Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE | Page 441 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. I honestly can’t predict what could be next at this point, the past few eliminations have been a real shock, especially Rescue Me.

tommylander likes this.
  2. There is a Jacques Lu Cont edit of Hollywood, if I'm not mistaken, but I enjoy the full thing so so much. It slaps even on that shitty GAP promo.

3. I'm scared.
    [​IMG]

phoenix123 and Maki like this.
  4. RJF

RJF

A tie at No.43 is served.

[​IMG]

SCORE: 8.518

2015 PLACEMENT: NON-MOVER - 43 of 210 (8.191)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 33 (@Tigerlily @Butterfly @dodoriazarbon @eatyourself @Suburbia @soratami @GimmeWork @Mirwais Ahmadzaï @elear @Andy French @Up Down Suite @torontodj @Dreampopboy @FridayNight @scottdisick94 @RetroPhysical @Zdarlight @citoig @joeee @BEST FICTION @Miss Lange @Crisp X @Sleepycat @phoenix123 @Pop Life @evilsin @TheChoirgirlHotel @Remorque @sexercise @Mr Blonde @happiestgirl @Music Is Life @Maki)
    LOWEST SCORE: 4 x 2 (@nanafan @Xanax)
    MY SCORE: 6.5/10

Oh, hi! Excuse me, waiter? Yes, hello. I'm really sorry, but I'm afraid these takes on celebrity culture are really lukewarm. I mean I know the menu says the vintage is 2003 but I would expect more even then and I don't think anyone at my table would ever order such a--

*blinks, looks into the camera lens*

Wait. It was... all of you? Y'all were the ones who rose this tame, tepid "takedown" on Hollyw̸̧̢̨͍̱̻͙̲̹̺̾́̓͐̏̽͠è̴̪̜̜̗̟̺̪͈̍͆̂̄͆̈̌͑̀̕͝͝͠i̶̼͋̓̅͛̔́r̷̨͔͔͚̠̤͔͌̾̓̀̃͒̄͊͐́̊̆̄͂̕d̴̛̺̜̲̻̖̟͋́̆́̉͛͂̊͘͠ to the point it was breathing down the neck of the Top 40? ...Why? "Hollywood" has kind of flown (kii) under the radar of my ire because I had bigger fish to fry in "Impressive Instant" and, well, I knew this was swiftly following in a few days, but... I don't get it. It's probably the most boring track on its parent album. Sure, it's also one of the single-ready uptempos, but... what does it do successfully? Quickly. I'm honestly mystified by its presence here. It's just so... pedestrian. Madonna, the most famous woman in the world, amassing a fortune bigger than God's, is gonna drop in to tell us, "Fame is bad! Money is shallow!" Like, really queen? Madonna has had a few times where her privilege has well and truly blinkered her intentions to disastrous effect, and I don't think this song is one of those instances, but I do also think it being born out of her and Mirwais sitting in the studio as two incredibly wealthy, successful musicians, wondering why everyone is so obsessed with money and fame, is just... peak obliviousness. And Madonna lampooning celebrity culture could be a great subject for a song! In fact, she has great songs in her back catalogue where she acknowledges how she benefits and has exploited a world she now finds empty and pitiful, but her execution is so surface level and pointless here. I don't hate it. I just wish it had a better existence. And what a toothless second single after "American Life" too.

Normally, you can even count on a Madonna video to maybe pick up the slack in terms of a song's messaging, but... the video is literally just Madonna doing the splits in different wigs with some shots of her getting botox in between and looking a bit sad about it. What a penetrating critique. Cute reference to the SEX book, I guess. The song didn't even get a proper performance on tour; becoming a glorified interlude after a performance of the similarly point-missed "Material Girl". It was of course the song Madonna was promoting during the 2003 VMAs performance as well, but even there it got mashed up with some mediocre 80s single. It was performed faithfully during the American Life promo tour (and all the performances are BAD what HAPPENED?) but... that's really it. It hasn't appeared since. Good riddance.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
  5. RJF

RJF

Also, Japanese Bonus Drag: does anyone else just frequently forget it even exists? When it comes to Madonna's discography I'm fairly certain I could recite the tracklist to every album front and back with ease, outside of a few exceptions tripping me up. "Hollywood" is probably one of those exceptions. What a forgettable package, all in all. And it was A SINGLE. Imagine the humiliation of being a forgettable Madonna single.

Anyway, a good song leaves next.

6. I always forget Hollywood actually exists. It's just... not good?

Chezam, Push, KingBruno and 3 others like this.
  7. The synergy.

8. On Celebration they didn't even bother to remove the American Life segue from the intro, so I don't think you're the only one.

Andrew.L and MilesAngel like this.
  9. 2014

2014 Staff Member

The looks in the Hollywood video though - she looks phenomenal. But yeah, it's a forgettable song.

10. Nn I didn’t even realise this song was still in. Forgettable is the right word. Bye!

11. I love Hollywood but I guess the high ranking is more due to the overall love and respect for American Life (the album) rather than love specifically for the song? I could be wrong.

We need some Hollywood fans to chime in.

KingBruno likes this.
  12. I deleted Hollywood from American Life because it just destroys the flow of an otherwise immaculate album.

13. Hollywood is amazing? But yes now was the right time for it to go.

evilsin, acl, FridayNight and 2 others like this.
  14. Hollywood is a massive bop but that placement is probably about right (even as one of my few 10s).

I agree the social commentary is very surface-level, which at large is what stops American Life from being the opus it could be.

nooniebao and Sleepycat like this.
  15. Also the video is so, so mediocre.
    It looks more like a fashion editorial than an actual music video by Madonna with all its Guy Bourdin-"references".

Chezam, Bangers&Bops and Verandi like this.
  16. Hollywood really is emblematic of how vapid even the dissenting voices in pop culture during the Bush years were.

17. I honestly needed Hollywood to drop like a brick on the leaderboard compared to last time. Glad it did not even perform better.

Chezam likes this.
  18. I gave Hollywood 9. I like the hi-hat, the moments when the backing track fades out to leave just the acoustic guitar before merging back in, and the whirring synths, which aren't loud or shrill like some other songs.
    My favourite line is 'How could it hurt you when it looks so good?'

Although I do wish someone would write a song excoriating Hollywood in the way that 'Swinging London Town' does to London.

19. Oh here's the tea.
    Especially coming right after American Life with all its antics, and tackling similar themes, I'm afraid Hollywood feels a little redundant.

This bird has flown and PUSH THE BUTTON DON'T PUSH THE BUTTON TRIP THE STATION CHANGE THE CHANNEL are amazing bits nonetheless

20. dddd "references" is a very nice way to put it. There's hardly a single original idea there.

Mr Blonde, FridayNight and Xanax like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.