Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE | Page 431 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. RJF

RJF

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 8.452

2015 PLACEMENT: UP 11 - 60 of 210 (7.922)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 30 (@AshtrayHeart @cheida @dodoriazarbon @P'NutButter @eatyourself @Doenjang @sfmartin @Cutlery @Suburbia @soratami @GimmeWork @dylanaber @Ana Raquel @Andy French @Up Down Suite @godspeed @Dreampopboy @Modeblock @scottdisick94 @MilesAngel @Zdarlight @joeee @SloMover @paperboyfriendd @Michael17 @Lila @clowezra @acl @FrozenNight @Touchofmyhand)
    LOWEST SCORE: 4 x 1 (@Daniel_O)
    MY SCORE: 8.5/10

Well, this basically just 2005 Space Odyssey: The Faggening, isn't it folks? One of the first tracks to emerge from the Confessions sessions (how fun to say) along with the first two singles, "Future Lovers" is basically a big gay stupid intergalactic dance fantasy where everyone transcends the trappings of reality and terrestrial life and becomes nothing but a state of blissful consciousness zooming through the cosmos. Basically:

[​IMG]

Curiously, it's the only track on the album to list Mirwais Ahmadzaï as sole producer but I would imagine Stuart Price had a hand in it at some point when he brought the album together in the closing stages. Perhaps it started out life as one of the songs she wrote for one of those musicals she was working on at time (what was the PLOT to these fucking things GOD) but either way, it eventually found its way onto Confessions as part of the relentless opening section, both album and tour. My appreciation of it has actually grown a lot since 2015! "In the EVEEDENCE OF IT'S BRILLEE-ENCE!!!" getting shriller and shriller with each pass is kind of an ear ache, but I guess I acclimatised. Stockholm Syndrome or changing tastes? We just don't know. But yes, while I don't think it should be the last Confessions album track standing, I understand why it is.

And of course, the main reason for why it's here (presumably, but let's be honest now) is its role in the Confessions Tour where it opened the show in a ridiculously grand fashion. Madonna emerges from a disco ball in her best jockey drag, and invites us into the best tour of her career. The production really pops live, and the song's straight up shameless inspiration point in Donna Summer's "I Feel Love" crosses into a legitimate interpolation. The entire thing ends up feeling more complete than the studio version. And did I mention GAY? Either way, enjoy!

2. RJF

RJF

REMAINING SONGS

Borderline
    Burning Up
    Holiday

Dress You Up

Papa Don't Preach
    Open Your Heart
    Live To Tell
    La Isla Bonita

Like A Prayer
    Express Yourself
    Till Death Do Us Part
    Oh Father

Vogue

Erotica
    Deeper And Deeper
    Rain

Secret
    Human Nature
    Bedtime Story
    Take A Bow

Drowned World/Substitute For Love
    Ray Of Light
    Skin
    Nothing Really Matters
    Sky Fits Heaven
    Frozen
    The Power Of Goodbye

Music
    Impressive Instant
    Don't Tell Me
    What It Feels Like For A Girl

American Life
    Hollywood
    Nothing Fails
    Intervention
    X-Static Process
    Die Another Day
    Easy Ride

Hung Up
    Get Together
    Sorry
    Jump

God Control

Into The Groove
    Crazy For You
    Justify My Love
    Rescue Me
    Beautiful Stranger​

Music Is Death, evilsin, acl and 25 others like this.
  3. Future Lovers is her gayest song / performance.

4. Absolutely.

5. I gave both Bad Girl and Future Lovers 9s.

Every Erotica cut hurts, and Bad Girl is no exception. Beautifully poignant, some days I like it better than Rain. One thing I love about Erotica is how she floods every cold, thorny Shep or Andre production with so much warmth from her delivery and lyricism. I really can't state enough how brilliant an album Erotica is. The concept and delivery are just... Unparalleled and misunderstood. Less an exploration of eroticism (although that does happen), more using the intimacy and vulnerability of sex to pry one's psyche open for exploration.

Future Lovers is a brilliant homage to the genesis of electronic disco/dance music. I Feel Love is legendary.

6. Future Lovers - 10. This is in my Top 3 of 'Confessions.' I've adored it ever since I first heard the album, even before the tour performance only cemented it's brilliance. Those glorious synths pay homage to 'I Feel Love' whilst not sounding like an imitation. The instinctive, insightful lyrics are Madonna sharing her knowledge and teaching us about love in all its forms, and I am willing to learn.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
    Zdarlight likes this.
  7. You better stan Human Instrumentality and the Third Impact, bitch!
    [​IMG]

8. Madonna has said the "Bad Girl" video is based on Looking for Mr. Goodbar, in which Diane Keaton has a bunch of one-night stands before (spoiler alert) getting stabbed to death. A lot of people think the movie is misogynistic because of the ending but you see this woman living a life of her choosing, without getting married or being a mother, for the bulk of the runtime (revolutionary in the 1970s, when the movie was released, and still uncommon when the "Bad Girl" video came out in 1993, when Madonna was a single, child-free woman having tons of sex herself), so I don't think it's that simple.

I can't imagine Madonna wanting to slut-shame anyone at any time, but especially during Erotica, so I don't think she thinks it's that simple either. Choosing to have sex with strangers always has risks (more than ever in the time of AIDS), and to me it feels like she's exploring that rather than judging it.

Yes, exactly this!

9. I’m proud that “Bad Girl” made it further this time. I honestly think when all dust settles that it would prove to be my favorite song of hers. An absolute “if you get it you get it, if you don’t you don’t “ moment, I admit, but I’m glad to seen others here pouring love after it was stupidly ravaged on elimination lists a few pages prior.

In a just world, Erotica would be celebrated univerally as one of her finest achievements, and “Bad Girl” would be one of Madonna’s signature songs. One of her most cutting compositions altogether, and, like @RJF, is stunningly presented from all angles.

(edit: Also, music legends Omar Hakim and Victor Bailey aside, does anyone know the names of the backing singers in the SNL performance? I've wondered for years. They have the "backing singer dance" down pat.)

10. While the Erotica era started off with a mixed reception, there was still massive amounts of hype around her because she was the biggest pop star on the planet. Then, ok, Deeper & Deeper became her first single to miss the top five for eons in the UK and wasn’t quite the worldwide smash that her follow up singles usually are.

But it was only when this became the third single and barely scraped UK top 10 / US top 40 that it really felt like Madonna was not the Teflon-coated success machine she had seemed up to that point. So I see it as an important turning point in her career. Of course what many people didn’t see at the time, me included, was that she wasn’t aiming for a #1 mainstream chart hit with every single. This was for her legacy as an artist, not a chart peak. I guess maybe some people already realised that when Oh Father was released in the US but it took me a bit longer to grasp. It’s an important entry in her videography. It’s not a song or video I would play on repeat or a must listen but I do appreciate it when I hear/see it.

Drowned World completes my trilogy of underperforming singles with amazing videos by the way.

Of course the UK record label saw a #10 peak as a commercial failure only Madonna could have a top ten hit and be seen as a failure and panic-released the album version of Fever without a fucking video as a single... what... only three or four weeks later?

11. rdp

rdp

Bad Girl is one of my favorites of her whole discography, for the same reasons that have already been so well expressed in this thread, but I can't be mad at its elimination since a song with 43 10's would probably win any other rate.

Music Is Death, Lila, Crisp X and 5 others like this.
  12. Bad Girl is one song I have grown to appreciate in the last few years.

It was a risky move to release it in 1993 when opinion of her (at the time) was at an all time low. The song itself was bit of a downer and fairly self reflective and introspective for pop radio. One would think they would have simply skipped to the more radio-friendly Rain or Fever. But Bad Girl represents what I love the most about ‘90s Madonna - that she didn’t always take the easy route and some of her singles were were not the obvious ones.

As for the video, definitely one of her best and an absolute travesty it was not featured on the Celebration DVD. I get @RJF’s discussion of slut-shaming. The video was partly inspired by the book and film Looking for Mr. Goodbar (which was based loosely on a true story). The film, starring Diane Keaton (who is brilliant and light years away from Annie Hall), is about a schoolteacher who picks up men in singles bars and discos. She meets the same fate as Madonna’s character in a sequence which I consider to be the most unsettling film sequence of all time. There is still a lot of criticism by those who feel the movie seems to be saying that sexually liberated women are destined to be punished and that the film is a moral indictment.

Definitely a film worth checking out, even just to compare to Bad Girl.

13. torontodj likes this.
  14. Haha! Brilliant!

And a fantastic deconstruction of the song, @RJF . Hate that this album was largely written off as perverted at the time- it's barely about sex at all.

Chezam, Andy French and Aester like this.
  15. The Bad Girl video.

That Future Lovers performance.

Like ... Can you believe the level of absolute brilliance we are dealing with right now? My bottom hurts I get goosebumps just thinking about it.

Poor anyone who doesn't stan Madonna.

16. Apologies - I didn’t see @Aester post a few posts above mine regarding Goodbar before I posted about it.

The film is VERY hard to find. Never issued on DVD or Blu-ray except as bootlegs. Many believe it’s due to music rights (the soundtrack is fucking amazing). Others think some cast members don’t want it issued due to the film’s grim nature. Sometimes it gets uploaded on YouTube but usually it’s taken down. It’s odd because it was a very famous book and film adaptation in the ‘70s and ‘80s and now the film has become almost like a lost artifact.

Bruce LaBruce wrote a fantastic essay about the film. Cannot recall if he mentions Bad Girl.

I wonder if Madonna’s look in the video was inspired by Tuesday Weld who played Theresa’s sister.

Aester likes this.
  17. I'm bleeding 10's. It's painful.

'Future Lovers' is my favourite track on Confessions.

MilesAngel likes this.
  18. It actually is on Youtube right now (80000+ views).

torontodj likes this.
  19. I couldn’t find it!

20. I struggled with the slut-shaming aspect of the BAD GIRL video as well, but there's also the moment at appr. 5:28 - where it seems she knows exactly what she herself got into (after the Christopher Walken-kiss) and feels almost liberated to have found "the one" to release her ... am i way off here?

torontodj likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.