Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE | Page 406 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

2. Happy for Miles Away to win out on Hard Candy, it'd probably be higher in my overall ranking because I listened to it to death during a tough time the year after it came out. I think it's a lowkey pretty devastating song.

Intervention can GO. Never understood so many people warming to such a basic, cutesy song. By far my least favourite song left.

Thief of Hearts being the only Erotica album track left over... also a choice, but okay.

3. Did @RJF channel Madame X and cancelled last night's show at the last minute?
    Hope our host is alright.

4. She sounds amazing on Intervention but totes agree on both this going now along with the way overrated Thief.

nametag and MilesAngel like this.
  5. Intervention is a cute 7.5, a gorgeous ode to her son but really, it's nothing spectacular. Especially when you consider more lyrically and sonically ambitious songs like Secret Garden, Waiting and Sanctuary all left before it.

nametag and Phonetics Girl like this.
  6. Me waiting for the eliminations...

[​IMG]

Mr Blonde, Maki and MilesAngel like this.
  7. RJF

RJF

Sorry y'all! I was gripped by such a severe case of weekend ennui brought on by drinking six beers and an entire bottle of gin on Friday night that I... fell asleep at 9PM and didn't awaken for twelve hours. I will be doing four eliminations tonight to make up for it.

8. King.

9. I'm still in mourning for Sanctuary. Not even top 70?! What did she do to deserve this?

soratami likes this.
  11. RJF

RJF

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 8.248

2015 PLACEMENT: DOWN 13 - 48 of 210 (8.127)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 31 (@RJF @nikkysan @dodoriazarbon @eatyourself @Sprockrooster @OSHi @Remyky22 @Cutlery @Suburbia @soratami @GimmeWork @dylanaber @Ana Raquel @Andy French @1991 @Syzygyz @Sideout @RetroPhysical @Zdarlight @joeee @DinahLee @BEST FICTION @joe_alouder @KingBruno @eliminathan @Remorque @acl @ufint @RainOnFire @Mr Blonde @Music Is Life @Push)
    LOWEST SCORE: 2 x 1 (@nanafan)
    MY SCORE: 10/10

I initially thought that this song had had a really severe tumble when I saw it was at No.48 in the original rate, but then I realised how close we are to the Top 40 now... Shit.

I said it a few eliminations ago, but Madonna produces some of her best work when her back is against the wall, so it makes sense that a song that is essentially all about the fight or flight response is also one of her best. Sitting at the heart of Confessions On A Dance Floor as a slightly weird outlier that abruptly brings the non-stop disco to a grinding halt, I remember initially disliking it, before realising how crucial it is to setting the stage for the back half of the album, where things get a little more spiritual.

One of the greatest ironies about "Isaac" is that it courted religious controversy without Madonna even trying. No, seriously. I don't even think she's lying when she says that! ...this time, at least. A group of Israeli rabbis took issue with the song, claiming that Madonna was blaspheming their religion by apparently making a song about Yitzhak Luria, who Google tells me is generally considering the father of modern day Kabbalah. I mean... they're not entirely crazy for making the leap. However, "Isaac" is actually named after the man who is sings the chorus, Yitzhak Sinwani, who is... a Kabbalah practitioner (I think?) who Madonna asked to sing one day in the studio. He sang portions of the Yemenite Hebrew poem "Im Nin'alu" and Madonna wrote what would become "Isaac" around what he laid down.

I love this. I'm not particularly familiar with Kabbalah because, shockingly, I wasn't one of the fans who got into it just because Madonna did (HER POWER.) but the song is basically always about consistently challenging your own limits and boundaries, something that Queen is all too familiar with. In general, the lyrics are pretty simple, but also just... really fucking good. "Remember, remember, never forget: all of your life has all been a test." is an S-Grade Madonna Lyric; someone who has spent a large part of her career at pop's darkest, murkiest edges, always pushing them further and shedding more light on them in the process, never resting on her laurels, and even when she has achieved everything humanly possible, she wants to do even more. The song was nearly even called "Fear Of Flying" because of these themes, because according to Madonna, a fear of flying is all about a loss of control, and not wanting to go outside your comfort zone. I think it's also about being 30,000 feet in the air, but work sis. But yes, an incredible, sprawling, atmospheric album track, and beautifully written about a subject that Madonna slays in. Perfect.

"Isaac" was performed as part of the Confessions Tour, and is... an absolute highlight of the whole thing to be honest. While a cloaked dancer swirls in a cage on the main stage, Madonna prowls up the catwalk before the dancer grandly throws her cape away and the lady herself kicks it into high drag choreography for the final section. The titular Isaac even sings here, as he joined Madonna on tour for both this track and the random deep cut choice of "Paradise (Not For Me)", which just compounds Best Setlist Ever claims. Enjoy!

12. Isaac is fucking incredible. Absolutely a Confessions highlight and an absolute banger in the purest sense.

Also, the Offer Nissim mix that incorporates Ofra Haza is excellence:

13. Isaac is so powerful and I totally agree that it’s one of the (many) highlights of the Confessions Tour.

Cutlery likes this.
  14. Isaac is an incredible song from start to finish. The lyrics show American Life-esque depth, the production is immaculate, the swirling desert that runs throughout, the fact that my Grandma constantly asks me to play it when I'm over... Queen.

Bye to Hard Candy and double bye to Gone, you won't be missed.

15. How in God's name is Impressive Instant a better song than fucking Isaac?????

BeingNormal, Remyky22, acl and 9 others like this.
  16. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Hmmm Isaac deserved so much more.

17. Definitely did not expect Isaac to go out now, wow...

Maki and Chezam like this.
  18. They’re both great but Impressive Instant is the better of the two.

19. Oh wow. I did not expect "Isaac" to leave at this point - it's my third highest score from that album and deserved so much more.
    How the heck did "Future Lovers" outlast "Isaac"?!

R27 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.