Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE | Page 412 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. RJF

RJF

So I guess we really are just starting to pick into my high scores huh.

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 8.355

2015 PLACEMENT: DOWN 16 - 41 of 210 (8.279)

11 x 1
    @Candy Perfume Girl

HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 31 (@AshtrayHeart @Raichu @dodoriazarbon @eatyourself @Euphoria @sfmartin @DJHazey @Remyky22 @AllGagaLike @Suburbia @soratami @Endothelium @dylanaber @elear @godspeed @torontodj @NightmareBoy @scottdisick94 @Drew @RetroPhysical @joeee @VeryPSB @Miss Lange @clowezra @Digital Ghost @Trinu 3.0 @acl @LTG @nametag @FrozenNight @japanbonustrack)
    LOWEST SCORE: 5 x 2 (@Angeleyes @matthew.)
    MY SCORE: 9.5/10

A glittering, disco-drizzled, melancholic mid-tempo about love that can't happen but is anyway?

[​IMG]

I... don't think there really needs to be much of a story behind this one? I've spoken so much about how potent yearning for the forbidden is in pop in the last few nights of eliminations, so I'm not going to labour the point again. "Forbidden Love" is just a very, very, very good pop song all the way round. It's utterly air-tight. That topline is one the finest on an album full of them, the mood and the cadence of Madonna's voice is perfect, and it's perfectly placed in the mixed version of the album too. Yeah, I generally don't have much else to say. Sometimes the only thing to be said that is that a pop song is a very, very, very good. So that is where we will leave it, I think.

...Apart from the fact that we haven't yet discussed the performance from Confessions Tour, which is spectacular. After delivering an iconic rendition of "Live To Tell", the tone switches gears, and Madonna performs the track as she vamps about that diamond-encrusted cross. All the while, two dancers, one emblazoned with the star and crescent, the other with the Star of David, perform legitimately elaborate arm and hand choreography that puts Britney to shame. Madonna then joins in on proceedings, in what must have been one of the most tightly rehearsed numbers when they were in production. It's just so fast, and seamless, and complicated. The point is a fairly glib "everybody say love!" message, but the delivery is spell binding to watch. It's probably one of my most listened to/watched Madonna performances ever. Enjoy!

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
  2. This "Bedtime Story" bait. Hmm...

3. God she looked absolutely resplendent on the Confessions Tour didn't she. Even that thumbnail is a serve.

4. RJF

RJF

Lucky Star
    Borderline
    Burning Up
    Holiday

Like A Virgin
    Dress You Up

Papa Don't Preach
    Open Your Heart
    Live To Tell
    La Isla Bonita

Like A Prayer
    Express Yourself
    Till Death Do Us Part
    Cherish
    Oh Father

Vogue

Erotica
    Deeper And Deeper
    Bad Girl
    Rain

Secret
    Human Nature
    Bedtime Story
    Take A Bow

Drowned World/Substitute For Love
    Ray Of Light
    Skin
    Nothing Really Matters
    Sky Fits Heaven
    Frozen
    The Power Of Goodbye

Music
    Impressive Instant
    Don't Tell Me
    What It Feels Like For A Girl
    Paradise (Not For Me)

American Life
    Hollywood
    Nothing Fails
    Intervention
    X-Static Process
    Die Another Day
    Easy Ride

Hung Up
    Get Together
    Sorry
    Future Lovers
    Jump

Ghosttown

Medellín (Feat. Maluma)
    God Control

Into The Groove
    Crazy For You
    Justify My Love
    Rescue Me
    Beautiful Stranger​

5. "Forbidden Love" not being the highest rated non-single from "Confessions on a Dance Floor" is a shock (even though that title should belong to "Isaac").

I still don't get what exactly people hear in "Future Lovers". It surely must be going very soon.
    It's literally my least favourite song from that album, along with "New York", and one of my lowest remaining scores.

6. RJF

RJF

I cannot believe we're going to be approaching the Top 40 by the end of the week...

7. Forbidden Love is quite possibly my favourite Madonna Album Track, so I am delighted it did well! Love that @RJF ’s write up also highlights the Tour performance! Seemingly straight forward but so meticulous in the detail - probably the best Arm/Hand Choreography there has ever been!

8. Also, a reminder that we lost the superior "Forbidden Love" about 100 eliminations too early:

9. I still don't get how you process most music?

10. @Maki is a straight male.

11. So's Madonna?

12. Shocked, as I thought Forbidden Love (2005) was more appreciated. That said, it "only" got an 8.5 from me, so this is the right time for it

Maki likes this.
  13. Whew, the list of remaining songs really just gets more and more bulletproof, doesn't it? Many of the greatest songs in pop music history are before us. But Our Gee F** only has one photo in her hands.

Music Is Death, evilsin, acl and 14 others like this.
  15. Swim and Forbidden Love are just so clearly some of her most accomplished tracks from two of her most accomplished albums. That they made it this far when there’s so many iconic singles between them and the final is pretty good going.

16. The superior 'Forbidden Love' should not be out before a few of the songs left. I gave it 9 because the lyrics, though great, are a bit repetitive. But the soundscape is amazing and the synths are some of the most beautiful I've heard, my favourite part being 1.24-1.40.

17. It’s nice not to be losing 10’s... 2 x 7’s infact, though I have one lower left (also from Ray Of Light).

18. This run of eliminations is killing me.

American Life & Ray of Light having the joint-most number of tracks left is a moment that is most pleasing to me though. I thought by this stage in the game the former would have taken more hits.

19. Take A Bow and Ghosttown next out, please.

Jwentz and OSHi like this.
  20. I kinda wish Crave was top 10 teens.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.