Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE | Page 424 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Still thinking about the pearl clutching to "Bitch I'm Madonna" in 2020

2. The Ghosttown/Bitch era wig is maybe her best hair in 15 years. When she’d occasionally plop it on for the live show... whoever saw her perform in it WON.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
    aaronhansome and Lila like this.
  3. M24

M24

Wow, we almost made it to the top 50! Can't believe it. God Control is definitely the one song from the 2010s that deserves its place there, I hope I won't jinx it. It just feels like a classic in so many ways already. Ghosttown and Medellin rounding up the top three from the 10s is also something I agree with.

Also, not to beat a dead horse, but poor @Verandi had to be dragged for his Paradise (Not For Me) score when I only gave it half a point more... I'm lucky our host is kind enough not to include a second lowest scorer in the elimination posts. It's a bit too experimental for me, and the computer bleeps around the one minute mark completely put me off every time I listen to it. Maybe over the years I'll learn to love it, I don't know.

I'm surprised it got this far, sometimes experimental/quirky Madonna gets all the praises here... and sometimes the opposite (see Gang Bang, I'm So Stupid, Killers Who Are Partying). I guess it's got to do with the lyrical content? I don't know.

Anyway, my lowest scores now are:
    Holiday (5.5)
    Cherish (6)
    Intervention (5.5)
    X-Static Process (6)
    Future Lovers (6)
    Rescue Me (6)
    Beautiful Stranger (5.5)

I think I agree with the rest of the songs making the top fifty.

4. R27

R27

I gave both 8s, but I probably underscored Medelin a bit. I stand by my 8 for Ghosttown though. It's really well-constructed, produced, and delivered, but perhaps a little too polished and straightforward for it's own good.

Mr Blonde likes this.
  5. I expected Medellín to reach the top 50 to be honest.

I do think we need a mini 80s cull.

6. If Impressive Instant makes it 6 more places (to 47 ) it will have jumped 50 places.

I'm in

stuaw, Maki and 2014 like this.
  7. The thought of anything from Madonna X being in the top 50 is giving me hives.

MilesAngel likes this.
  8. RJF

RJF

Our final cut before the Top 50 today...

9. "Devil Disorganization"

10. Except most of the remaining American Life tracks are 19s, so I won't stand for this.

[​IMG]

11. RJF

RJF

[​IMG]

SCORE: 8.389

2015 PLACEMENT: NON-MOVER - 52 of 210 (8.034)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 44 (@Vasilios @cheida @eatyourself @HEARTCORE @Dangerous Maknae @Sprockrooster @Remyky22 @soratami @GimmeWork @Babyface @Andrew.L @dylanaber @Jonathan27 @Ana Raquel @Up Down Suite @torontodj @theelusivechanteuse @dancingwithmyself @Dreampopboy @NightmareBoy @BreatheBox @Modeblock @scottdisick94 @letuinmybackdoor @Robsolete @unnameable @citoig @joeee @Michael17 @BTG @Lila @Pop Life @Filippa @Rogue @TheChoirgirlHotel @Remorque @Digital Ghost @MrMannacroix @ufint @Mikl C @Mr Blonde @happiestgirl @Music Is Life @Push)
    LOWEST SCORE: 4 x 1 (@maverick_79)
    MY SCORE: 7/10

Doomed to forever sit outside the Top 50, it seems. "Like A Virgin" leaves at the exact same spot as it did back in 2015, albeit with a slight uptick in its average, which means that "Dress You Up" is crowned as the best track from the Like A Virgin album. This is literally the only correct choice, so well done to everyone who has taste.

Well. How do you even sum up a song as big as this? Largely credited as the song that truly cemented Madonna's place in the pop pantheon after a couple of cute hits off the debut in the US, this was the song that made her truly nuclear in terms of popularity. Sure, it might sound a little passé now, but let's just remember how... uptight all the lads and ladies were back in the early 80s. So imagine Madonna arriving in the world, midriff bare, maybe a wee bit of ankle flashing over a white sock and a creeper, singing about being defiled in the highest voice imaginable as she floats about trying to sell her pussy in Venice. The gee pee were flummoxed.mp3 to say the least. So, while I'm really not a particular fan of... anything it does, I will sit my ass down and pay homage to the song that is the alpha and omega to every little bit of naughtiness, savviness, and pop acumen that Madonna would go on to display for the next forty goddamn years.

The irony of it all is that Madonna doesn't even have a writing credit on this one, similar to "Material Girl", which also came from the writing duo Billy Steinberg and Tom Kelly, who originally had a ballad treatment in mind for it, not knowing that Madonna would go on to prove that that was not a good idea on the MDNA Tour nearly thirty years later. Billy Steinberg had originally written it after getting out of a tough relationship and getting into a new, easy relationship, and the rebirth of himself that that connection caused. However, it was... a bit of a tricky song to find someone for. Enter Madonna, who, upon hearing the demo, could smell the potential for a stunt a mile off and came running. In her hands, it went from being a raw, exposed ballad, to a bop about being rawed. She would go on to use it as a launchpad for everything that made her like a supernova for the next decade in pop; blindingly bright, larger than life, white-hot, and all-consuming. An icon was born. Nile Rodgers even labelled it "queer", to which I say: rosemcgowanso? dot gif!!!!

So yes. This and "Material Girl" are probably two of Madonna's most iconic tracks that I never intentionally seek out, but I'll forever be grateful for what they provided, along with understanding and respecting their power too, and once again I'm in awe at queen's ability to spot the potential in two songs that must have sounded so much different before she got her wee hands on them. But... we're not here to award success. We're here to award greatness. And in terms of what's left... I think "Like A Virgin" bows out at the right time.

"Like A Virgin" is probably Madonna's most recurrent, most performed song on tour, maybe tying with "La Isla Bonita" although I can't be bothered doing the legwork to find out. We have *deep breath* The Virgin Tour, Who's That Girl, Blond Ambition (fap fap fap), The Girlie Show (wurrrgin), Confessions, Sticky & Sweet, MDNA (boot!), and finally, Rebel Heart. Almost every time it caused the press to lose their shit because Madonna normally paired it with some racy treatment. I've also included the iconic performance from the first ever VMAs in 1984, where Madonna flashed her underwear (although by 2020 standards, she basically had a full red carpet outfit on under there) by accident and caused - you guessed it - a shitstorm. And of course I've chucked in the 2003 VMAs for the culture. Ugh, she's just too good. I've done my best to link to everything down below. Enjoy!

The Girlie Show
    2003 VMAs
    The Confessions Tour
    Sticky & Sweet Tour
    MDNA Tour
    Rebel Heart Tour

12. LTG

LTG

Iconic song, not the best song.

The Confessions and Rebel Heart mixes are fantastic.

Music Is Death, evilsin, acl and 9 others like this.
  13. About time!

eatyourself and Vasilios like this.
  14. I like Like A Virgin but it it leaves at the right time.
    Most tour versions of it are really great, especially on the Rebel Heart tour.
    The MDNA version is shortened by a verse on the CD/DVD release (I think) and it still feels like it's 10 minutes long.

Chezam likes this.
  15. About time!

Crisp X and eatyourself like this.
  16. I feel like y'all didn't give Like A Virgin the credit it deserves. A historically and culturally significant capital B-O-P.

Ashling92, Maki, rav4boy and 9 others like this.
  17. I definitely gave ha full marks moreso because of the Confessions Tour mix (sue me!) which I seek out more often than the OG, but Like A Virgin is forever an audacious, world-class BOP.

unnameable likes this.
  18. Madonna would probably love this result, teebs.

19. The way she birthed these girls and one-upped her own iconography. Queen!!!!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.