Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE | Page 478 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. RJF

RJF

(It appears "sexy woman death" is no longer on YouTube.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SCORE: 8.803

11 x 1

@dancingwithmyself

2015 PLACEMENT: DOWN 2 - 27 of 210 (8.632)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 48 (@nikkysan @AshtrayHeart @aux @dodoriazarbon @eatyourself @HEARTCORE @Lucy Honeychurch @tylerc904 @OSHi @JMRGBY @AllGagaLike @Cutlery @Suburbia @soratami @GimmeWork @Mirwais Ahmadzaï @Andrew.L @elear @Ana Raquel @Andy French @WoW73 @Up Down Suite @theelusivechanteuse @Joe. @FridayNight @Modeblock @Hurricane Drunk @scottdisick94 @RetroPhysical @Zdarlight @citoig @joeee @Xanax @BEST FICTION @Miss Lange @Epic Chocolat @Mister_G @phoenix123 @Lila @Pop Life @clowezra @Rogue @wintersleep @KingBruno @eliminathan @Verandi @RainOnFire @FrozenNight)
    LOWEST SCORE: 4.5 x 2 (@CasperFan @Dangerous Maknae)
    MY SCORE: 8/10

Funny how we've eliminated a collective $16M of video budget today with the two songs that have left. "Die Another Day" leaving means that, in what should surprise nobody, "Nothing Fails" succeeds in being the top track from American Life yet again, joining "Vogue" and "God Control" as being the only tracks remaining from their parent albums. Which one will leave first, I wonder?

As we all (should) know, "Die Another Day" was the chosen song for the James Bond film of the same name. Now, James Bond theme songs have a pretty illustrious, varied history across the decades. Shirley Bassey, Tina Turner, Duran Duran, Adele, Carly Simon, Sheryl Crow, and in recent years Sam Smith and even Billie Eilish, who released her Bond theme earlier this year when it still seemed the film was going to make it to theatres at the start of 2020. Garbage were another act to tackle the theme, doing "The World Is Not Enough" for, well, you can guess. Apparently it was after this relatively low-key choice (although the song is a jam if I remember correctly) that film studio MGM wanted a bigger artist to do the theme for the next film. And, well, do you know anyone who makes a bigger splash than Madonna? I don't fucking think so.

Madonna in the midst of the sessions for what would eventually become American Life at the time, and when quizzed on the song after release, she admitted to being a bit of a contrarian who didn't want to do a bog standard Bond theme - orchestral, grand, sweeping, perfect background music for silhouettes of naked hourglass-shaped women diving into martini glasses while Pierce Brosnan smoulders behind them, etc. She literally said, "they're getting techno" and... served them a wee bit of techno on a fucking platter for their nerves, I guess.

Anecdotally, I even remember "Die Another Day" being panned in my general life when it first came out and... I didn't really understand the issue. Anyone commissioning Madonna with an exact remit must know that she's going to buck that remit in any way possible, and in terms of something that was bold and attention-grabbing, I'm not really sure it gets any more fit for purposes than "Die Another Day", which is glitchy, ferocious, dissonant, and... deconstructed. It's like a song that's been frozen in mid-collapse. Parts skip and repeat and crash into other parts inelegantly; Madonna's voice is chopped and screwed beyond recognition at several times, and it's generally pretty emblematic of your usual action movie. The song was actually rewritten when Madonna was brought in for the soundtrack, as it had been lying around in her demos folder in some form as a song all about the death of ego, which explains why it had remained in her vault considering her ego is alive and well. This is why it contains references to Sigmund Freud and lyrically all about casting aside previous wrongdoings, slights, and hedonistic pleasures. This was peak Kabbalahdonna, remember.

Anyway, the strings were actually recorded with a live orchestra, which Mirwais then sliced up and merged with the harsher electronic sounds present. Apparently, despite all her grandstanding, Madonna did originally want something a little more sweeping and grandiose, but Mirwais talked her out of it, citing the fact that she had already done that on a massive, massive hit about someone's heart not being open or something.

"Die Another Day" has had only a few outings in terms of live performances, despite being a pretty decent hit worldwide. I do wonder if eventually winding up on the American Life tracklist bombed its chances of being carted out again. It was performed during Re-Invention where it received a fairly tedious tango treatment, before appearing as an interlude during Sticky & Sweet and finally as the instrumental for the performance of "Beautiful Killer" Madonna did at the Olympia in 2012 with the shaky as fuck camera work, which y'all have already seen. The video is also a low-key camp classic, with Madonna fighting herself, spitting on people, getting strapped to electric chairs, bleeding, and generally causing a biT of a ruckus. It's also one of the most expensive pop videos ever made and pissed off some folks of a religious nature, but I feel like that's just assumed for a Madonna single at this point. And purely for the culture, I have included Madonna's starring role as fencing instructor Verity in Die Another Day. Yeesh. Enjoy!

2. YAS

Syzygyz and Sleepycat like this.
  3. RJF

RJF

Into The Groove

Papa Don't Preach
    Open Your Heart
    Live To Tell
    La Isla Bonita

Like A Prayer
    Express Yourself
    Oh Father

Vogue

Justify My Love

Erotica
    Deeper And Deeper
    Rain

Secret
    Human Nature

Drowned World/Substitute For Love
    Ray Of Light
    Nothing Really Matters
    Sky Fits Heaven
    Frozen
    The Power Of Goodbye

Music
    Don't Tell Me

Nothing Fails

Hung Up
    Get Together
    Sorry

God Control​

4. She's really the most experimental big pop girl to ever do it. Her range? Unmatched.

5. For the criticism of Bedtime Story feeling like dress-up and one of the rare occasions where Madge follows more and let’s a songwriter dictate the vibe, I’ve always kind of felt that way about Die Another Day? I know that’s literally baseless, it’s just never felt super her to me and I’m not even sure why.

It’s still slaps, but I’m happy it has fucked off a bit earlier than in 2015.

6. Great write-up @RJF. I definitely think the producers thought they were going to get the sweeping, orchestral dramatic ballad from Madonna (perhaps produced by William Orbit instead) and, well, they got this instead. But I still love it and it's still very Bondesque but still being Madonna.

7. RJF

RJF

I think I can understand this as, for all her bluster, it does really sound like Madonna doing her best to create subversive Bond theme rather than... just a song. I mean, it's great for that, but I imagine the slightly less than natural genesis can maybe make things a little stilted.

But it's still better than "Sorry", so I'm not sure what is wrong with y'all.

8. Die Another Day - 9.5. This is my favourite song on the album and the last good Bond song in my opinion.
    I love the cinematic backing track and the lyrics about having the sheer determination and will to survive.

It's crazy that 'American Life' had 7 tracks in the Top 42, but now it only has one left.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
    Pop Life and Chezam like this.
  9. Does anyone know/ get the meaning behind the quick shot of the bearded guy laughing in the electric chair, after M escaped?
    And behind the hewbew symols?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
  10. It's disco, fun, has a HUGE sample and immaculate production.
    And probably everybody can relate to it lyrically (well ... because of it's rather simple message).

Just look at that ajay-youtuber going batshit over it in her COADF-review :D

11. RJF

RJF

No

12. Die Another Day sounds like nothing else I’ve ever heard, and certainly not something anyone who has ever been deemed a peer of hers has ever done. It’s...incredible. Every time I listen to it (and it’s one of my most played), I find something new that hooks me. It’s challenging, confrontational and sounds dangerous. She rewrote the brief she was given and delivered tenfold. If that doesn’t make it one of her finest moments I... don’t know what you’re looking for I guess.

13. I wouldn't have let Die Another Day get this far, but I'm not mad at it either.

Maki likes this.
  14. I cannot believe y'all have voted DAD the second best track on American Life. It was her time to go.

Maki likes this.
  15. BTG

BTG

I enjoy Die Another Day much more now than I ever did back then. I vividly remember the mauling it got when it was released, and I'm not sure the GP ever gave it the retrospective praise that the gays have bestowed upon it.

acl likes this.
  16. Everytime a new Bond movie comes out, every single music publication makes the usual ranking of the Bond songs. 90% of those rankings always have Die Another Day and Another Way To Die (never noticed how similar the titles are) at the bottom. They just... hate it. I guess they couldn't conceive the idea of a woman refusing to do the same old ballad.

Thankfully for them, serial risk-avoider Adele came to their rescue.

17. Me when I look at my daddy issues stemming from a poor relationship with my actual father

18. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Sorry can stay until the top 20 thanks.

19. Die Another Day is the snake/apple that lured me into Madonna's garden of Heathen for good. I'm pretty sure there never has been and never will be anything like it on the radio? The cut-up strings, the vocodered vocals that sound almost acid-like, the demented tap dance elements, the random-as-fuck Sigmund Freud bit ... It shouldn't work and definitely shouldn't make for a cohesive song, but it just does. That's genius, y'all.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.