Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE | Page 397 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. I have a feeling it's going to Love Profusion but I'd love to be proven wrong.

2. I love the mythology that Mer Girl as we know it was the first take of the first song of the first session for Ray of Light.

Beautiful Child 2 likes this.
  3. Judging by the day I've had so far it will probably be Impressive Instant which would be shit. However, judging that it's leaped 30 places so far it's well... impressive to say the least.

4. RJF

RJF

[​IMG]

SCORE: 8.185

2015 PLACEMENT: DOWN 9 - 57 of 210 (7.961)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 26 (@AshtrayHeart @cheida @dodoriazarbon @P'NutButter @eatyourself @HEARTCORE @Lucy Honeychurch @sfmartin @AllGagaLike @Suburbia @GimmeWork @Andrew.L @torontodj @BreatheBox @Modeblock @letuinmybackdoor @joeee @Xanax @Lila @KingBruno @Digital Ghost @MrMannacroix @LTG @ufint @nametag @Music Is Life)
    LOWEST SCORE: 4 x 2 (@BTG @Chezam)
    MY SCORE: 8/10

How spooky that this and "Material Girl" are sitting right next to each other once again five years later! I'll maybe have to work on a list that actually shows all the ups and downs between the two rates and post it, perhaps at the end, but it certainly has thrown up a few dramatic changes, along with some eerie similarities.

Now, while "Material Girl" is a song that I never seek out, "Give It 2 Me" is a song that I should probably seek out more, because honestly, what a bop. My problem with a lot of Pharrell's work on Hard Candy is that is just never really coalesces into something that seems complete and full. However, here, we have a fully formed propulsive banger that manages to not only sound entirely modern and contemporary and fresh now, but it also manages to sound so utterly Madonna, which is not something that Hard Candy always manages to achieve.

I used to think that Madonna didn't really have that many autobiographical songs until recently, but doing this rate has made me realise that she's been gassing herself up the whole damn time. I mean, fair, but still. So here we arrive at another song with her basically telling us how much of a bad bitch she is for lasting as long as she has. It was apparently written with that exact sentiment in mind as she wanted to wanted it to be anthemic, and get an entire stadium moving, which... is what it did largely when she performed at the end of all 4,723 dates of the Sticky & Sweet Tour. It's just a just a light, breezy banger full of amazing lines. "Gimme a baseline, I'll shake it. Gimme a record, I'll break it." is an great flex in a song full of them. In a way, it does kind of work as a sequel to "Material Girl", when the titular girl has got everything she wanted and realised she got it all by herself. I don't know. I'm always here for songs where Madonna is telling us just how much of her dust she's made the basics eat along the way. And plus: did she lie? She can go on and on and on. Miss Thing is immune to COVID-19, for fuck sake... I mean after most likely giving it to her entire tour entourage and probably a few people whose beers she drank from in Paris but still. Unkillable!

Despite it being a fairly decent-sized hit internationally, "Give It 2 Me" has never really appeared outside of its parent album's tour. It was the encore performance on Sticky & Sweet where Madonna jumped a lot and, if the official recording is believed, used playback a lot. It also is briefly mashed up with "Celebration" for the encore performance on the MDNA Tour as well. The tea? The MDNA mash up slaps way more than the weirdly monotone Sticky & Sweet treatment. It also got an awful video, which was basically just the behind the scenes of Madonna's ELLE covershoot that year set to music. Enjoy!

5. [​IMG]

Gone too soon. Should be the last 'modern' single left alongside Medillin.

6. It's been 12 years and I'm still annoyed that Give it 2 Me wasn't tied in some way to the boxing theme that everyone forgot about.

7. Shame to see this one go. It’s a great song and a lot of fun. I still can’t believe she gave us all of those boxer visuals inspired by “Give It 2 Me” throughout the era, and yet didn’t deliver a boxing themed video.

Maki likes this.
  8. matthew.

matthew. Staff Member

“Give It 2 Me” was the song my friends were playing when I walked in already drunk during my surprise 21st birthday party! Such a banger that Pharrell turned it into “Blurred Lines”! It deserved it be in longer than “Miles Away” teebs.

9. Yup, should have switched places with "Miles Away", which is still good, but not better.

Zdarlight likes this.
  10. I agree. Miles Away is nice but Give It 2 Me is one of her best bops since...well, 2008. I should have given it a higher score than 8.

Swim can seriously fuck off now. I want to change my 7.5 to a 5.5.

GimmeWork and Future Lover like this.
  11. Issa bop but the synths during the chorus of Give It 2 Me sounded already dated on release date nn. I prefer Miles Away.

stuaw, Chezam, Maki and 5 others like this.
  12. I should've given it a 10 instead of a 9.5 because it really should have been a global SMASH, especially on the heels of 4 Minutes. Just criminal.

13. I harshly scored 'Give it 2 Me' a 7 when realistically it's a solid 8.5. In fact, it's my 2nd most listened to song of the last month. I'm not massively keen on the 'Get Stupid' parts, but I continue to stan either. #66 is more than respectable given what's left.

Womanizer, Maki and dodoriazarbon like this.
  14. R27

R27

The best Hardy Candy track and single remains the last one standing. Give It 2 Me is really good, but I don’t think it’s aged the best (perhaps because it’s a sound Pharrell would return to often). Still, the lyrics are full of great flexes.

Maki likes this.
  15. Give It 2 Me is a remembered hit here, probably as much as 4 Minutes, so she won

Maki likes this.
  16. I get the “get stupid” riffs stuck in my head almost weekly.

ohaimanabu likes this.
  17. I love Give It 2 Me. One of her best bops. The best tracks on Hard Candy have aged like fine wine.

One of the reasons why I love Hard Candy is the killer bass. Madonna loves bass. I remember reading the Vanity Fair article for Erotica and she was in the studio and she kept telling them she wanted more bass.

I've said it before, but if you really want to test your audio to see how good it is, put on Erotica or Hard Candy.

That bass will tell you...

18. The remixes for Give It 2 Me remain fire, particularly Jody den Broeder’s which sounds like what will play during the spin class Madonna will be teaching in 12,000 years as the sun implodes

19. Is this an outtake from the Long Hot Summer video?

20. Give It To Me - 7. A good example of its type and listenable but just not my thing. It did get the third highest score on the album.

Happy Miles Away is the last Hard Candy track standing.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.