Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE | Page 433 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. As someone who is regularly drunk by 6, kisses strangers lips and smokes too many cigarettes a day, Bad Girl is that bop. It's always unfairly overlooked in her back catalogue, so I'm pleased it hung around as long as it did.

2. I've just communicated with @RJF's spirit via door slams and my 11 for Justify My Love will be counted!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
  3. "Bad Girl" did well enough. The sonical aspect and delivery reminds me of "In This Life", but here it's upgraded a bit. I can very much appreciate the lyrics and the sentiment, though the song still misses something for me.
    Not one of my favourites, but not one of my least favourites (out of the remaining songs), either.

This is random, but I always forget whether "Bad Girl" or "Thief of Hearts" was a single from "Erotica" - probably since the former is rather understated when it comes to her singles impact and is rarely mentioned among her most accomplished ones.
    Now that stunning single cover will make my doubts vanish.

Crisp X and Pop Life like this.
  4. An incredible shot from late 1990 photo shoot for Vogue Italia that was almost the sleeve design for "Deeper And Deeper"...until Madonna dictated "NO. Bad Girl."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The full, uncensored shot was also a popular officially licensed poster in the early 1990s:
    [​IMG]

5. M was 100% correct, but I do love that WB basically said "no u" right back and stuck remixes of Deeper and Deeper (and Fever) onto basically all versions of the Bad Girl single release anyway. The undercurrent of pettiness that runs throughout her entire relationship with Warner on both sides of the desk is hilarious

6. Outsold

7. And goodbye to "Future Lovers" and its freaking annoying hook!

8. Speaking of annoying repetitiveness...

9. Unfortunately that decision led to Deeper & Deeper having the worst cover of any of her singles up to that point. The 12” picture disc has a much better picture but it’s from the same sessions as the Holiday reissue from 91 and that kinda thing irks me.

Aester likes this.
  10. I‘ve lost two 10s with Bad Girl and Future Lovers. I‘m not happy this way.

Doenjang, MilesAngel and rav4boy like this.
  11. You might find it annoying, but the Future Lovers hook is embedded in your brain FOREVER! Bwahahaha!

Chezam and Push like this.
  12. When I first started gay clubbing at 17, I went back to this much older guy's house who I genuinely don't think was trying to take advantage of me and was just horrified that my friends had left me alone and so wasted sat on the doorstep of the club at closing time with no money to get home. I woke up on his bedroom floor with a giant Bad Girl poster on the ceiling staring back at me. He had the poster. On his ceiling. Above his bed. I think about him a lot.

13. RJF

RJF

[​IMG]

SCORE: 8.461

2015 PLACEMENT: DOWN 8 - 40 of 210 (8.317)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 51 (@Andreas @cheida @eatyourself @HEARTCORE @nanafan @discoteca @Euphoria @maverick_79 @rav4boy @Angeleyes @JMRGBY @Remyky22 @soratami @GimmeWork @Andrew.L @Mjg0806 @fatyoshi @torontodj @theelusivechanteuse @1991 @Sail On @dancingwithmyself @Aester @Fuchsia @BreatheBox @Modeblock @Daniel_O @Coochi @Hurricane Drunk @scottdisick94 @Drew @Robsolete @MilesAngel @unnameable @citoig @joeee @Jimmyandroid @phoenix123 @Lila @Pop Life @clowezra @Filippa @wintersleep @TheChoirgirlHotel @Remorque @ufint @Mikl C @Holly Something @Markus1981 @Music Is Life @tommylander)
    LOWEST SCORE: 2 x 1 (@Cutlery)
    MY SCORE: 6/10

And "Take A Bow" exits stage left, probably a little later than I would have preferred, but otherwise, I'm simply glad that it hasn't managed to sneak in and sully another Top 40. Sorry, y'all. This is not one of my favourites at all. Bedtime Stories has always done a pretty great job of insulating Madonna in the trends of the time to safeguard her after a pretty brutal campaign for the last album, while also letting her put her own stamp on it. This gets truer and truer the deeper you get into the tracklist, culminating in the title track... before all of a sudden you're hit with this treacly, slightly anonymous, plush RnB ballad that doesn't really feel like a Madonna record at all. Sorry about it.

The origin story low-key confirms all of the above anyway. When reaching towards putting a new album together, Madonna... basically reached out to all the producers who had been making No.1 songs in the last year or so. However, it wasn't as shallow as that; her aim was to always clash her own style with theirs, and create a record that was hers and cohesive to boot. So how this song made it onto the end is beyond me, but still. She met with Babyface, found a surprising amount of camaraderie, and thus, "Take A Bow" was actually one of the first songs to be born for Bedtime Stories. Maybe that explains why it sounds a little less like the rest of the record; it took a wee while to find her footing in the direction she wanted to pursue. I mean, it certainly sounds good. I just don't seek it out at all when looking for a Madonna slowie to listen to. It even got a live orchestra treatment for its production, and I'm normally a sucker for those, but... nah.

Nevertheless, queen got her wish. Hilariously, after complaining on the set of the "Take A Bow" video that she wanted to be No.1 again, the song ended up being one of her biggest hits ever in the US, sitting at the top spot for seven weeks (the UK showed a shocking amount of taste and had this peak barely inside the Top 40 kii) and returning her to her rightful position after Erotica had become her first album since her debut to not net her a No.1 single. I think this is where "Take A Bow" always gets pulled apart somewhat; the disparity between its success worldwide and domestically, where the difference was far wider than most of her singles have been. Maybe I would like it more if I had heard it more back in the day, but I do remember when I first got into Madonna, Bedtime Stories was the one album I had no idea even existed. It just hit differently over here, I guess. Anyway, I'll always celebrate queen getting a No.1 under any means, so... yas, I guess.

The song has had a pretty short live performance history despite being one of Madonna's biggest hits, mostly down to the fact that its parent album never got a tour. She performed it at the 1995 AMAs, before leaping over to Europe and performing it on Wetten Das in Germany, and the Sanremo Music Awards in Italy. After that, it took a long, long sleep, before being revived (occasionally or once?) during the acoustic section of the Rebel Heart Tour, and after that, it popped up on Tears Of A Clown as well. It also got an incredibly opulent video, where Madonna plays the abused lover to a matador and... still makes the whole thing look quite glam tbh, which I think was one of the controversies at the time. But then, it's Madonna. When isn't there controversy? All of the above is below, including the Kurt Loder interview where she's complaining about all the people blocking her from No.1 with songs that her most recent collaborators did with them... before getting back to No.1 herself. Enjoy!

Rebel Heart Tour
    Tears Of A Clown

14. The bridge on Take a Bow is one of Madonna career highlights for me, for one millisecond you can hear the shivering in her voice and it almost tricks you into thinking she might break down. What a beautiful ballad, one of her very best. Weirdly enough, I can only listen to it in winter (just like the majority of Bedtime Stories), might be because of those christmasy bells.

GimmeWork, Chezam, Womanizer and 2 others like this.
  15. Finally. Her most overrated ballad, hands down. The video is gorgeous though, I'll give it that.

I think that's my last sub-7 score to fall. Everything left is at least good.

Crisp X and Cutlery like this.
  16. Why Bedtime Stories has been done dirty and Music has had a resurgence is a mystery to me.

R27 likes this.
  17. RJF

RJF

Who’s gonna tell her?

18. Just realised!

19. All the songs leaving now are great so it’s hard to say such and such left too early when everything from here on out is excellent but.... Take A Bow was too early for me. It’d make my top 20 to be honest.

Lucky Star is cute and appreciated in the scheme of her career but it should not have outlasted several Rebel Heart and Hard Candy songs.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.