Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE | Page 416 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Swim and Lucky Star?

2. What the fuck.

Edit: I actually thought I gave this a 10. Wow.

phoenix123 and DominoDancing like this.
  3. Given what's left, now seems like a good time for Lucky Star to get eliminated tbh.

4. RJF

RJF

Y'all think that's bad?

[​IMG]

SCORE: 8.358

2015 PLACEMENT: UP 21 - 76 of 210 (7.647)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 54 (@RJF @nikkysan @Tigerlily @Vasilios @No hay banda @P'NutButter @djmakemewet @discoteca @maverick_79 @sfmartin @OSHi @JMRGBY @Remyky22 @AllGagaLike @Cutlery @Suburbia @soratami @Endothelium @Mirwais Ahmadzaï @dylanaber @relby @Jonathan27 @elear @fatyoshi @Up Down Suite @torontodj @theelusivechanteuse @Aester @Dreampopboy @NightmareBoy @Modeblock @muddleddreams @Robsolete @Fortune @MilesAngel @RetroPhysical @Zdarlight @joeee @Xanax @VeryPSB @TrueBeliever @JonBcn @BEST FICTION @Candy Perfume Girl @Pop Life @clowezra @TheChoirgirlHotel @KingBruno @Digital Ghost @acl @Mr Blonde @FrozenNight @japanbonustrack @Weslicious)
    LOWEST SCORE: 3 x 1 (@Verandi... mess)
    MY SCORE: 10/10

So let me get this straight... or gay actually: y'all kick out Music's single legitimately great album track and leave in the nonsense song set to a trance beat. Disappointed, but not surprised I guess.

A light? Above my head? It's more likely than you think.

I think this might be Madonna's best produced track. It's like... intensely polished chrome. Absolutely gleaming; not a single blemish or dark spot. The way it holds so many moving elements perfectly. From the moment those synths hit like water drops slipping off leaves into into a puddle, you know you're in for an absolute masterclass, and... it is. I have literally no complaints about this track; not a single issue. I don't even care that I don't know what it's about, because it's all about mood. How it begins icy and hard and distant and slowly melts into something warm and tender and open; how even Madonna's treated vocals slowly begin to crack as more emotion is allowed to filter through while the strings swell beneath her, bringing the whole thing to a weirdly emotional apex. There's sadness, and love, and... a quiet resignation to the whole thing, and "Into your eyes, my face remains." is one of Madonna's best lyrics. Is she talking about seeing her face reflected in a lover's eyes as she's held by them? Or is she talking about how her image permeates pop culture and is held in the mind of so many people? Who can ever be sure?

There doesn't seem to be much of a consensus about what the track is even about, but the above one is probably the one that interests me the most: is "Paradise" a song about how restrictive Madonna finds everyone's pre-conceived notions of her and how stuff like being branded The Material Girl becomes limiting? It's not really a subject she's ever tackled directly, but it's definitely an interesting one, especially now as she refuses to conform to what people want from her. Is the idea of Madonna - and even the memories that fans cherish as iconic Madonna moments or eras and therefore hold against her as a standard - something that can stymie Madonna the person? The perpetual spotlight above her head, blinding her for so long she can no longer remember a time she wasn't held in it; if she rose up, it would swing up to follow her. If she tumbled down, it would illuminate every humiliating detail. UGH. THIS FUCKING SONG. But singy singy wingy wingy I guess??????

A quick bit about what I do know for sure about this track, however. It was actually the first thing we heard from Madonna's work with Mirwais Ahmadzaï. Appearing on his own album before eventually appearing on Music, it was the first taste of what she was up to on her new record. Poor the fans; the album really didn't house anything better than this.

The song originally appeared during a Madonna live show on the Drowned World Tour, where... it basically got a video shot for it as it acted as an interlude. The video... is probably not something she would get away with these days, but it is gorgeous. Even more gorgeous? The Confessions Tour performance, where she dusted it off and performed it during the much-earned ballad section that was obviously designed to let her catch her breath a bit. It's a stunning performance; the acoustic treatment makes the song just glow. And right after fucking "Drowned World", no less. There was not a single misstep in the sequencing and setlist choices of the Confessions Tour. NONE. For Drowned World, I've included the raw video, along with what is happening on stage as it played. Enjoy!

5. RJF

RJF

Are things painful yet, girls?

REMAINING SONGS

Borderline
    Burning Up
    Holiday

Like A Virgin
    Dress You Up

Papa Don't Preach
    Open Your Heart
    Live To Tell
    La Isla Bonita

Like A Prayer
    Express Yourself
    Till Death Do Us Part
    Cherish
    Oh Father

Vogue

Erotica
    Deeper And Deeper
    Bad Girl
    Rain

Secret
    Human Nature
    Bedtime Story
    Take A Bow

Drowned World/Substitute For Love
    Ray Of Light
    Skin
    Nothing Really Matters
    Sky Fits Heaven
    Frozen
    The Power Of Goodbye

Music
    Impressive Instant
    Don't Tell Me
    What It Feels Like For A Girl

American Life
    Hollywood
    Nothing Fails
    Intervention
    X-Static Process
    Die Another Day
    Easy Ride

Hung Up
    Get Together
    Sorry
    Future Lovers
    Jump

Ghosttown

Medellín (Feat. Maluma)
    God Control

Into The Groove
    Crazy For You
    Justify My Love
    Rescue Me
    Beautiful Stranger​

Music Is Death, evilsin, acl and 31 others like this.
  6. Lucky Star - 10. My favourite song on the debut and one of my favourite 80's tracks. Love those twinkling synths and the funky guitar.

7. It’s been a painful day.

phoenix123, DJHazey and relby like this.
  8. I'm ... skeptically fine with the great Lucky Star leaving, even though I would've preferred Like a Virgin or Holiday.

Paradise (Not for Me) was ROBBED of a top 40/50 placement.

9. Wow. I expected both of these to stick around a lot longer.

10. RJF

RJF

Four songs between us and the Top 50... who ain't making it?

Maki likes this.
  11. I demand a recount!

Maki and DJHazey like this.
  12. I'm....shocked edit: about Lucky Star nn.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
    DJHazey likes this.
  13. Paradise (Not For Me) - 10. It's the best song on the album and an absolute masterpiece. For it to be leaving now is devastating.

Maki and Aester like this.
  14. Paradise is incredible. Incredible. I still can’t believe I gave it a 9.5 when it honestly is 11-worthy.

Maki, ohaimanabu and Aester like this.
  15. That time I got really stoned with my b*yfriend and we danced around the apartment to Paradise (Not For Me) and I came this close to making him a Madonna stan for life. A journey!

16. My guesses would be any of these 6:

Till Death Do Us Part
    Cherish
    Bad Girl
    Take A Bow
    Impressive Instant
    Ghosttown

NOT based on my personal taste.

DJHazey, Dangerous Maknae and relby like this.
  17. Paradise is sat on her top 5 album tracks. One of my favorites. It's just magical, poignant, and one of the songs in the album that, for me, makes the most sense thematically coming off the back of Ray of Light. The Confessions outing sounded great, including Yitzhak joining her in a little duet moment of whatever. You can feel the emotional depth seep right through the screen.
    Also you're dead to me @Verandi !

Maki, Womanizer, Future Lover and 2 others like this.
  18. I've read a lot of people saying Take A Bow should or could leave soon over the past few days and it's a shame because it's a 10.

Aester and Andrew.L like this.
  19. LTG

LTG

I scored quite high, but these are the only remaining songs I gave less than a 9, so they can go before the absolute top.

20. Impressive Instant and Die Another Day are my lowest scores left so I would like them gone next.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.