Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE | Page 460 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Iconic song. Iconic (scrapped/leaked) video.

And to top it all off, she quite literally invented rap music...

2. RJF

RJF

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SCORE: 8.618

2015 PLACEMENT: NON-MOVER - 37 of 210 (8.372)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 46 (@nikkysan @Andreas @Vasilios @cheida @eatyourself @tom71 @Sprockrooster @maverick_79 @tylerc904 @sfmartin @JMRGBY @DJHazey @Remyky22 @AllGagaLike @Cutlery @GimmeWork @Mjg0806 @elear @Up Down Suite @torontodj @theelusivechanteuse @1991 @Syzygyz @BreatheBox @letuinmybackdoor @Sideout @unnameable @RetroPhysical @joeee @Xanax @TrueBeliever @DinahLee @Bleu Noir @Jimmyandroid @Miss Lange @Crisp X @phoenix123 @Pop Life @clowezra @Digital Ghost @Trinu 3.0 @MrMannacroix @LTG @Markus1981 @Weslicious @Touchofmyhand)
    DEAD INSIDE: 4 x 1 (@Lila)
    MY SCORE: 8/10

It's FUCKING HOLIDAY PEOPLE!!!!!!

Fun fact: I went through an edgy phase when I was really getting into Madonna where I thought "Holiday" was a bit shit and much preferred her more challenging, less popular work. Even funner fact: nowadays, I can never listen to "Holiday" just once whenever I put it on. Hell, I put it on to do this write up and am now on my fourth consecutive play. I honestly don't know if there is a cheerier pop song in the world than this; I've had multiple points in the last few weeks/months/years where my mood is troughing and I don't really know how to get out of the rut and "Holiday" is genuinely like someone pouring sunlight down my throat. It's so deceptively... transportive? I'm anywhere but where I am when I listen to it; I'm swept away to somewhere else where burden doesn't exist. It's just so friendly and... gentle, which are two weird ways to describe a song, but that's all I got. It's familiar, and safe, and harbour. I'm taken away somewhere completely different with each listen but that place is always good. It's so pure and powerful. It's pop alchemy, and you will pay it the respect it's due.

I... can't be bothered doing the whole genesis of the track thing when I just want to link to all the times she's performed it over the years. I don't really think one understands the power of "Holiday" until you've seen it or experienced it live. All of what I just described? Imagine everyone in an arena feeling that, because that's the real power of this song: it has the same effect on everyone (apart from Miss @Lila who needs to look at herself tbh) and produces euphoria en masse in ways that I have never seen. I'm sure Madonna is fucking sick of it at this point, but it must all fade away when she hears the roar of the crowd the moment those opening seconds kick in. I can't pick a favourite from below really, but special shout out to the insane reaction it gets on Drowned World purely because she had been depriving the girls of the 80s hits all night. Scream. What a song. Enjoy!

The Girlie Show
    Drowned World
    Re-Invention
    Sticky & Sweet

3. Madonna getting so much flack during Justify My Love into the Erotica era for expressing sexuality, and then rebutting interviewers with the fact that violence doesn't draw the same amount of criticism, and then going on to satirize + deconstruct violence in society through videos for "American Life," "What It Feels Like for a Girl," and "God Control" is a masterful evolution I hadn't considered until this rate and holistically analyzing her career.

4. Holiday before Jump? Suddenly I don’t like it as much.

5. American Life's rap is too powerful
    Holiday's hooks are too powerful

6. The original American Life video is a masterpiece and one of her most confrontational, nightmarish artistic statements - and personally, while I agree that her official statement re: pulling the video (which in 2020 reads as prescient and only the tip of the Bush Years iceberg) does come off a bit jarring, I can't exactly fault her considering the death threats towards her family. I'm glad we have the director's cut in any case - I watch it at least once a year and find something new in it every single time.

The song has also aged like fine wine, and while I don't have three nannies an assistant and a driver and a jet, I find that the older I get, the verses in particular hit harder. I feel like nobody really ever talks about how bluntly they capture what a frustrating and depressing experience trying to navigate this dumbass world can be.
    Like, I've felt all of this at least four or five times in the last decade as I've stumbled through my twenties. Loneliness and disillusion is a common undercurrent in American Life as an album, but there's something about the way the title track in particular is written that feels especially visceral.

7. RJF

RJF

Never did I think we would get to the point where I could just... type the remaining songs from memory, but wow. We really don't have much of the road left to travel.

Borderline

Into The Groove

Papa Don't Preach
    Open Your Heart
    Live To Tell
    La Isla Bonita

Like A Prayer
    Express Yourself
    Till Death Do Us Part
    Oh Father

Vogue

Justify My Love

Erotica
    Deeper And Deeper
    Rain

Secret
    Human Nature
    Bedtime Story

Drowned World/Substitute For Love
    Ray Of Light
    Skin
    Nothing Really Matters
    Sky Fits Heaven
    Frozen
    The Power Of Goodbye

Beautiful Stranger

Music
    Don't Tell Me
    What It Feels Like For A Girl

Nothing Fails
    Die Another Day

Hung Up
    Get Together
    Sorry
    Jump

God Control

8. Borderline being the last remaining track her from her first two albums is absolutely correct. Maybe this rate made a point!

9. I expected Music and Don't Tell Me to hang around for a long time (as they should!) but god I'm so happy What It Feels Like For A Girl is still here.

10. I’m gonna spike my soy latte double shotay with sulfuric acid and throw it in your goddamn faces.

11. American Life and Holiday literally live at opposite ends of the spectrum of confrontational to escapist Madonna, so losing both back to back today was the most jarring whiplash.
    [​IMG]

12. Lila

Lila Staff Member

Sorry @RJF I’ve got depression

13. RJF

RJF

Well did you ever think if you listened to "Holiday" more you would probably just be able to get over it??? Pathetic!!!

14. "American Life" nearly got a 10 from me and should've been in the top 15 here. Mess...
    What an amazing/iconic song + video combo!

"Holiday", on the other hand, is obviously one of the weakest remaining songs and a great elimination.
    It's fun and... that's about it.

soratami likes this.
  15. What's with all of these bookend singles departing the rate together?

"Holiday" was Madonna's first song to chart on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 (Peak: #16), inaugurating a consecutive streak that concluded with "American Life" (Peak: #37) nearly TWO DECADES later.

[​IMG]

The songs on either side of that streak, "Burning Up" and "Hollywood", also left this rate holding hands earlier this week...

[​IMG]

16. When did the American Life video actually “leak”? Like did it just turn up online one day or what? Anyway, I know the whole point is the ~message~ but that routine in the bathroom/corridor. Wow. My tits fly off every time I watch it.

17. This will probably get swallowed up quite quickly because of eliminations but just came across this great video that displays how her sales progressed in the UK as each year passed. Ray of Light is so close to 2 million sales.

Another for the singles.

18. RJF

RJF

I wanna talk a little bit more about the "American Life" video because I do think that she deserves far more credit than she gets for even just having it as a thing that exists. It's not easy for artists of Madonna's calibre to make moves like that; she's had her face to the furnace more than most popstars, and the heat that comes her way thanks to being as successful and huge as she is, is terrible. It's so much easier for smaller artists in that regard. Like, M.I.A. can easily make a daring statement piece because no one out of the six people who sees it is going to get mad. Madonna draws an audience; this is something she has always been hyper aware of; especially off the back of Music. And she even considered doing something like that? TRAILBLAZER.
    This is another thing too; the video is razor-sharp but it doesn't sacrifice a single pop video sensibility to do it. Even the dancing feels pointed; they all seem fuming. And of course Madonna dressed as some kind of general is serving... but it also manages to fit stuff in like dismembered soldiers being abandoned and racism and climate change and like?????? Her fucking MIND.

19. "PROTECT ME" carved into the bathroom stall is such a fleeting but weirdly powerful moment. I rewatched the video again off the back of the elimination just now and it hit me like a punch to the face.

20. If I'm remembering correctly, one cut of the original video was shown in parts of the world (just not the U.S.) and that was captured so that made the rounds online in a pre-YouTube world.

A few years later, Jonas Akerlund put his Director's Cut up on his official website and that's the one most commonly seen now. Apparently there were 50 different endings, one of which can be seen as a backdrop during the 'Re-Invention Tour'.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.