final sting in the tail. On an album where Madonna reckons with her spirituality more than she ever had before, we finish off with a hint that things are maybe not as smooth as the calm surface suggests. Following "Little Star", a song all about the revelation motherhood turned out to be, it makes sense the next track ends up returning to familiar demons: the death of Madonna's own mother, and how the shadow of that death casts long across the birth of her own daughter. We learn in many ways, but one of them is by example. How do you do the second most important job you'll ever have - the first being a popstar, obviously - if you don't have any point of reference? And once again we come back to that weight of expectation from someone who isn't even around to inflict it; living up to a rose-tinted memory of someone you don't even recall. So our heroine runs.

"Mer Girl" holds all of the above in perfect balance. The morbid nature of the lyrics, the production that sounds more like your house settling at night; all creaks and snaps and maybe-silences and think-it-was-the-winds and just-your-imaginations. The vocals like a ghost story winding through the trees. That descending, spiralling, music-box melody that follows "ants marched across my back" frightfully recreating the feeling of something crawling on you; that phantom, irking touch. It also is wonderfully stark outlier in Madonna's discography in the way that... it doesn't actually end her album with any sense of finality here. There are still fights and frights to be had. Scars heal but never fade. You can run, but you can't hide. So you run, and you run, and you run. An easy discography highlight, and one of my favourite Madonna songs of all time.

"Mer Girl" was performed as part of the Drowned World Tour, where... it was basically the bun to a "Sky Fits Heaven" sandwich. Enjoy!

2. Lila

Lila Staff Member

Miss @londonrain has some of my karaoke performances filmed but I don’t know if he has my Like A Virgin so maybe it’s time for another PJ London karaoke meet up

3. Mer Girl deserved Top 50.

4. Lila

Lila Staff Member

@unnameable what’s good?

5. The way ya'll voted Die Another Day and Miles Away better than the likes of Waiting and Mer Girl? The worms..

Push and evilsin like this.
  6. Mer Girl has never been a Ray Of Light fave for me (I still gave it an 8 though), but that write-up definitely gave me a new appreciation for it.

7. Signd Frëüiüd

Analyze this

Analyze this

Analyze this, this, this, this, this

is worth 8 points alone dd

8. LTG

LTG

Once I got stoned in my mate’s uni kitchen and thought it was a great idea to put Mer Girl on the speakers. Three of us, baked, in silence, the other two so confused.

9. Not their taste anyways, given they bombed this and Erotica in favour of giving tens to... *checks notes* Hanky Panky instead?

10. Every other track on the regular edition of Ray of Light. "Mer Girl" and "Has to Be" (bonus track on some editions) were the only tracks on that album to get below 5/10 from me. So much genius....and then I feel "Mer Girl" really lets it down.

Maki likes this.
  11. I ran and I ran...
    I'm still running away
    [​IMG]

The perfect allegorical nightmare that makes you reflect about the implications of past trauma well into adulthood. Embrace your demons, girls

12. "Mer Girl" is such a haunting and unusual song. I stan.

13. And I smelled her burning flesh

Her rotting bones

Her decay

14. I played Mer Girl for a non-Madonna-familiar friend once and after it ended they said what struck them the most about it was how it sounded like she was crying as she was singing. I think about that every time I listen, and it makes the transition into Has To Be (because of course it's on my version of the album as the last song) even more stark to me.

15. Y'all really think Material Girl is better than Mer Girl?
    [​IMG]

16. My lowest remaining score is out. Nice to see that, even if it's kind of bittersweet.

Sorry.mp3, but "Mer Girl" never really clicked with me - it literally made me yawn the first time I heard it. I just can't get into the sonic aspect of the song at all and it has always been my least favourite track from "Ray of Light".
    It's a pity because the lyrics are gorgeous and one of her most vulnerable ones. They just don't come together in a way they could've; the melody is so forgettable and there is literally no progression throughout its entire 5+ minute length. Kind of explains why the song was quite divisive (given that it received almost 50 perfect scores).
    I get that it's a mood piece more than a "regular" song, but so is "Paradise (Not for Me)", and I adore that one.

It yet has to properly grow on me, maybe even as soon as after reading the write up (I haven't read it yet).

Also, now I only have 6+ scores left, so it would be great if one of them left next.

Chezam and unnameable like this.
  17. There aren't many songs that make me just abandon all consciousness and just look to the ground, dissolving into a puddle. I often think about my fear of being uprooted, losing my parents, and how much that must feel like purgatory - but for someone like Madonna, that's almost always been a permanent state. And it doesn't even make it easier to run away. There doesn't seem to be neither a point of origin nor of return and... you never really learn how to live with it?

What a triumph in songwriting, delivery, everything.

18. That's right! (That's right)

phoenix123, matthew., Chezam and 2 others like this.
  19. Anyway.

Yes god!!!!!!!!!!!!

RJF and Mr Blonde like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.