Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE | Page 467 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Praying you girls make Rain Top 20
    [​IMG]

In other news Jump, Sky Fits Heaven and Skin can piss off now

Uno, NightmareBoy, cheida and 2 others like this.
  2. deserves to be a top 20 smash, yes

3. I'm actually gagged Sky Fits Heaven and Skin have lasted this long. Talent!

4. RJF

RJF

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SCORE: 8.697

2015 PLACEMENT: DOWN 4 - 31 of 210 (8.534)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 35 (@AshtrayHeart @cheida @dodoriazarbon @eatyourself @Sprockrooster @maverick_79 @JMRGBY @DJHazey @gezza76 @GimmeWork @Mjg0806 @relby @torontodj @Syzygyz @NightmareBoy @Modeblock @muddleddreams @scottdisick94 @Drew @Sideout @MilesAngel @joeee @Bleu Noir @paperboyfriendd @Epic Chocolat @phoenix123 @Lila @Pop Life @clowezra @Remorque @Digital Ghost @Verandi @nametag @sexercise @beyoncésweave)
    LOWEST SCORE: 5.5 x 2 (@Robsolete @Ramalama)
    MY SCORE: 9/10

I think the highest and lowest scores tell the story quite well as to how "Jump" has made this far. Not too many perfect scores, but only two scores out of over 160 voters below a 6/10, and over 140 scores either 8/10 or above. I think its performance and its scoring are honestly appropriate for the track, which really has caught a lot of unfair flack in the last week or so when the reality is that it's one of Madonna's finest, perhaps subtler singles, and y'all can stay mad and sad and bad and in bad moods about it.

So many of Madonna's calls to arms has her greet us from the other side. She's been through the wilderness, and it's great, so what the fuck are you waiting for, you pussy? "Jump" takes slightly different approach to that stance, however. Instead of being accomplished and imperious, Madonna is empathetic and encouraging. "Jump" has her acknowledging that leaps of faith are hard, and it might be a while before you find yourself on solid ground again, but sometimes, they are necessary. There are so many things in our lives that we cannot control - whether it be through circumstance in a personal scale, or literally everything on a maxi scale that is going to hell at the moment - so it's important that we are bold and unblinking in the choices and decisions we do get to make. Doubt and caution are valid, yes, but sometimes you're never going to know unless you just go. So here Madonna is, sneaking up behind us, and nudging us over the edge.

The song itself is just such an elegantly crafted little pop jewel. That looping string sample that sets the tone so well; not only setting the stage for something poised and graceful, but also giving that sense of urgency; strings caught on the perpetual edge of crescendo, toes on the precipice. Madonna sweeps low in her delivery on the verses before belting it out on one of Confession's most insidiously catchy choruses. Yes, the hooks are mostly just a collection of clichés, but there are also some lyrical gems in there. The second verse alone where life is likened to falling from the top of a tall tree and hitting every branch on the way down is a great metaphor, because although hitting those branches hurts, they also break your fall and let you survive the landing. There is also not a maladjusted homosexual alive who hasn't resentfully thought "I can make it alone!" in their darkest hours, or any hour for that matter, in the lives we lead that are, on balance, far lonelier than most and force us to do things on our own anyway. It's a biT of low-key Pride anthem tbh, because Christ, ain't being queer and walking out your front door some days a brave step in itself?! Anyway.

Madonna was deep into the Confessions Tour by the time "Jump" was chosen as a single, so she stuck on her finest Party City wig, an outfit that honestly make her look more like an electrician or a plumber rather than a pop star, and stunted about some poles while parkour boys literally jumped about Tokyo. It's the definition of a tour video. It was also performed wonderfully during the tour, where basically all the above happens on stage, but Madonna is dressed far better. Elements of it were also used for "Into The Groove" on Sticky & Sweet during what I assume was the jump rope bit, but all the hits on Sticky & Sweet seemed to get mangled with about eight different songs crammed into them so I'm not going to bother posting it. Enjoy!

5. Jump and Vogue making it onto the The Devil Wears Prada soundtrack is a true pop justice.

Also I unashamedly love her Death Note wig in the video.

6. RJF

RJF

Hmm. I think I'll do one more elimination tonight, and do the proper catch up tomorrow with three eliminations, taking us into the new week with our Top 30.

Also, special shout out to the transition between "Forbidden Love" and "Jump" in the mixed version of Confessions, which is honestly responsible for about three of the nine points I gave. When the strings of the latter start to mix with the closing bleep bloops of the former:

[​IMG]

7. Absolutely. A moment.

8. In all fairness to Warner Bros, the Above & Beyond Club Radio Edit was the B-side of the 2 track cassette and CD singles, and the full version of their remix is on at least one part of virtually every other release.

They were also pushing DVD singles as yet another format at the time, so I imagine they considered that the way to get it.

[​IMG]

Allegedly, while editing was taking place, Madonna kept calling Above & Beyond for alterations to their remix that would better fit the video which explains the differences between the two.

9. I adore "Jump" and why am I still stunned that they gave us a classic extended version of it? THANKS STUART!

10. I love the Above & Beyond mix of What It Feels Like For A Girl and the album version just about equally. It's nice that the remix has become something of a trance classic and, according to A&B themselves, really catapulted them into the stratosphere. Their take on Nobody Knows Me is also incredible.

11. Jump is the perfect fourth single, its elegant, bouncy and fabulous.

Now feels like the right time for Sorry, Skin, and Sky fits heaven to leave, all amazing songs but its time to leave space for the crucial Madonna tracks.

Andrew.L and Chezam like this.
  12. Jump - 10. This is my favourite song on the album. I love the message of the lyrics, and although I don't always follow their advice, they still motivate me to develop and move forward whenever I listen, even if only mentally.
    The melody and production are so dynamic and they help to reinforce the meaning of the song.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
    relby likes this.
  13. I gave What It Feels Like... an 8.5 for the gorgeous production, but I've always been kinda bothered by the lyrics: "smooth lips as sweet as candy", "hair that twirls on finger tips so gently", "skin that shows in patches"... this is not what it means to be a girl/woman? It sounds oddly stereotypical for a song with a subject like this. Am I not getting something?

14. In my fantasy, songs that shouldn't make Top 30:
    Erotica
    Justify My Love
    Drowned World/Substitute For Love
    Beautiful Stranger
    God Control

What I THINK will be ousted next:
    Beautiful Stranger
    God Control
    Nothing Fails
    Die Another Day
    Rain

Maki and MilesAngel like this.
  15. I'm happy Jump has jumped out the rate, it doesn't belong amongst this sea of 10's left.

Jump >>>> Jump

16. I see the lyrics as setting up an external vs. internal narrative - the verses use stereotypical signifiers of femininity to show what the subject sees in a woman (hair, lips, hips, etc.)

This is contrasted in the pre-chorus and chorus, which show the internal reality of being a woman "strong inside but you don't know it", "hurt that's not supposed to show". The production ramping up in the pre-chorus echoes the intensity of feeling.

I'm sure somebody out there can put this much better than I have, including how it relates to the world's perception of Madonna's own image, but that's my take on it.

17. I mean, the lyrics directly after are:
    Which to me suggests that the first lines of the verses are meant to be ironic/reflecting comments that are commonly directed toward women back to the people (usually men) who say those things - and that also explains why the second half of each verse is more pointed. But that’s my reading of it.

18. I beg to disagree. I hope all these songs bar Beautiful Stranger make the top 20.
    Erotica? Iconic
    Justify My Love? Perfection
    Drowned World/Substitute For Love? One of her best ballads along with Frozen
    God Control? Its everything I didnt know I needed from her in 2019. Her best song since 2005

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
    NightmareBoy and Sprockrooster like this.
  19. This cloud, this cloud
    Says "Noah
    C'mon and build me an Ark"
    And if you're coming, JUMP

sfmartin likes this.
  20. "Jump" overstayed its welcome, most likely due to being a single, but it's a pretty good song. I just find it too simple and not convincing enough melodically.
    And seems like I'm among those ~20 lowest scorers, since it received a 7.5 from me (which seems fair, if not a bit too much).

Also, looks like "Jump" is the most consistently scored song of the rate so far, right? I fairly certain there weren't any songs that had their lowest score as 5.5 or higher.

Sprockrooster and Chezam like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.