Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE | Page 404 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. :') i miss you too baby

2. The only top in this thread is the artist we are rating.

3. Hanky Panky (Bossy Bottoms Mix)

4. I think Sorry is one of my favorite Madonna songs dd. But I could say that about half her catalogue at least.

5. Lettttt'sssssssssssssssss geeeetttt unconshhsshshshshshshhssisusisussususssssssss

[​IMG]

A 12.

6. Aww I would've liked to have at least one Hard Candy song make it a bit further but this is a decent showing for it all around!

I've spoken on this before, but I've always been a bit biased to it as an album as it was my first Madonna album; I wasn't allowed to listen to secular music until high school and I snatched it up with a stack of other used albums at a local store (along with Kylie's X) with my mom being none the wiser. That said, I do think Hard Candy succeeds on its own merits as an album: it holds together remarkably well and while I do think there's credence to the criticisms it doesn't feel quite like a Madonna album at times, it still mostly comes across like everyone involved in the project realized they were working with the pop star of our lifetimes.

I will also go to bat and say Hard Candy is infinitely more worthy of the title of Madonna's divorce album than MDNA and it's completely down to marketing that the latter has been saddled with that title over the former. The decay and dissolution feels far more nuanced as it's captured in real time: Miles Away, Devil Wouldn't Recognize You, She's Not Me, Voices and Incredible all feel more visceral than most of MDNA to me, and the songs about dancing through that pain are tinged with what I see as intentional empowerment. It's not in my top 5 Madonna albums but it's one that I return to very often as I'm always a sucker for bittersweet mid/up-tempo numbers and I've rarely met a Pharrell production that didn't scratch that Neptunes itch. Time has given me perspective on why this isn't the case for everyone with Hard Candy, but I greatly appreciate it for its place in her discography.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
  7. [​IMG]

8. selling out is not my thing
    walk away
    I won't be broken again

[​IMG]

9. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Ffffff being the lowest scorer doesn't suit me I hate it.

Holly Something, Maki and evilsin like this.
  10. Why should I feel said of what I never had?

11. I can’t believe (or maybe I can) Easy Ride being called to leave now. Some of you have never touched the ground and come full circle and it shows.

12. Gone - 9.5. Third best song on the album. The lyrics speak to me about keeping faith with yourself, staying true to who you are and not letting anybody or any circumstance affect your innate self.

Maki and Pop Life like this.
  13. Miles Away - 9. My favourite song on the album by, um, miles. The melody is gorgeous and the production compliments it instead of being overpowering. The song is very affecting and what gets to me the most is the bittersweet feeling that someone could easily sing it about me.

Maki and relby like this.
  14. Well then maybe you should have given Miles Away a better score than a fucking 4.
    [​IMG]

15. 2014

2014 Staff Member

[​IMG]

I just find it... plodding and compared to everything else it wasn't worth of more points from me. Apols! x

Holly Something likes this.
  16. I...would really like Intervention, Easy Ride, and that other one from American Life to leave now. I love Hollywood, Die Another Day, and the title track but I’ve never really seen what everyone sees in that album.

17. I’m gonna just let you know that you have the objectively wrong opinion on this subject, please eat glass.

18. Sis you're a Lana fan and you don't see why us cigs would collectively stan areligious electro-acoustic ballad Nothing Fails??

19. Some of you really love to be both loud and wrong when it comes to American Life, huh?

20. Easy Ride is going nowhere.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.