Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE | Page 449 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. THIS, though. It's as cruel as when Secret Garden went at #101

2. This is legitimately the greatest top 40 ever though. This is why she’s the Queen of Pop.

3. RJF

RJF

With every Top 40 elimination, I will update the Spotify playlist to reflect the order in which songs are leaving. Would y'all like #40 first, or last?

4. The top 40 looks great (for the most part), but I would definitely get rid of these before the top 30:
    Holiday
    Justify My Love
    Rain
    Drowned World/Substitute for Love
    Beautiful Stranger
    Don't Tell Me
    What It Feels Like for a Girl
    X-Static Process

5. There are other songs that resonate with me more but it's hard to argue with the quality of the songs in that top 40.

Only ones that feel slightly weaker to me are: Holiday, What It Feels Like For A Girl, X-Static Process, Sorry and Jump.

Maki likes this.
  6. Last!

7. I'd say first, so it plays like a 'best of Madonna" countdown.

8. First, countdown stylee.

9. this is all in jest... but GOD these last few pages probably took a few years off my life expectancy.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
  10. Some of you really heard Easy Ride and went "nah luv this is bad x". Like that really happened in our real reality.

11. Intervention:
    Easy Ride:

12. [​IMG]

Mr Blonde, RJF and MilesAngel like this.
  13. LTG

LTG

14. RJF

RJF

...did y'all think I was done? I want this thread ON FIRE when I wake up tomorrow morning!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    SCORE: 8.558

11 x 3

@nikkysan
    @Xanax
    @sexercise

2015 PLACEMENT: UP 7 - 47 of 210 (8.152)
    HIGHEST SCORE:
    10 x 49 (@RJF @aux @cheida @Raichu @dodoriazarbon @P'NutButter @eatyourself @Dangerous Maknae @Angeleyes @Remyky22 @AllGagaLike @Suburbia @Mirwais Ahmadzaï @Babyface @Andrew.L @Mjg0806 @elear @Up Down Suite @godspeed @torontodj @Dreampopboy @Skyline @BreatheBox @Coochi @scottdisick94 @Robsolete @RetroPhysical @citoig @joeee @aaronhansome @Jimmyandroid @BEST FICTION @BTG @Lila @K94 @clowezra @KingBruno @eliminathan @acl @LTG @Mikl C @Ramalama @Markus1981 @Mr Blonde @Music Is Life @fancygreen @Weslicious @Touchofmyhand @beyoncésweave)
    LOWEST SCORE: 3.5 x 1 (@Verandi)
    MY SCORE: 10/10

Sorry, but I just couldn't resist the gag of three songs from the same album leaving in one night, at the threshold of the Top 40.

It's so annoying that even after you find love, it can find ways to make your life difficult. That very slow feeling like coming out of hibernation where you're falling, and falling, and before you know it, you're in awe that you've somehow found the best person in the universe and they want to be with you... but it can invert, if you have the kind of analytical mind that needs to turn everything in your life this way and that, look at it from the bottom and the top, look at it in the right light, and maybe even start to dismantle it. And Madonna definitely has that kind of mind. I do too, so it's no surprise that I love a song that is all about being in love with someone so amazing that you start to think that you're not only not amazing, but... average. Worse than average. In fact, you're kind of crap. Why does anyone even like being around you? You're nothing. In fact, you're worse than nothing. You're an actively negative force in the world and you should just--

Thankfully, we find Madonna on the way back up this spiral, where she's regained a bit of self-esteem ("bitchwhere.gif" - me, about me, 2020) and realised that you can be in love with someone incredible and have that love returned because you are incredible too. Look, Madonna's no stranger to empowerment anthems. Her discography is full of them, and they come in all shapes and sizes, but I feel like this is one of the most low-key ones out there. It focuses on how you can actually find yourself settled and happy and still pick at things like a scab. And that's okay, as long as you don't start really digging and opening up wounds again. "X-Static Process" is a shocking dive into the insecurities of the one person in the world who has nothing to be insecure about. Someone who has everything but still, occasionally, maybe thinks she deserves nothing. And ain't that just too damn relatable?

It's just a beautiful track. The sparse, intimate production matching Madonna's subdued, hushed delivery. Like this is a secret told in the dark in bed when you've finally been confronted about what's troubling you. The double meaning of "Jesus Christ, will you look at me?" Even how some of the vocal takes layer over one another like doubting thoughts that drown out the words coming out of your mouth. The way you can hear in her voice that doubt and resignation of becoming a dimmer version of yourself when you're next to someone you adore, and how it becomes a feedback loop of sadness because that version of you isn't who they fell in love with, and that only makes the whole thing worse UGH. Thank God it ends with Madonna realising she's the HBIC because it would probably be her saddest song ever, if not.

Am I surprised this song struck such a nerve that three people awarded it their 11/10? No, I am not. Let us begin with @nikkysan, who touches on an angle I didn't even consider because I'm dead inside, "So, despite the plethora of immaculate, classic bops and beautiful, lush ballads Madonna has blessed us with over the years, this sparse little folk number is getting my 11 because no song of hers has really touched me like this has. Being in love really does change your perspective on so many things. And love came to me rather unexpectedly. I'm going on two years in my relationship with my boyfriend this year and he really made me learn to love myself. Being separated from him for quite a while now due to the Covid-19 pandemic has been difficult for me, but it has also made me take a step back to truly evaluate who I am and the person I've become since meeting him, or maybe I've always been this person, but it was him who made me finally realise it. I've spent quite a few evenings in my room having a little cry to this when I've been longing to see him again. The trio of ballads right in the middle of American Life all could've taken my 11 since I feel I can really relate my relationship to them, but X-Static Process digs the deepest for me. Such an understatedly beautiful song." Mmm this is such a good take too; the love of others should lift you up rather than push you down, which appears to be the conclusion reached by the end of the track.

We close with @sexercise, who doesn't seem to realise that standing Taylor Swift is most likely the reason they love this track, "I hate when I have an 11 and I really don’t have a lot to say about it nn. This is my favorite song of hers. I relate to the existential anxiety and feeling lost. I love a big pop spectacle, but the stripped back production really allows her vocals to shine & it adds to the slightly dark atmosphere of the song. Madame X isn’t someone you’re coming to for a Mariah-esque vocal, but her voice is gorgeous." Taylor found OUTFOLKED!

The song was performed sporadically as part of the promo tour for American Life, but it didn't get any tour outing until, you guessed it, Tears Of A Clown, which was basically just The American Life Tour in retrospect. Enjoy!

15. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

16. LTG

LTG

I. Can’t.

17. RJF

RJF

I'll starting updating the playlist, shall I?

One elimination tomorrow as I treated y'all tonight. ;)

18. That was unexpected and hit hard.

19. Someone's gonna die today

20. Ok absolute MESS at @Verandi giving Love Profusion their 11 and giving a fucking 3.5 to the wildly superior X-Static Process...I....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.