Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE | Page 454 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Sorry and Jump, feel free to vacate the premise.

Chezam and Sleepycat like this.
  2. My sisters and meee
    my sisters and meee!

3. Heard it all before
    Heard it all before
    Heard it all before
    Heard it aaaallllll befooooooooorrrrrrrrr

Filippa likes this.
  4. Barely felt a thing

MilesAngel likes this.
  5. RJF

RJF

I'm... surprised to see so many calls for "Jump" to leave when I think it's one of the most elegant pop songs remaining. I mean of course everything left is on a scale of Great to GREAT, but I think @dodoriazarbon put it quite well a while back as to why it's so good. Go pick on "Sorry" instead you witches!

6. Jump is a great pop song and a great tribute to the ‘80s. Also I feel like it’s the only song on Confessions where I can tell it was originally for the musical. The other songs I just cannot imagine at all.

7. @MilesAngel, @happiestgirl, and @Verandi.

[​IMG]

I certainly don't hate any of those songs but they're a 6, 7, and an 8 for me. I enjoyed seeing this cull and reading messery surrounding it.

Sorry about it.

I'm basic, but Mother and Father is jumps off the page in comparison and that got crushed early on so I'll forever seethe at that.

Jump and Sorry are literally Top 10 songs among what is left. However since everyone is coming for Jump it's going to jump from the rate like Gags at the Superb Owl any moment now.

Mister_G and MilesAngel like this.
  8. @RJF's beautiful write up and the commentary of 11-givers definitely made me appreciate "X-Static Process" much more.
    There's something very 70's folk singer-songwriter about it and I find that very charming (no wonder @Lila adores the song).

Absolutely. That is a great and the only correct decision, as well as seeing it climb almost 25 spots compared to the previous rate. Nothing even comes close to it, comparing it to her other album closers. I consider it the best song from "American Life", too.
    However, "Easy Ride" just missing out of the top 40 will haunt me forever.

9. The girlies for whom Confessions is only rollerskates and Farah Fawcett hair and glitter and disco.. well, I feel for them. Give me that goddamn Death Note wig, that cheap ass 'I'm on Tour right now!' video and a message. Hung Up and Sorry have a top tier place in the canon, but real ones know that Get Together and Jump are THEE singles from Confessions. Both of those act as spiritual and thematic sequels/continuiations of key points she made from the beginning (and Jump is clearly Keep It Together 05 but entirely more relatable).

Get Together is that idea of dance, music, the frisson in the club representing physical connection in the literal sense but there being this kinda cosmic power behind said connection, that it could almost be looked at on a macro level as much as the micro. And Jump is another great direct ask of hers; are you ready? Will you work? What will you do if/when you're alone? Is your support system enough? Are you able to function and achieve in yourself? When the rallying cry comes, what will you do?

That she gives these two in particular quite simple-on-paper chorus lyrics is classic M! Can we Get Together? Are you ready to Jump? She wants you to dance, to bop, but there's so much more there. I'm actually glad that at least on here Jump in particular is given it's flowers, even if it's surely going to fall soon.

Anyway, let me go catch-up. I hear there's been an American Bloodbath.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
  10. RJF

RJF

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SCORE: 8.588

11 x 1

@tommylander

2015 PLACEMENT: DOWN 9 - 30 of 210 (8.574)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 43 (@AshtrayHeart @Tigerlily @Vasilios @cheida @Raichu @No hay banda @eatyourself @m_dimitrov @maverick_79 @tylerc904 @Suburbia @matthew. @GimmeWork @Ana Raquel @Andy French @fatyoshi @godspeed @torontodj @1991 @NightmareBoy @Skyline @Hurricane Drunk @letuinmybackdoor @Drew @Sideout @unnameable @joeee @TrueBeliever @DinahLee @Bleu Noir @Jimmyandroid @Sleepycat @Pop Life @K94 @TheChoirgirlHotel @Remorque @Digital Ghost @MrMannacroix @Ramalama @Holly Something @Mr Blonde @Weslicious @Push)
    LOWEST SCORE: 4.5 x 1 (@Butterfly)
    MY SCORE: 8/10

Y'all after I dress you up in my love:

[​IMG]

The Top 40 breached, an album's remaining tracks halved, and an album dropping out in the space of twenty four hours? Things are really starting to heat up now. "Dress You Up" falls nearly ten places from its spot in the Top 30, but marginally improves its score. Bear in mind that the 80s Rate in 2015 didn't have nearly as much competition or as many voters, so I don't think this is a bad showing all round.

This is probably the most enduring, rock-solid bop from Like A Virgin for me. The bedrock of Madonna's entire career was built on the power of simple, economical, devilishly catchy songs just like this, and it's important to remember that when sometimes it's a little too easy to dismiss it as dated fluff in the wake of the more daring material that would follow. Again, I find myself posting the same thing I've posted a while back: sometimes a pop song is just a very, very, very good pop song, and there are no requirements for it to be anything else. "Dress You Up" is one such moment. It's just a dazzling, cheeky, sexy little 80s stormer; If you haven't fallen in love by the time Madonna is threatening to love you from head down to your "toe-oh-ohs" then you're dead inside.

Would you believe it almost wasn't even on the album? Nile Rodgers had commissioned Andrea LaRusso and Peggy Stanziale (Who, when Googled, only seem to lead back to this song. A claim to fame!) to... basically write a Chic song for Madonna to sing. Sis, aren't you in Chic? You write a damn song. Both songwriters submitted "Dress You Up" late in the process because they were busy with other projects that Google honestly doesn't seem to have the faintest idea about so I'm guessing they were washing their hair that night? Either way, Miss Rodgers was about to chuck the whole thing entirely because he didn't have time to write a song around what had been submitted (again, sis, isn't this what you do for a living?!) until Madonna rightfully stepped in and said, "Hold up; aren't you meant to be making songs for my album? MAKE SOME FUCKING SONGS THEN." and saved what is, really, the only properly great song on the album from certain doom.

For such an iconic era, Like A Virgin kind of runs out of steam in terms of visual content after its first two singles, with "Dress You Up" receiving a live video from The Virgin Tour, where it opened the show. Although I guess when you had about six songs smashing simultaneously, priorities get a little muddled. The song was also performed on Who's That Girl, the second leg of Sticky & Sweet, and was crushed into a brutal 80s medley on Rebel Heart. As always, enjoy all of the above, below.

Like A Virgin OUT.

11. She did well for being bumped from Immaculate (incorrectly). Definitely the best Virgin song.

12. Madonna 80s Top 3.

13. This slaps.

Music Is Death, acl, Syzygyz and 2 others like this.
  14. RJF

RJF

Imagine her trying to replicate it each night on tour in 2004 through...

15. Dress You Up is pop perfection.

16. LTG

LTG

Oop I thought I gave a 10, but bumped it down to a 9.5. Best song on the non-Into the Groove version of the album.

17. LTG

LTG

Sis this entire top 40 is pop perfection, we’re just splitting hairs.

18. "Dress You Up" isn't an ideal elimination, but it did really good for being a song from "Like a Virgin".

Despite not even being in my top 3 from that album (it's my close 4th favourite), I find it so enjoyable and fun that it actually should've made the top 30 out of the remaining songs. The melody in the verses is delicious and the chorus is so fun and catchy (including the deeper delivery tone of "all over your body" lines in the middle-8 after afterwards, which had me sold). I gave it an 8.5 in the end.
    But, yeah, I understand that the lack of lyrical depth caused it to fall at this spot (even though several songs with similar features should've left before it).

19. I love, love, love the extra lyrics towards the end on the live version from 1985.

20. When it comes to her early 80's songs, "Dress You Up" should've definitely outlasted "Holiday" and "Borderline".
    Also, I consider "Dress You Up" slightly better than "Into the Groove"

Mvnl, dodoriazarbon and Sleepycat like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.