Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE | Page 415 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. She SHOWED ME her BUSH

2. "I love you, Madonna... You little shit."

3. Moira is worthy of a role in the biopic.

4. Can you imagine Madonna's synopsis of her in the screenplay?

"One thing about Moira... she wasn't Madonna."

relby and joeee like this.
  5. Laurie Metcalf or no one

Womanizer, relby and rav4boy like this.
  6. Her response when Julia Garner politely declines to being the baby’s godmother.

upload_2020-9-1_19-43-52.gif

7. Her response when a reporter asks her what's it like to be the childhood friend of the woman who grew up to be the most famous person in the world.

[​IMG]

8. I just read the non-authorized Blonde Ambition screenplay (easily found online). And it left a bad taste in my mouth; I can't even imagine how M must have felt herself.

There are inaccuracies galore (Lucky Star and Borderline were supposed to be for her band Emmy, WHAT?), and the hero ends up being none other than Jellybean who M ends up coldly screwing over.

I wonder if reading this crap was what inspired her to take matters into her hands and finally work on her own biopic.

Andy French and joeee like this.
  9. Wendy Williams presents... Moirebel Heart: An Unauthorized Lifetime Original.

[​IMG]
    Muhdawna doesn't wanna be the godmother. This is fine. Oi'm fine.

10. Can we just crack on please, the girls have been losing it all day,

and too think one sick binch was calling for Take A Bow’s elimination.

grim

ohaimanabu, JMRGBY and MilesAngel like this.
  11. [​IMG]

12. RJF

RJF

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SCORE: 8.355

2015 PLACEMENT: DOWN 22 - 34 of 210 (8.473)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 28 (@aux @cheida @Jwentz @eatyourself @GimmeWork @Up Down Suite @torontodj @1991 @Joe. @Dreampopboy @DominoDancing @MilesAngel @unnameable @RetroPhysical @VeryPSB @Bleu Noir @Miss Lange @Crisp X @Sleepycat @phoenix123 @Pop Life @clowezra @Remorque @Digital Ghost @MrMannacroix @nametag @happiestgirl @japanbonustrack)
    LOWEST SCORE: 4 x 1 (@Aester)
    MY SCORE: 7.5/10

Surprised? Or... not? It's been a long time since we had a debut cut but we arrive at our next one with the iconic "Lucky Star" making its exit a massive twenty plus spots lower than it did in 2015. What went wrong? Did anything go wrong? I think this is always a song that was going to do well, but not really well. I mean, the scores really tell a bigger story than the ranking a lot of the time in this rate, and nearly thirty 10/10s would win you some rates... but not here, in the (did I mention?) the biggest rate the forum has ever seen. Personally, this is... cute. I like it; there's nothing I dislike it about it, but... this is the Madonna Discography Rate, and faint praise will not get you far.

Originally very nearly the title track for Madonna's debut album, it was in the pack of tracks that Reggie Lucas produced for the album, before being redone by Jellybean for the final mix, despite the latter not appearing on the official credits, from what I can see. Madonna had originally written it to be played at Danceteria like a lot of the demo tracks she was carrying around, before it finally made the cut. It was the first of Madonna's record-breaking streak of sixteen Top 5 songs in a fucking row. Imagine having a fave that didn't release anything other than a Top 5 hit for sixteen singles. I mean, I don't have to imagine, of course, but poor y'all who stan anyone else.

Is there... anything more 80s than this? That synth that sounds like a shooting star from an 8-bit video game or some arcade shit those nerds who run Stranger Things would fetishise between people getting eaten or whatever happens in that show. The bounce and zip of that guitar, and of course Madonna's cheeky af baby voice vocals, which are just... loaded with charm. I also enjoy the double meaning of "You may be my lucky star, but I'm the luckiest by far." Like... is she saying that she is lucky to have found this source of good fortune, or is she saying that she, in fact, is the bigger lucky star? Barely three singles out and already a DOM.

Speaking of things that couldn't be more 80s if they tried: the video, which is objectively one of Madonna's worst. The poor lighting, the even poorer camera work, the Zumba choreography... but you're hooked by that opening glamour shot and stick around just because of that face (when it isn't half in darkness) and those moves. Working it without even so much as a backdrop. It was also performed on four tours as part of official setlists. We have The Virgin Tour, Who's That Girl, the weird ass Rebel Heart Tour medley, and on the Confessions Tour, where... it's basically designed to edge us with the promise of "Hung Up" for four minutes. I say edge, but reader, I shot my load. Enjoy!

13. RJF

RJF

Not me not realising that this in fact tied with "Forbidden Love" until I updated the leaderboard just there. So there are two 56s and no 57! Oop.

14. WHAT. I'm going to flip a table.

15. Wow I didn't expect that!

16. LTG

LTG

Wtf, how is Take a Bow still in over Lucky Star??

17. Anyone who gave Lucky Star less than a 8 is going straight to Hell.

18. Lila

Lila Staff Member

What the fuck!!!!!

19. A legendary record starter, but whew that pre-MS Paint cover paired with that video really showed no budget, did they?

ohaimanabu likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.