Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE | Page 438 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. RJF

RJF

Nope.

2. I can’t believe she included I’m Going Bananas on The Girlie Show but not Rescue Me, her highest debut on the charts...

DinahLee likes this.
  3. RJF

RJF

[​IMG]

SCORE: 8.5

2015 PLACEMENT: DOWN 9 - 36 of 210 (8.378)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 52 (@funkyg @cheida @P'NutButter @discoteca @tom71 @rdp @tylerc904 @Doenjang @rav4boy @AllGagaLike @matthew. @GimmeWork @Andrew.L @dylanaber @Mjg0806 @relby @Jonathan27 @paullypaul @torontodj @1991 @Joe. @Babylon @Dreampopboy @Fuchsia @BreatheBox @Modeblock @Coochi @Hurricane Drunk @scottdisick94 @Drew @Robsolete @Fortune @Sideout @unnameable @citoig @joeee @DinahLee @Jimmyandroid @JonBcn @BTG @Epic Chocolat @phoenix123 @Lila @Pop Life @clowezra @Filippa @wintersleep @TheChoirgirlHotel @Remorque @Digital Ghost @Holly Something @Music Is Life)
    LOWEST SCORE: 4 x 1 (@OSHi)
    MY SCORE: 7.5/10

Is this the last 80s prom song to vacate? I think it might be. "Crazy For You" is our second loss from the Extras tonight, and the final call for the *checks notes* Vision Quest soundtrack, which we all of course take deeply into our hearts after winning-- oh fuck it, never mind.

I like this. In fact, I like it a lot. Great lyrics, a great, impassioned performance from Madonna, who seemed to shut a lot of critics up with how well she sang on this track (along with grabbing her first Grammy nomination in the process) and it's generally a damn sight better than some of the singles she was releasing from Like A Virgin around the time on its first sweep as a single in 1985, but I definitely think this is the right time for it to go, as it barely stands out against everything else left at the moment. I feel like this was maybe buoyed a little more by the voters who actually have the memory of when it was released and a successful single (one of her US No.1s, no less!) but... yeah, I harbour no such nostalgia for it. A cute, nicely performed ballad for a movie. That's about it. Probably could have finished outside the Top 100 and I wouldn't have cared, but I also don't mind it reaching this far either, so.

The irony of it being eliminated with "Rescue Me" is that they are, in certain territories, sister singles from the same parent album. From what I can gather, the UK label decided to treat "Crazy For You" as a single around the time of The Immaculate Collection, as for some reason they thought a No.2 peak in 1985 hadn't been enough success. I guess they were right, since it went on to peak at No.2 again (MESS) and went on to actually become one of her best selling singles over here. Such was the power of Madonna that people would literally buy the same single again with six years between releases. I CAN'T. As of 2017, it's her third best selling single in the UK. They even renamed Vision Quest to Crazy For You because of Madonna's popularity! It even has an official single cover with "Justify My Love" imagery:

[​IMG]

Speaking of Crazy For Vision Quest, the song's official video is based off Madonna's cameo performance in the film, where she plays a singer in a bar. The video puts clips of that together with the bits of the film that aren't homoerotic workout montages, so... the remaining forty seconds, by the looks of things. Queer! After that, it was performed on The Virgin Tour with a fairly faithful treatment, and on Re-Invention, where it got some horrific bagpipe-inspired remix that is fucking atrocious, with Madonna performing it in a key that makes it sound like a stalker anthem rather than a love song. Take it from a Scot: bagpipes are awful. Enjoy!

4. RJF

RJF

REMAINING SONGS

Borderline
    Burning Up
    Holiday

Dress You Up

Papa Don't Preach
    Open Your Heart
    Live To Tell
    La Isla Bonita

Like A Prayer
    Express Yourself
    Till Death Do Us Part
    Oh Father

Vogue

Erotica
    Deeper And Deeper
    Rain

Secret
    Human Nature
    Bedtime Story

Drowned World/Substitute For Love
    Ray Of Light
    Skin
    Nothing Really Matters
    Sky Fits Heaven
    Frozen
    The Power Of Goodbye

Music
    Don't Tell Me
    What It Feels Like For A Girl

American Life
    Hollywood
    Nothing Fails
    Intervention
    X-Static Process
    Die Another Day
    Easy Ride

Hung Up
    Get Together
    Sorry
    Jump

God Control

Into The Groove
    Justify My Love
    Beautiful Stranger​

5. Wow. Tonight’s eliminations really hurt.

6. Crazy For You not being in a Madonna top 40.

[​IMG]

7. Finally.

Maki and Suburbia like this.
  8. For info, Crazy For You was apparently reissued in the UK after focus groups / polling indicated it was her most popular track from The Immaculate Collection.

Andrew.L and Pop Life like this.
  9. [​IMG]

10. rdp

rdp

Yeah it's pretty much a standard 80's ballad in form but she sells it so well. You can just feel the emotion in her voice. I especially love the slight change of the melody in the repetition of the second chorus. "You'll feel it it in my kiss... you'll feel it in my kiss because I'm craaaazy for you!!!! Touch me once and you'll know it's true!!!!"

[​IMG]

Also "Can't you feel the weight of my stare?" is such a great lyric.

Music Is Death, evilsin, acl and 15 others like this.
  11. I’m rooting for Jump to vacate next, it’s good but compared to everything else left it’s out of its depth. It definitely benefits from being on the album it belongs to.

12. I could make peace with "X-Static Process", "Sky Fits Heaven", "God Control" and "Nothing Fails" clearing the way for the Top 40.

13. Borderline and Holiday have outstayed their welcome.

14. 'Sky Fits Heaven' should be Top 30 but I can agree with the other three.

Pop Life likes this.
  15. Sorry, Jump and Hollywood have long overstayed their welcome now. I could lose most of the American Life tracks as well.

16. Die Another Day a better song than Take A Bow and Crazy For You?

[​IMG]

Andrew.L likes this.
  17. "Crazy for You" is my even more anticipated elimination than "Rescue Me". Long overdue and should've switched places with (greatly superior) "Gambler", which somehow got eliminated about 100 eliminations ago.
    The fact that "Crazy for You" amassed more than 50 perfect scores is leaving me perplexed. Like... how? Why?

soratami likes this.
  18. Because it’s a stunning song.

19. You can stay pressed that the greatest climber of the rate got the top 50 placement it deserved.

20. The fucking cheek

[​IMG]

Music Is Death, evilsin, acl and 30 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.