Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE | Page 472 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. ugh

Push, torontodj and Chezam like this.
  2. I’m gagged to be honest. Borderline was nearly my 11, it just radiates such warm and effortless pop magic for me I can’t help but smile every damn time I listen to it. I expected top 20 but the least y’all could’ve done was top 30!

3. I love Borderline, I just prefer other songs!

Andrew.L likes this.
  4. Die Another Day should be number one. I have nothing else to offer.

Womanizer, sfmartin, Andrew.L and 2 others like this.
  5. I was surprised that I was one of the highest scorers for the debut album. My highest score was a 10 for Lucky Star and my lowest was 6.5 for Think Of Me. I gave Borderline 8.

6. I was also in the highest scorers for Like A Virgin. My highest score were 10's for Material Girl and Angel and my lowest score was 5.5 for Shoo-Bee-Doo.

Andrew.L and Maki like this.
  7. BTG

BTG

I didn’t realise you all stanned Music (the song) this much.

8. Yes, yes we do.

9. I mean, who really doesn't?

[​IMG]

10. RJF

RJF

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SCORE: 8.782

11 x 1

@Remorque

2015 PLACEMENT: UP 2 - 34 of 210 (8.412)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 40 (@nikkysan @funkyg @Tigerlily @Vasilios @aux @Jwentz @No hay banda @djmakemewet @tylerc904 @DJHazey @Remyky22 @Cutlery @soratami @Phonetics Boy @relby @Up Down Suite @godspeed @1991 @Syzygyz @Dreampopboy @scottdisick94 @R27 @RetroPhysical @joeee @DinahLee @Jimmyandroid @BEST FICTION @Mister_G @Sleepycat @phoenix123 @Filippa @TheChoirgirlHotel @RainOnFire @Ramalama @nametag @Holly Something @Markus1981 @Music Is Life @Weslicious @Beautiful Child 2)
    LOWEST SCORE: 5 x 1 (@Butterfly)
    MY SCORE: 8.5/10

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Madonna married Sean Penn on her birthday in 1985. It would be a marriage that would go on to inform Madonna's output over the course of her next two albums and probably further, but True Blue and Like A Prayer stand out as the most obvious examples of the effect he had on her music. The former was at the peak of their giddy honeymoon phase (True Blue's title track was written about him after all, and rumour has it most of the love songs were too) and the latter was inspired by the smouldering wreckage left in the wake of their divorce. Stories and rumours had swirled the entire time they were together; they were passionate, both when it came to getting along and when it came to arguing as well. There was no in between; they had an all or nothing kind of relationship. And those can be good; they can be intense, and intimate, and comforting, and fucking hot quite frankly. But sometimes these things... twist, and when egos and tempers and two people who thrive on high octane emotions repeatedly clash, it can be calamitous.

Late in 1988, Madonna filed assault and battery charges against her husband. Reports at the time said that Sean forced his way into her home, tied her to a chair after she attempted to flee, threatened to cut her hair off, and beat her. The lieutenant at the sheriff's office said that when Madonna arrived, she was unrecognisable as herself; her lip was bleeding, and she had obviously been assaulted. Sean was charged, but days later Madonna filed for divorce and dropped the charges. Far, far, far later, twenty seven years later at the end of 2015 to be exact, Madonna came out and denied that any kind of assault had happened. I think she said something because of renewed scrutiny on their relationship after Sean turned up at a few Rebel Heart Tour dates and she actively reached out to him during the shows, but either way: Madonna says nothing happened, and both have appeared friendly since, each saying they still have a lot of love for one another.

Twice in the years after their divorce, and maybe more that I'm missing, Madonna has said that Sean was the love of her life. Simply. Emphatically. Undeniably. In Truth Or Dare, a film that sees her in a relationship in its death throes with Dick Tracy co-star Warren Beatty, Madonna gives the answer you see in those GIFs mere months after everything I described above happened. "Till Death Do Us Apart" manages to hold both as truths. Madonna is a romantic at heart, but I think romance can be a lot of things, and can be misconstrued as a lot too. People can end up thinking that knuckles crashing into your mouth is love; that abuse is affection, that passion is someone screaming in your face. Like that kind of Shakespearean tragic romance where no one was happy and everyone died but my God at least they were all in each other's arms when it happened. Is there anything more romantic than dying together? Til death do us part.

"Til Death Do Us Part" is a damning testimony of a marriage in meltdown and emotions inverted; a love that burns like acid and corrodes everything it touches. The story it tells is sad and also unspeakably dark. "Til death do us part" translates into "If I'm going down I'm taking you down with me." and self-hatred overflows and turns into hating the ones closest to you. It's probably one of Madonna's most brutal and elegant works as a writer. It's so swift and succinct; confessions and damning indictments spilling out of every line as Patrick Leonard provides a production that's both oddly buoyant yet plaintive at the same time, particularly the guitar solo close to the song's emotional crescendo. Another great touch is the doublespeak in the post-chorus with Madonna drably echoing the lyrics like she's in a witness box and not the vocal booth. For better or worse, it's an account of the love of her life, and how she realised it was over. I think it manages to portray the devastation and reasoning perfectly, along with clearly showing that feelings don't always fade when they should. Maybe they even last for decades.

"Til Death Do Us Part" has never been performed live.

11. Fewming at both of these eliminations! Borderline should have been Top 10 and Till Death Do Us Part is...literally one of her best songs ever. 80s M has no equal!

12. That should have guaranteed it a spot in the Top 10.

torontodj and Andrew.L like this.
  13. Finding room in the Top 30 for almost 10 Ray of Light songs but not Borderline. Girls. Girls! Get a grip!

14. When I bought the Like a Prayer album back then I thought Till Death Do Us Part was the most obvious hit mess! I was not wrong.

15. Well. That writeup was heavy to read upon. Well done @RJF. I did not know everything you mentioned so imagine my surprise that I manage to love this woman even more.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020

16. Debi whispering Sean's name is so telling.

17. RJF

RJF

It's nice to see the girls who didn't vote turn out as the results get close to the end. Miss @Mushroom what's good???

18. Lila

Lila Staff Member

Borderline is a perfect song.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.