Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE | Page 401 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Yeah, "Love Profusion" can be called filler-ish, repetitive and a bit out of depth, but there's something beautiful and compelling about it that I enjoy listening to it every time. Whether if it's that lovely melody or Madonna's gorgeous delivery, it always feels like a perfectly whelming song, despite not being perfect as a whole. Also, it literally serves as a sum up of the entire sonic aspect of "American Life", which was enough to get an 8 from me (and I always think I like it more than that).
    The video is also very, very pleasing in its simplicity, too.

However, it seems like such a random song to garner so many strong emotions, both ways (two 11's and a bunch of detractors, including @RJF, seems a bit too much).
    It went at around the perfect time, and as obviously the weakest single from that album, even though I could see it last a bit longer.

FridayNight, acl, Womanizer and 8 others like this.
  2. @RJF saying that Love Profusion was DOWN 7 from 72 to 65 when it was actually UP

I call that STATE PROPAGANDA!

3. RJF

RJF

[​IMG]

4. This cant be said enough, her ability or her teams ability to choose the right singles is unparalleled with . They just knew how to do it. The only times I believe they dropped the ball with choosing singles was with MDNA (Love Spent, I'm Addicted and Gang Bang would have done the job better I believe), and I'd have choosen Nothing Fails as the first single of American Life, it'd probably have smashed so hard like #1 in the US and the UK and then go with American Life as the third single. Other than that it has always been perfect, or quite close to it.

Beautiful Child 2 likes this.
  5. Love Profusion - 8.5. I just like the way the production fluctuates and I enjoy the melody. I don't mind the repetition at the end because it has a, um, profusion of bleepy synths underneath which I love, and indicates a sense of urgency.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
    acl, Womanizer, Crisp X and 2 others like this.
  6. The strong reactions to Love Profusion were new for me.
    Probably one of the first (Madge) songs I've ever heard, used to stand together with Confessions + Frozen in my brother's computer. And I was so young but the overall mood of the song was very pleasing. When I decided to dive on my own to know pop's discography, I was surprised by the whole American Life (and that Frozen + Love Profusion weren't part of the same album dd). After all these years, I've warmed over many other songs but there's still a nice spot for Love Profusion.

Lyrics might be a bit clunky and rhyme-dictionary but I do love the instrumental and it's soft wave of bleepbloop\glitch and acoustic pop, it's a nice example Madonna+Mirwais multifaceted talents.

8. Love Profusion is... fine. It's certainly the most beige song on American Life, I absolutely hate everything about the imagery surrounding its release. And I hated that they abandoned the Patty Hearst imagery so quickly and used that GAP ad to promote Love Profusion AND Nothing Fails.

Mr Blonde and relby like this.
  9. I used to low-key kinda hate Love Profusion, but it grew on me massively over the years. I suppose you could say that it got... under my skin lol.

Although, out of the all the all time classics she's served over the years and then choosing that as your 11? That I don't agree with.

10. Love Profusion is so good, but there's definitely something missing from it. I feel like anyone other than Madonna could have done it. Had I participated in that rate a few years back i feel i would have been dragged for giving it a high rate!

(I need to not miss the next one of these)

Andrew.L likes this.
  11. Love Profusion and Hollywood (why is that mess still in, ddd) are two of the worst offenders when it comes to American Life's rhyming dictionary realness. Worse still, will I ever not cringe at "And I know, I can feel bad / When I get in a bad mood"? Doubtful.

I guess the male backing vocals on Love Profusion are nice, though ... and it does look like a good song to strut down the street to.

To make matters even worse, it was just a very confusing time to be a Madonna fan when Love Profusion was released/Nothing Fails got aborted. I mean, in a very short time span, she had gone from being an outspoken brunette in a beret and Breton top to being a blonde lady of the manor in flowery dresses and sensible Mary Jane shoes who, when she wasn't writing children's books, enjoyed the occasional lesbian and/or jeans selling dalliance with more of-the-moment pop stars in a seemingly desperate attempt to win back the favour of the GP.

You thought the mid-90's ballad drought was bad? Girl ...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
  12. Ok but Lady of the Manor Madonna was
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    game and making some of the most important work of her career.

13. Love Profusion felt like a hit with it's inclusion on that advert that seemed to be everywhere...

Of course, 11 contender, Nothing Fails getting paid absolute dust as a single will never sit well with me.

14. RJF

RJF

I'm busy tonight, so let's have a MORNING elimination, followed by an afternoon elimination.

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 8.23

2015 PLACEMENT: UP 7 - 71 of 210 (7.71)

11 x 1
    @Pop Life

HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 30 (@nikkysan @Vasilios @djmakemewet @tylerc904 @Phonetics Boy @relby @Jonathan27 @Andy French @torontodj @NightmareBoy @BreatheBox @Modeblock @Hurricane Drunk @Robsolete @RetroPhysical @joeee @Xanax @Jimmyandroid @JonBcn @Epic Chocolat @Mister_G @Lila @clowezra @Remorque @Digital Ghost @Trinu 3.0 @MrMannacroix @ufint @japanbonustrack @tommylander)
    LOWEST SCORE: 3 x 2 (@CasperFan @Verandi)
    MY SCORE: 5.5/10

Music is really starting to shrink! Miss @Pop Life is gonna kill me for this score, but... I can't be that cut up about the fact that "Gone" is, well, gone. I just don't find it all that compelling from any angle. On an album that has its best moments when it pushes the envelope a little, ending on a fairly maudlin torch song makes an already spotty project feel a little flat to me, regardless of the sentiment of the lyrics. It's probably the most interesting Orbit collaboration on the album from a lyrical standpoint, actually, but it just doesn't cut it in other areas when Mirwais felt like he was genuinely breaking new ground elsewhere. It happens. William Orbit had his time, I guess.

While sonically I find it a snooze, I do like the overall message, which I take to be choosing to not change and warp yourself into a different person just to fit into someone's ideal mould for a partner. You might even say that the song all about...

[​IMG]

But yes, the song is basically all about how hell will freeze over before Madonna changes herself for any man, which is... interesting in hindsight, when we think back to other songs on this album where she's obviously besotted with her new husband. It's a weird sentiment to wrap up on. Weirder still, the idea of fitting to someone's idea of you, or becoming a lesser version of yourself in the shadow of someone else's love, is something that she would revisit on the next album. I guess all the signs are there if you look hard enough, but still a shame that it played out over a decade. I don't think she was completely gone when it happened.

The song was performed during Drowned World Tour, with Madonna standing in the beam of a spotlight and just... belting it out. A fittingly drab performance for it, tbh. Enjoy!

15. I do really like I Deserve It and Gone but they were definitely just warm-ups for what was to come on American Life.

So was the rest of the Music album bar the singles.

Chezam likes this.
  16. Lila

Lila Staff Member

I literally hate this website.

17. It's a nice coincidence that "Gone" is leaving right after "Love Profusion", because I consider both of them a sonic encapsulation of their respective parent albums. While I expected it to end up as the longest lasting non-single from "Music" (as it was in the 2015 rate), I'm actually pleased that both "Impressive Instant" and "Paradise (Not for Me)" outlasted it. Poor "Runaway Lover" i.e. the best album track.

"Gone" has something affecting about it that makes it a lovely album closer, so I rated it higher in comparison to "Love Profusion". Again, her vocal delivery is gorgeous. Those fragile "turn to stone... lose my faith" additional vocals during the final chorus make me melt.

Even though I'm not mad about its departure, there are plenty of weaker songs still lingering.

18. It's interesting that a song that screams divorce came as the closer of Music, when others like I Deserve It and Impressive Instant were all about M giving herself to marriage and its joy?

Maki and Womanizer like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.