Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE | Page 476 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. (The Shep Pettibone Remix)

2. God Control - do you remember the first time you heard it?

Jawdropping. Goosebumping. Tear inducing. Life affirming.

It deserves to bow out around the number 20 mark.

Crisp X and cheida like this.
  3. Megabop!

evilsin, Mr Blonde, 2014 and 3 others like this.
  4. God Control on the Madame X tour was such a fucking moment.

Andrew.L likes this.
  5. Is it bad that I... well not disagree... but forget about it? Being the opening performance it all happens kinda quickly and it's not a performance that sticks in my mind. I WANT the DVD/stream/whatever so I can reassess it. But when I think about what a fucking incredible clutch of performances we got, God Control gets lost in the shuffle for me!

I've come around to it still being here. I dunno what I was thinking. It represents so much of why she's still so fucking important; her willingness to speak truth, and her unwillingness to compromise. The individual elements that make it up are still unsettling. Almost comical/absurd. But they're also disarming. Fittingly.

6. It feels so correct that her most recent album is represented in the Top 30 of a rate that spans 40 years. Don’t tell her to stop, indeed.

7. Too bad she cut it from my show.

8. 'Skin' is the best album track on Ray Of Light and it's upsetting it's never been performed live.

On the topic of 'God Control', when I first heard it I loved that I was totally confused by it structurally. Madonna's most intriguing work is the kind that isn't just a simple "bop". It's layered and meaningful.

Chezam, torontodj and Maki like this.
  9. "Till Death Do Us Part" is such a perfect example of a bittersweet song. On surface, the instrumental is light and joyful, but the lyrics carry so much weight and are quite depressive, actually.
    That genius juxtaposition is just a part of what secured it a spot as her best 80's album track - as it should be.

Also, reading @RJF's write up, I'm surprised there wasn't further investigation when Madonna revealed that Sean didn't attack her after all. Did the detective lie? Were Madonna's injuries self-inflicted? Seems a bit weird that the story has an abrupt ending.

Womanizer, R27, Chezam and 1 other person like this.
  10. RJF

RJF

I think it's possible for someone to hurt you severely, both physically and emotionally, and still love them more than anything and want to protect them. I also think that "Till Death Do Us Part" is probably the most accurate testimony of how their marriage ended, regardless of any statement made in subsequent years. We also live in a world that frequently forgives men for the atrocities they commit against women, and that includes the women who are hurt. But it feels crass to speculate any further. If Madonna says it didn't happen, then... I'll respect that.

11. What a jump for Music! Considering the massive leaps of nearly every song from the Music album, I'm expecting Don't Tell Me to make it top 3.

soratami likes this.
  12. RJF

RJF

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SCORE: 8.788

11 x 1

@Ana Raquel

2015 PLACEMENT: UP 3 - 30 of 210 (8.424)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 53 (@AshtrayHeart @No hay banda @dodoriazarbon @eatyourself @HEARTCORE @m_dimitrov @Lucy Honeychurch @tylerc904 @Angeleyes @JMRGBY @AllGagaLike @Cutlery @matthew. @soratami @GimmeWork @Endothelium @Mirwais Ahmadzaï @Mjg0806 @elear @Andy French @Up Down Suite @godspeed @theelusivechanteuse @1991 @Sail On @Dreampopboy @NightmareBoy @Skyline @Modeblock @muddleddreams @scottdisick94 @R27 @RetroPhysical @Zdarlight @joeee @Xanax @VeryPSB @TrueBeliever @BEST FICTION @Pop Life @clowezra @Rogue @wintersleep @evilsin @TheChoirgirlHotel @KingBruno @Remorque @Digital Ghost @MrMannacroix @nametag @Markus1981 @Mr Blonde @Touchofmyhand)
    LOWEST SCORE: 3 x 1 (@Filippa)
    MY SCORE: 8.5/10

And we wake from slumber as "Bedtime Story" finishes its run in the 2020 rate a little higher than it finished in 2015, but the result is the same, with "Secret" and "Human Nature" fighting it out to be the highest rated track on Bedtime Stories.

I sometimes scream to think that Bedtime Stories was meant to be Madonna's rehab era where she was just gonna be cute and play it safe and not ruffle any feathers or draw too much attention to herself and generally just get a couple of cute hits when in reality, it houses one of her most bizarre, most challenging singles runs past "Secret". An unrepentant kiss off to anyone who thought her last album was too much, a massive No.1 smash, and this absolutely strange Bjork-written, throbbing, underground club banger getting one of the most expensive pop music videos of all time, packed full of imagery from multiple religions and surrealist female artists. Like... weren't you supposed to be chilling out a bit sis?

I must admit that I don't have too much affection for "Bedtime Story" despite the fact that I have a lot of academic appreciation for it. Bjork has gone on record saying that she approached the task of writing a Madonna song from the slightly power trippy angle of wanting to make Madonna say things that she had never said before, and in general, whenever she's spoken about the track, she's complained that Madonna got sections of it "wrong" when... she most likely wanted to make changes to a song that was going to have her name on it in the end. It's a weird approach to take when writing a song for someone; to essentially treat it as an exercise in attempting to prove they're a puppet on strings. And the irony of the song throwing out the importance of words is that the words here are important; Madonna's delivery feels like she copied Bjork's guide demo just a little too much; with inflections and syllables sounding more like the song's writer than its performer. So while I think it's a marvellous track, I don't find much of Madonna in it.

However, the spirit of it - this weird little album outlier that is also the album's namesake lying in wait to ambush us at the end of the tracklist - is 100% Madonna. A total left turn on an album that seemed determined to just stay on a pre-determined path. And it barrels towards the unknown; picking up the pace like synapses firing or the crescendo of a dream right before we wake up. Nellee Hooper does an amazing job bringing the UK club scene in as an influence; this could genuinely sound like something from Leftfield or Orbital (who would actually remix the track), but instead it's a pop single from the biggest popstar in the world. So if nothing else, I applaud the ingenuity behind the choices behind it, if not all the execution.

@Ana Raquel, however, awarded their 11/10 to it, so let's find out why:

"I'm usually not fan of ambient or ambient inspired tracks as they usually leave me cold. But it was this techno & slightly trance mix that make this track not only my favorite from Madonna by a landslide, but also one of my favorite songs of all time. This manages to bring me the atmosphere ambient music, alone, usually fails to. The experimentalism on this track is definitely unique and makes is a massive standout in her entire discography. Björk and her should work together anytime again."

No thank you!

Now, the video, which is easily the most enduring part of the legacy of "Bedtime Story", is iconic. The loose concept is basically a version of Madonna being plunged into a lucid dream in some kind of sexy, futuristic sensory deprivation tank, where she dreams all sorts of fucked up shit as she escapes the trappings of reality. Critics did and continue to spunk up the wall over it, frankly. The video is on permanent display at the MoMA, giving a whole new meaning to "Hang this in the MoMA.", along with being on display at the School of Visual Arts, also in New York City. It also contains several references to a lot of Madonna's favourite surrealist painters, which she explained in an interview:

“My Bedtime Story video was completely inspired by all the female surrealist painters like Leonora Carrington and Remedios Varo. There’s that one shot where my hands are up in the air and stars are spinning around me. And me flying through the hallway with my hair trailing behind me, the birds flying out of my open robe – all of those images were an homage to female surrealist painters; there’s a little bit of Frida Kahlo in there, too.”

Apparently the shot with the doves is meant to be inspired by My Birth by Frida Kahlo, which I really don't see but I'm perhaps not well versed enough to get it. The video was a massive six day shoot and cost over eight million 2019 dollars to make. I also recommend reading this lil blurb from Today In Madonna History, which includes the rather spectacular looking storyboard illustrations too.

The song has actually never been performed on tour, but Madonna did perform it at the 1995 Brit Awards, using one of the Junior Vasquez remixes that basically turns it into a Pride float bop. Still, mother looks radiant in her Versace and you give any diva a long wig and a wind machine and they'll style out anything. The song was also used as an interlude on Re-Invention, along with popping up repurposed and named "Sweet Intuition" as one of Bjork's b-sides because... she couldn't leave it alone? I don't think sis was cut out for the whole writing for others gig. Enjoy!

13. It's amazing to see Bedtime Story and Human Nature in the Top 30.

I mean, these were the first two Madonna singles to NOT make the Top 40 in North America.

Well done, Popjustice!

14. LTG

LTG

I'll always stan her getting back in the 1995 Brits dress two years back

15. LTG

LTG

Also, the Bedtime Story remixes are some of the ones I'm most looking forward to having on Spotify as she adds them all.

16. Losing most of my 10s I have left friggin sucks, but also two of my lowest scores over the weekend. I believe everything left got at least a 7/10 from me now.

I know Drowned World is an 11 contender for our host, so despite it being one of my lowest scores it'd probably be nice to see it make Top 20. I'd vote for these to go next:

Express Yourself
    Deeper and Deeper
    Rain
    Nothing Really Matters
    Music
    Die Another Day

All 8s or 8.5s, except one 7.

Sprockrooster likes this.
  17. LTG

LTG

Babe Drowned World should be at least top 5.

18. That should be Sky Fits Heaven in my opinion, along with Frozen.

Maki likes this.
  19. RJF

RJF

I should also tell y'all that we'll hit 9/10 scoring songs this week. In a matter of days, in fact.

20. Bedtime Story is probably in my personal top 20, but I’m glad it made the top 30 here.

Mr Blonde and Jwentz like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.