Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE | Page 430 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. cosmic systems intertwine, astral bodies drip like W̸̨̦͉̣͎͙͍̗̤͉̱͎̟͈͚̤̞̹̰̫̗͓͈͆̓̏̐͋̋ͅI̷̡̨̨̪̺̱̤̞͍̙̰̲̰̺̪̲͎̥̫̠̤̮̳̪͙̮̫͓͚̱͚̲̭̺̗̦͉͓̖̍̃̑͋̅͐̒̅͜͜ͅN̵̡̡̨̛̛̛̛͎̤͎͙̰̟̺̝̬͎̼̹̲̞͕͍̪͚̉͛̾̈͊̏̾̏̈̈̈́͗̀̋͌͂̀̅̂͒̈́̔̓͑͛̍̒̇͆̆͑́̔̕͘̚͜͝͠͝͝ͅE̷̢̢̡̛̛̛̮̼͖̫̦̘̙̤̭̜̱̺̫̝̲̯̬̻̙͔̙̭͎͉̣͇͇̼͚̳͍̞̭̬͓͖͎̮̹̠̩̱̪̗̪͈̘̗̙̟̭̣̬͚̠̪̹̣̔̃̎̃͑̀͊̿̏̈̓͂̔̅͊̆̀́́̿́̐͊́̾̄̏̈̿͌̃̽̈͂̓͐̉́͛̀̈́̅̐̕̕͘͘̚̚̕͜͝͝

Music Is Death, evilsin, acl and 28 others like this.
  2. Jump is a far more basic and cheap-sounding song than Impressive Instant and should have gone a while ago...

I LOVE the first half of Confessions and think it deserves all the praise it gets (Hung Up is in my top 5 and a serious contender for my 11 points)... but the second half really tails off in quality to these ears

Kyliéyoncé and Chezam like this.
  3. RJF

RJF

[​IMG]

SCORE: 8.439

2015 PLACEMENT: UP 4 - 54 of 210 (8.025)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 43 (@AshtrayHeart @Vasilios @P'NutButter @eatyourself @nanafan @rdp @Doenjang @Angeleyes @DJHazey @Remyky22 @Babyface @Andrew.L @Phonetics Boy @dylanaber @elear @Andy French @fatyoshi @godspeed @torontodj @1991 @Aester @Dreampopboy @NightmareBoy @Skyline @scottdisick94 @Robsolete @RetroPhysical @Zdarlight @joeee @DinahLee @paperboyfriendd @Crisp X @Sleepycat @Filippa @evilsin @Remorque @Digital Ghost @nametag @Music Is Life @fancygreen @Weslicious @tommylander @Touchofmyhand)
    LOWEST SCORE: 5 x 2 (@Modeblock @unnameable)
    MY SCORE: 9/10

SHOW ME A MORE ICONIC SINGLE COVER OH YEAH YOU CAN'T.

I'm glad "Bad Girl" was able to sneak into the Top 50 this time around! It's a fairly unsung hero in this section of Madonna's discography that should be lauded far more than it actually is. The popular take is always that it's about someone struggling to crawl out from the wreckage of a bad relationship, but... is it maybe too much to also read it as someone struggling with themselves, rather than an outside party? "Bad Girl" has always sounded inherently nihilistic to me; a cautionary tale about someone who is drowning in their sadness and their hedonism is simply a way of numbing their pain. Even in the sections of the lyrics where Madonna appears to be addressing someone else, I think there's room for a more self-reflective reading. These are the words of someone who knows they're self-destructing, and is sorry about it, but is powerless to do anything about it.

Of course, when you start going to down that path, you realise that it's a song that touches on so many other topics that Madonna typically doesn't approach: addiction, depression, loneliness. And here's where we realise the genius of Erotica once more, an album that was always more about the absolute pit that the human psyche can be rather than just about putting on a gimp mask and getting slapped a wee bit. "Bad Girl" is a decidedly... hollow song, sonically. It's an unforgiving, unsympathetic backdrop to one of Madonna's most heartfelt vocals on the record. That bridge into the chorus is the most sorrowful, most contrite she's ever sounded, and it's a feeling that permeates the whole song; something bruised and soft against a fairly stoic, rigid backdrop. That's not to say that Shep Pettibone's production is cold, but... it doesn't really lean into the mood of the song, and the whole package is all the better for it. You end up getting something that is... deceptively cool sounding, but actually fairly emotional on further inspection. One of Madonna's finest Trojan horses. You just don't get artists releasing singles like this anymore, let alone to the success that this netted, however moderate it was in relative terms to Madonna's career at the time.

We must, of course, speak on the video, which is one of Madonna's finest. That is not something I say lightly, as everyone will know. How did she get the budget out of Warner for this, a fifth single from a flop album? Either way, the iconic David Fincher ("Express Yourself", "Oh Father", and fucking "Vogue") returns to the helm and... basically gives us a six minute big budget movie? I can't. Madonna plays a sexy, inherently sad Manhattan executive who sexily smokes, drinks, executives, and fucks her way through every slam piece in New York, sexily. All the while, a spectral Christopher Walken watches her sleepwalk through her empty life, occasional flashes of lucidity too painful to deal with before being dulled with drink and sex again. Honestly, it's goals up until she's murdered in the end, and never has anyone looked cooler with a cigarette in their mouth than Madonna in this video. Special shout out to the shot where the street fades into the bartender wiping the counter as well, which is just... oof.

Watching the video through a 2020 lens is... interesting. Is it slut-shaming? There's certainly a slightly pointed implication that Madonna's character wouldn't be dead if she wasn't such a thot, but I'm not entirely sure if that's the take away that is intended. I think we're meant to think that letting these issues fester and consume you will only doom you. After all, we see Madonna have multiple trysts that end just fine; it's more that her underlying issues gain momentum and eventually snowball into a lapse in judgement... but maybe we arrive back at the slut-shaming thing? I don't know. I've also seen Christopher Walken's character be described as a guardian angel, but he's very clearly meant to be Death considering he does fuck all guarding.

The song was also performed on Madonna's singular (!!!!!!) SNL musical guest spot. Both video and performance are below. Enjoy!

4. I really thought this was going to go higher. And this would have been a moment on a theatre tour.

Music Is Death, evilsin, Lila and 7 others like this.
  5. It's done well to get top 50. But still under-fucking-rated.

6. Good showing for an underrated moment. I think it getting such a stellar single package (cover, video, SOLE performance being so brilliant) helps make it feel like a prestige moment. She sound incredible on SNL but she may have struggled to recreate that vocal night after night.

Music Is Death, evilsin, acl and 13 others like this.
  7. Bad Girl is SO fucking great. I’m glad it’s in the top 50.

Music Is Death, evilsin, Lila and 9 others like this.
  8. Bad Girl took so long for me to love, but all of Erotica really is magnificent.

I am a huge Modernna fan so it bothers me that I am not willing her last song from the post-Confessions era to make it any further. I love God Control but just can't see it as better than anything left.

Lila likes this.
  9. Bad Girl is one of my favorite songs out of her entire discography. I wish it would've done slightly better but #50 is nothing to be scoffed at.

10. Oh, my heart just sunk. I know this is a good placement considering it's not one of her bigger hits, but it's honestly in my Madonna top ten. I think you're spot on, @RJF. I've always thought of it as a song about depression and how impossible it can feel to dig yourself out so you keep self-destructing.

And the video is gorgeous! You can't go wrong with Madonna and David Fincher and a cat.

Music Is Death, DJHazey, Lila and 8 others like this.
  11. Why did I read this to the tune of “it’s comin’ down on me, water like misery”?

12. The shot of M and Christopher Walker perched up high watching life flow busily on below is so so so good. Bad Girl and Deeper and Deeper videos really took the Erotica era to some sublime places, visually. Spooky, beautiful and sad.

13. David Fincher really is a genius. Legend has it he filmed the Tokyo shows on Blond Ambition.

upload_2020-9-4_17-15-41.gif

14. I never thought of the 'Bad girl' video as slut shaming. It is something pretty much every gay man has done at some point, putting themselves at risk just for a quick fuck and thankfully we've lived to tell the tale. And who hasn't stormed into the office on a Monday morning still sore from the weekend and wanted to slam the door in everyone's face?

Phonetics Girl likes this.
  15. RJF

RJF

Right girls, you know the drill. Next page STAT.

Music Is Death, evilsin, Maki and 2 others like this.
  16. Preparing to say my goodbyes to Impressive Instant so here’s this phenomenon.

Womanizer, Maki and rdp like this.
  17. I don’t know why but I always assumed the Bad Girl video was just from one of her shit films, rather than specifically shot for the single ddd

Another 9.5 that has fallen for me. A 10 on a good day. (Also Cherish should’ve been a 10 from me as well!)

joeee likes this.
  18. The single cover does look very Body of Evidence.

I love it.

Aester likes this.
  19. LTG

LTG

Who likes to singy singy singy?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.