Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE | Page 487 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. RJF

RJF

Hoes coming for my gig left right and centre smdh

2. There's really no place left to hide from your own scores

Chezam and Future Lover like this.
  3. RJF

RJF

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SCORE: 8.936

11 x 1

@dodoriazarbon

2015 PLACEMENT: DOWN 1 - 25 of 210 (8.677)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 42 (@nikkysan @Tigerlily @Vasilios @maverick_79 @tylerc904 @DJHazey @Remyky22 @Cutlery @Suburbia @soratami @relby @Ana Raquel @Andy French @fatyoshi @Up Down Suite @Syzygyz @Fuchsia @Modeblock @Coochi @scottdisick94 @letuinmybackdoor @Robsolete @Sideout @MilesAngel @RetroPhysical @joeee @VeryPSB @DinahLee @Jimmyandroid @Candy Perfume Girl @clowezra @Rogue @wintersleep @KingBruno @Digital Ghost @nametag @Markus1981 @Music Is Life @japanbonustrack @Bangers&Bops @Weslicious @Maki)
    LOWEST SCORE: 6 x 4 (@Andrew.L @Phonetics Boy @paullypaul @unnameable)
    MY SCORE: 9.5/10

Well, your Top 25 is a singles show now, as the last album track exits the rate. "Sky Fits Heaven" drops one place from 2015's rate, but has a fairly strong increase in score as it becomes the penultimate 8/10 track in 2020. Are we surprised that it's out? Are we surprised that it once again is the most popular album track? Are you surprised at all? "Sky Fits Heaven" is probably the most... consistently scored song so far too. Not as many 10/10s as we've seen, but when your lowest score is a 6 out of 165 voters, then you're clearly doing something right.

"Sky Fits Heaven" has a bit of a weird lyrical conception where... Madonna clearly got her inspiration from a GAP commercial. In 1992, GAP run this ad:

Sexy, I'm sure you'll agree. And also maybe a biT familiar. Now, Madonna's no stranger to picking and choosing certain bits of pop culture to absorb into her own mythology and make her own, so she did exactly that. She quietly reached an agreement with the writer of poem, Max Blagg, so his name wasn't anywhere near the credits on the final song, which I find a bit amusing. Madonna's typically not that cagey or withholding when it comes to writing credits as long as her name is somewhere in the mix, so it's a curious thing (especially when Ray Of Light would have bigger credit scandals that were seemingly not cut off at the pass before release) for her to do. Was it just the fact that she hoped no one would remember the 1992 ad? Did she want to disguise the fact that a song all about the sanctity and privacy and freedom of one's personal faith has its creation rooted in a fucking GAP commercial? The fact checkers and haters were out in force even before the Internet sis! They found you out!

That said, it doesn't detract from the song's meaning at all for me, which is basically... we're all on the same road down life, and simply reading different signs to get to the same destination. Madonna explained the track by saying she had studied many religions over the years and found threads that connected all of them, leading her to this realisation that they're all a similar kind of nonsense and no one has dominion over the others, so you might as well just exercise your own autonomy and decide your own scripture to follow, even if it means cherry picking bits from several established scriptures to do it. Low-key Madonna's approach to pop music as well to a degree, but Madonna is a religion herself at this point, so.

The song is... an exquisite banger. I honestly don't have too much else to add to the above other than that. It's easy to see why it has landed at the top of the album tracks. It's immaculately produced, a fine vocal effort from Madonna on an album that is defined by how powerful her voice was post-Evita, and genuinely stirring and emotive as an overall package too. Even taking the religious readings out of it, I think it's always important that people realise that the path they walk needs to be forged by their own hand. Sure, you can crib notes from other sources, but it's your feet that will be taking the steps in the end.

But now, let me pass over to @dodoriazarbon to explain why he awarded this his 11/10, in a story about how sometimes, although some people need to turn off the road a little earlier, you'll always see flashes of them in your rearview mirror. Tuck in, y'all.

"I was on the (worlds longest continuous) escalator in Hong Kong, going from meeting to office, when I saw I had a missed call from one of my closest friends back in London. He never called me. I phoned him back, and he told me that R had died, and wanted to tell me because I’d known him a little. I made sure my friend was ok, that he could talk to me, all the usual, before hanging up and telling my boss that I was fine and we could go back to the office.

I didn’t really know R. But through my friend, we’d interacted online and talked occasionally. Connected the way young queers often do online over shared interests. I’d see pictures of him and my friend in their group together in Oxford and then London and then who knows where else, having what looked like extremely glamorous, extremely creative, extremely queer lives together. They all seemed to know they were queer so much sooner than I did, and embraced it long before I did. R was impossibly handsome, like an artist had painted the likeness of somebody else, but exaggerated choice features for more impact. Where there was colour in his cheeks, there was more than anyone else. Where his hair was blonde, it seemed gold. He took knowing, wry selfies and his social media content was all through this lens. He was surreal, hilarious. I gained insight into ways of expressing queerness (and later, desperation) though making the space I inhabit queer - real or online.

And yet we only spoke every so often, almost in code. Memes. Mutual acknowledgement of same tastes. The Hours. Florence + The Machine. Anohni. Madonna. Bjork.

Every so often I buckle over laughing, and have to go to a video he put on his (still live) Instagram. The spoken intro to Bjork’s Bachelorette video plays; ‘One day I found a big book, buried deep in the ground..’ as R unearths an unauthorised biography of Madonna from the earth. I can’t explain why this tickled me, but it always did.

My friends who knew him in reality attended what looked like a beautiful memorial. The lyrics to Bjork’s Black Lake were printed on the orders of service.

I am a glowing shiny rocket
    Returning home
    As I enter the atmosphere
    I burn off layer by layer

Before that though, I remember walking home from the office in Hong Kong, and my friend telling me that he was listening to Ray of Light because it was R’s favourite album, and that Sky Fits Heaven was making him cry. I remember R miming along to it in one drunken social media post or another.

Isn’t everyone just travelling down their own road watching the signs as they go?

I remember stopping 5 minutes from where I live, looking out from Mount Davis onto the winding roads and jungle below, the sea in the distance. In a place that has had more impact on me than most people back home know. I remember deciding that it doesn’t matter how ‘well’ we know someone, that a chance meeting, interaction/s online, fleeting as they may seem, can be impactful. He’ll never know, my friends who knew him on a deeper level will never know, but in some small but significant way, my development and appreciation of the world around me and my place in it, the way in which I choose to love music, art and creativity - it felt somehow validated by this person. Sometimes how we feel about the world is nebulous until something or someone holds up a mirror in which you can see it all a bit clearer.

Sometimes a song, a text, a piece of art takes on new meaning for you when you consider it’s place in the lives of others.

I think I’ll follow my heart, it’s a very good place to start.

As queer people (and assuming most of the voters will fall into this camp), we exist close to the idea of death. We grew up in the shadow of AIDS. Where we are ‘liberated’, we continue to experience crippling mental health issues or fear of violence and bigotry still. We battle disproportionate levels of addiction. We are disparate individuals with different hopes and dreams, but with ties that bind us. Sometimes these are scary, claustrophobic shackles that feel like weights the community will never shake off. Sometimes these are life-affirming. How many queers before us found each other through shared interest in the same thing? In art, in creation, in dance, in music, in shared hope and a willingness to fight to exist?

Going to a Madonna concert, with the different generations all present, is like being forcibly sat down and faced with a history lesson. They’re all there, all the stereotypes, all shapes and sizes and ages. Those who fought and those who have never felt like they’ve had to. But there are so many who aren’t present now. We all have demons. We all live with pain. Sometimes these can be too much. We live in hope that they aren't. It’s all we can do. Sky fits Heaven so fly it. That’s what a wise man said to me."

"Sky Fits Heaven" was performed during Drowned World, and nowhere else.

4. LTG

LTG

definitely the better of her GAP collabs

5. RJF

RJF

I'm sure some of y'all will be like, "Um, actually, *kisses teeth* "Push" was a cassette single in Macedonia?" but here is your Top 100 alboom tracks. I cut it off there because... well, the back of the leaderboard doesn't really have a lot of singles.

TOP 100 ALBUM TRACKS

1. Sky Fits Heaven - 8.936
    2. Skin - 8.788
    3. Till Death Do Us Part - 8.782
    4. X-Static Process - 8.558
    5. Easy Ride - 8.533
    6. Intervention - 8.521
    7. Impressive Instant - 8.464
    8. Future Lovers - 8.452
    9. Paradise (Not For Me) - 8.358
    10. Forbidden Love - 8.355
    11. Swim - 8.336
    12. Thief Of Hearts - 8.276
    13. To Have And Not To Hold - 8.248
    13. Isaac - 8.248
    15. Gone - 8.23
    16. Mer Girl - 8.148
    17. Devil Pray - 8.085
    18. Waiting - 8.048
    19. Sanctuary - 8.033
    20. I Deserve It - 7.988
    21. Nobody Knows Me - 7.985
    22. Devil Wouldn't Recognize You - 7.952
    23. Promise To Try - 7.945
    24. Rebel Heart - 7.942
    25. Words - 7.93
    26. Mother And Father - 7.903
    27. Let It Will Be - 7.894
    28. Spanish Eyes - 7.888
    29. Time Stood Still - 7.785
    30. Has To Be - 7.727
    31. Joan Of Arc - 7.685
    32. Keep It Together - 7.661
    33. Inside Of Me - 7.636
    34. Like It Or Not - 7.63
    35. Survival - 7.597
    36. Amazing - 7.579
    37. White Heat - 7.567
    38. Secret Garden - 7.555
    39. In This Life - 7.542
    40. Love Spent - 7.521
    41. Runaway Lover - 7.512
    42. Where Life Begins - 7.494
    43. How High - 7.47
    44. Love Tried To Welcome Me - 7.455
    45. Candy Perfume Girl - 7.452
    46. Forbidden Love (1994) - 7.427
    46. Faz Gostoso (Feat. Anitta) - 7.427
    48. Little Star - 7.421
    48. Come Alive - 7.421
    50. Dark Ballet - 7.394
    51. She's Not Me - 7.315
    52. Physical Attraction - 7.309
    52. Why's It So Hard - 7.309
    54. Heartbeat - 7.285
    55. Inside Out - 7.239
    56. Where's The Party - 7.188
    57. Falling Free - 7.179
    58. Crazy - 7.173
    59. Nobody's Perfect - 7.139
    60. I'm So Stupid - 7.127
    61. Push - 7.112
    61. I'm Addicted - 7.112
    63. Masterpiece - 7.091
    64. Body Shop - 7.061
    65. Unapologetic Bitch - 7.058
    65. Extreme Occident - 7.058
    67. Looking For Mercy - 7.042
    68. Goodbye To Innocence - 7.009
    69. Gang Bang - 6.939
    70. Holy Water - 6.915
    71. Gambler - 6.912
    72. Think Of Me - 6.906
    73. Beat Goes On (Feat. Kanye West) - 6.894
    74. Beautiful Killer - 6.884
    75. Hold Tight - 6.873
    76. The Look Of Love - 6.824
    77. Future (Feat. Quavo) - 6.8
    78. Batuka - 6.791
    79. Voices - 6.785
    80. Best Night - 6.755
    81. Veni Vidi Vici (Feat. Nas) - 6.752
    81. Broken (I'm Sorry) - 6.752
    83. Shanti / Ashtangi - 6.73
    84. Addicted - 6.712
    85. Iconic (Feat. Chance The Rapper & Mike Tyson) - 6.702
    85. Ciao Bella - 6.702
    87. I Love New York - 6.652
    88. Messiah - 6.639
    89. Love Song - 6.621
    89. I'd Rather Be Your Lover - 6.621
    91. Supernatural - 6.615
    92. Candy Shop - 6.588
    93. Wash All Over Me - 6.561
    94. HeartBreakCity - 6.558
    95. Bitch I'm Loca (Feat. Maluma) - 6.548
    96. Your Honesty - 6.524
    97. Beautiful Scars - 6.461
    98. Something To Remember - 6.458
    99. Over And Over - 6.433
    100. Stay - 6.367

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  6. Sky Fits Heaven likely would’ve been my 11 if I wasn’t so enamoured with American Life’s ballad suite. And I formed a connection with the song similar to how @dodoriazarbon describes it, far better than I ever could. An amazing song and definitely deserving of retaining its title of Madonna’s best album track.

Music Is Death, Maki, Phloo and 5 others like this.
  7. RJF

RJF

The way that "Secret Garden" cannot catch a break.

8. Secret Garden deserved so much more.

Music Is Death, Push, cheida and 16 others like this.
  9. There are some artists out there that would kill to have a greatest hits as good as that album track Top 20.

10. I’m more offended by Little Star being locked out of the Top 50 by fucking Faz Gostoso...

11. Sky Fits Heaven was possibly my lowest score out of the entire Top 100, I don't get it, I'm happy it's pissed off.

Phonetics Girl likes this.
  12. I’m...still mad about Angel not winning.

13. No...
    "Sky Fits Heaven" is mesmerizing and should've been top 10 out of the remaining songs. That production is insane and should've secured its lowest score to be an 8.

It definitely belongs to my top 5 Madonna album tracks, so it's very pleasing to see it get an accolade for the highest rated one (for the second time).

And with this elimination, I'm down to only seven perfect scores (i.e. six 10's and one 11). They better all stay until the top 15.

MilesAngel likes this.
  14. Give Japan Devil Wouldn't Recognize You and I will be importing this!

Also the beauty of only singles in the top 25 really makes it a nice little playlist. Literally the HITS.

Chezam and djmakemewet like this.
  15. RJF

RJF

Our final 8/10 track finally takes us up over the sixty 10/10s threshold. What will it be?

Music Is Death, Maki, cheida and 12 others like this.
  16. "Justify My Love" or "Rain" (please), but it's more likely to be "Music" or "God Control".

Also, that's the most 10's a song has received so far, right?

17. The way Music is probably perched on the top 20 since everything in the album climbed a gazillion spots.

Maki, Pop Life and Sprockrooster like this.
  18. My guess is going to be God Control.

soratami, sfmartin and MilesAngel like this.

19. I can’t take some of the sass here.

discoteca likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.