Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE | Page 473 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. RJF

RJF

So instead of 31, we have... a tie at 30! That's right; Madonna is so good she has 31 songs in her Top 30. Queen!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    SCORE: 8.788

11 x 1
    @AllGagaLike

2015 PLACEMENT: UP 8 - 8.335
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 46 (@nikkysan @AshtrayHeart @Tigerlily @aux @P'NutButter @eatyourself @HEARTCORE @m_dimitrov @tylerc904 @Future Lover @Remyky22 @Cutlery @Suburbia @Phonetics Boy @Andy French @torontodj @1991 @Syzygyz @Dreampopboy @Fuchsia @Modeblock @Coochi @DominoDancing @Hurricane Drunk @scottdisick94 @Robsolete @Sideout @MilesAngel @RetroPhysical @Zdarlight @joeee @VeryPSB @Candy Perfume Girl @Miss Lange @Crisp X @Lila @clowezra @Rogue @TheChoirgirlHotel @KingBruno @Remorque @Digital Ghost @RainOnFire @nametag @japanbonustrack @Beautiful Child 2)
    LOWEST SCORE: 5.5 x 2 (@paullypaul @dancingwithmyself)
    MY SCORE: 8/10

"Skin" only received ten scores below 7/10. Out of one hundred and sixty five voters. This is the calibre of track we're dealing with here in the Madonna Discography Rate at #30 for fuck sake. "Skin" leaving also means that "Sky Fits Heaven" is officially Madonna's best album track, as voted for by y'all. I know the jury's out on whether or not "God Control" counts as a single, but let's be honest: in terms of a 2019 Madonna single, it most definitely does, and this is my fucking rate, so what I say goes.

I've done two pretty bulky write ups already today so I'm afraid "Skin" probably isn't going to get much out of me but... I don't think it requires much analysis? "Kiss me I'm dying." sounds like a pick up line that some of you have most definitely tried in the past to what I'm sure were wildly differing results, but it rather perfectly nails the urgency and point of the song instantly; the desperation for touch, for skin-on-skin on contact. Fuck me, fuck me, fuck me. The song is basically this:

(NSFW???)

...but given a 90s trance facelift. It's a banger; it bangs, banging is its field, and it's also about banging to boot. Madonna even sounds like she achieves orgasm by the end of it. I do think it maybe has managed to go a little further than it should have here, but I imagine all of us are craving anybody's hands on us or in us or up us or through us at this point in 2020. So. The production is spectacular, I'll give it that.

"Skin" was never performed live, so here is a video of the original, more elastic demo, and three promo videos for MDNA Skin. Mother really does have a youthful complexion. Oh, and that Beauty Roller is literally just a penis. Enjoy!

2. RJF

RJF

Into The Groove

Papa Don't Preach
    Open Your Heart
    Live To Tell
    La Isla Bonita

Like A Prayer
    Express Yourself
    Oh Father

Vogue

Justify My Love

Erotica
    Deeper And Deeper
    Rain

Secret
    Human Nature
    Bedtime Story

Drowned World/Substitute For Love
    Ray Of Light
    Nothing Really Matters
    Sky Fits Heaven
    Frozen
    The Power Of Goodbye

Music
    Don't Tell Me

Nothing Fails
    Die Another Day

Hung Up
    Get Together
    Sorry

God Control​

3. Skin is incredible teebs, I don't know why I gave it a 9,5. It's in my album trinity with Frozen and Ray of Light. I don't remember if it's M's longest track but surely it's one of those three or four.

Music Is Death, Crisp X, Maki and 6 others like this.
  4. I think Skin is superior to God Control personally. It’s by far one of the most phenomenal album tracks in her discography.

5. aux

aux

I fucking hate you for reminding me of this video.

[​IMG]

Music Is Death, Push, Crisp X and 7 others like this.
  6. Till Death Do Us Part, the little album track that could. I’ve listened to this song more times than I can count over the past 18 years and it’s never not the musical equivalent of a punch in the gut.

“But what is truth when something dies?” might just be one of her best and most devastating lyrics (on an album that isn’t exactly in shortage of them). And my God, the way the song lures you in innocently enough, with that seemingly upbeat instrumental. But then the lyrics kick in - in more ways than one - and you realise that there’s nothing upbeat about this song at all: it’s actually a frantic, keeping-up-appearances deathride towards an emotional crescendo. It comes to a momentary halt towards the end, a brief moment of relief, only for Madonna to realise ... “But she’ll come back, she knows it then”. Ouch. She’s spent the entire song striking up the courage to leave, she’s literally reaching towards the doorknob now, but no, she’s stuck in a loop, which in this song’s genius soundscape is literally a shattering conclusion, and then there’s no other option but for the frantic melody to pick up again and fade out until ...???

An emotional rollercoaster of a song and, in my humble opinion, but what do I know, one of Madonna’s most essential songs.

7. RJF

RJF

8. aux

aux

I was ready to have a meltdown over "Swim" leaving, but to be honest, I can't be mad. We're rating the greatest discography of all time and landing at #2 (album tracks) and #30 (overall) is a more than respectable place to land. It's truly a highlight in her discography and I'm glad to see the audience agrees.

[​IMG]

9. RJF

RJF

Also, tonight I have decided that we'll be going as slow as we can towards the finish line, meaning that when we reach Top 20, I'm going to drop down to one elimination a day. Not only does it let every elimination sit for a bit, we will of course reach a point where albums are wrapping up their journey most days and I don't want to be doing that on top of two tracks a day.

This means that the rate should end in the second week of October, which is probably the closest I've come to setting a date for... the finale. Almost four months after the first elimination and six months after the thread first opened. Phew, a project! And I'm still beating out some of these girls who started tiny ballot rates before me! I can't!

10. God Control having a video and a poorly done radio edit means it was a single to me. Honestly, that radio edit though..

11. RJF

RJF

What's been stopping you for the last two weeks?

[​IMG]

12. Oh, c'mon... two of her best album tracks leaving one after another? It's not fair.
    "Till Death Do Us Part" is one of her finest 80's moments, better than a portion of her signature hits from that decade, and "Skin" definitely deserved more as being a 6+ minute track that very much justifies its length.

I gave both songs a 9.5, just because they are not as good as the ones I gave 10 or 11, but both deserved even more recognition.

However, "Sky Fits Heaven" being the winning album track is so pleasing. That production is another level. Honestly, it deserves a top 10 placement, which is highly unlikely for it to achieve, but it better reach top 20, then.

13. RJF

RJF

Sometimes it's a bit annoying when rates come down to just the singles, but Madonna has the strongest singles run of literally everyone in pop, so I suppose it cannot be helped.

14. Also, "Skin" is the longest lasting song that has never been performed live. An achievement.

soratami and MilesAngel like this.
  15. Thank god I heard Til Death Do Us Part for the first time as I lived it. Her power.

Holly Something and Maki like this.
  16. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Also Sky Fits Heaven is still here... right?

MilesAngel likes this.
  17. RJF

RJF

Well, yes, but it's one album track against twenty nine singles.

Music Is Death, Push, Maki and 3 others like this.
  18. aux

aux

That's a good question.

[​IMG]

19. i can’t believe you wenches

Chezam likes this.
  20. RJF

RJF

I've reported this post after accidentally clicking play on the embed while scrolling. Enjoy your ban.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.