Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE | Page 488 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. God Control is now so close to top 20. Hoping it could make it.

cheida, R27 and Chezam like this.
  2. Music Is Death, Maki, Push and 5 others like this.
  3. RJF

RJF

4. 'Sky Fits Heaven' was another instant favourite back when Ray Of Light first came out. The drum 'n' bass elements really lift it.

5. Listening to Sky Fits Heaven with an herbal refreshment is truly transcendent.

6. Words, Where Life Begins and Secret Garden flopping as hard as they did in this rate... I'll never get over it.

7. RJF

RJF

#25 arriving at 5PM BST.

8. The entire write up was outstanding this part in particular literally brought me to tears. I think there's such a unique balance of loneliness and solidarity within the queer community that is nearly impossible to articulate to someone outside of it. Thank you for sharing @dodoriazarbon.

9. Sky Fits Heaven is a true 'I can hear God' moment, unlike the song with God in its title that should've sashayed away weeks ago.

Maki likes this.
  10. It is increasingly difficult to justify God Control still being in the rate. I mean, it's great, but it is not one of Madonna's Top Twenty songs ever. Come on now.

11. RJF

RJF

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SCORE: 8.991

2015 PLACEMENT: UP 26 - 51 of 210 (8.039)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 66 (@nikkysan @Tigerlily @Vasilios @cheida @Raichu @No hay banda @dodoriazarbon @P'NutButter @eatyourself @m_dimitrov @Euphoria @tylerc904 @Doenjang @Suburbia @matthew. @soratami @GimmeWork @Andrew.L @Mjg0806 @relby @elear @Andy French @fatyoshi @Up Down Suite @theelusivechanteuse @1991 @Sail On @Babylon @Dreampopboy @NightmareBoy @BreatheBox @Coochi @Hurricane Drunk @muddleddreams @scottdisick94 @letuinmybackdoor @Robsolete @Sideout @RetroPhysical @Zdarlight @joeee @Xanax @Jimmyandroid @paperboyfriendd @Miss Lange @Crisp X @Mister_G @Pop Life @clowezra @Rogue @wintersleep @evilsin @TheChoirgirlHotel @KingBruno @Remorque @Digital Ghost @Trinu 3.0 @MrMannacroix @Verandi @sexercise @Mr Blonde @happiestgirl @Music Is Life @FrozenNight @Beautiful Child 2 @tommylander)
    LOWEST SCORE: 3 x 1 (@Aester)
    MY SCORE: 9/10

Well, I don't think anyone can say that "Music" hasn't done well. Nearly a full point increase and a jump of twenty-six spots from 2015. Look at that. I must say that I've also warmed a lot more to "Music" in subsequent years too, so maybe everyone else has as well. From being just outside the Top 50 five years ago to breathing down the neck of the Top 25 now. Maybe it'll come for Top 20 next time. I wonder who will be running that rate.

"Frozen", "Music", and "American Life" might just be the weirdest trio of lead singles for a popstar at the height of their power ever, right? I mean, we all know that "American Life" was a bridge too far, but Madonna made the other two into massive, career-defining hits, and nothing really proves her power more at that time than "Music" becoming as huge as it did. Someone said it a long time ago in this thread, or maybe it was the General thread around the time of the anniversary this year, but to this day, "Music" doesn't really sound like anything else... ever. It's so weird; it exists in its own little pocket in time and space, unmoved, immortal, forever gleaming and pristine. Literally just two choruses sandwiching a single verse with a single, repeating refrain that poses a truly philosophical question that keeps me awake at night at times: do I like to boogy woogy? It basically increases the stakes with every pass of each chorus, and considering the chorus essentially repeats ad nauseam, what you've got by the end is a screeching, screaming, bonkers mess. It also sums up what Madonna has done so well throughout her career perfectly: bringing people together, even if it's through a shared hatred of her. Couldn't be me! I feel like I should have given this a 10/10 in retrospect, but oh well.

When I started to do a little bit of research I was surprised to find that "Music" has a fairly simple genesis story. Madonna was at a Sting concert for some fucking reason, and... noticed how audiences at concerts tend to go wild for the hits. That's seriously the inspiration. Madonna noted that the moment Sting started to play the old hits by The Police, the place erupted, to which I say: girl, where have you been during every concert ever, including your own? You really haven't noticed the difference in audience reaction between performing "Vogue" and performing something like "Why's It So Hard"?! Although, Queen hadn't toured for nearly a decade at this point, so maybe she had forgotten. But yes, it is known. The gee pee love hearing the hits. Listen to your new album? Why on earth would they want to hear songs that don't come out of a radio? Anyway, I'm sure as the 21st Century as worn on, Madonna has become more and more aware of the gulf in interest levels between her hits and her album tracks, so I'll just leave it there. She was also eager to do a couple more dance floor fillers after contemplating her navel for all of Ray Of Light. Not to mention the fact she knew she had a tour to prepare for where she would, shortly after noting how much audiences love hits, deprive the setlist of 90% of her classics so she had to refill the tank, so to speak. Contrary queen.

Outside of "Paradise" appearing on Mirwais' album, "Music" was the first taster we had of their time together, and wouldn't you know it leaked on fucking NAPSTER before it was officially released? When I tell you I AGED A DECADE when I read about this. Jesus. We're old, this song is old, everything about this is old. I was more a Limewire gorl myself. Wasn't Napster also low-key shit by 2000 because they tried to go legit and surprisingly no one gave a fuck about paying for a service they had been using for free this entire time? Anyway, Madonna threatened legal action, or her label threatened legal action on behalf of her, and the Little Nappies took it down for her. But even with the supposed damage of piracy, "Music" was yet another addition to her Big Hit Pantheon, going No.1 on both sides of the Atlantic (and, at time of writing, becoming her last No.1 on the Hot 100) and becoming a tour mainstay for the next twenty years to boot. Strange to think about, sometimes. I can't think of anyone else who could take a song like this to the entire world and make them eat it. The power of Madonna.

Now, the video. Directed by Jonas Åkerlund, his and Madonna's concept was to basically be like a mob leader where everything is happening around her rather than a role that had her be an active participant in the action. This was because she was pregnant at the time, but didn't want it to be shown in the video. Which... is fair, considering it allows her to keep up the fantasy of the track. Beloved icon and long-time backing singer Niki Harris and even longer-time friend and actress Debi Mazar make appearances in the video as Madonna's pals. Apparently, they had hired some nobodies to play Madonna's friends in the back of the limo. However, like all good fags, Madonna realised that she needed her good judies to even simulate having a good time, so she called them up out of the blue to come to the set. I also wonder if... Madonna popularised the whole... cowboy hats at a hen party thing? Was it a thing before the Music era and this video? Can any pre-00s somewhat girls confirm? The video is a scream; Madonna always fucks with gender roles so well, and a video that is essentially a wild night on the town where your entourage gets bigger and bigger and no one really knows how it happened feels appropriate for this song.

If y'all thought that Mike Myers as Austin Powers was a hateful blast from the past a few days ago, you'll be pleased to know that Ali G is in this video, because I think Madonna was living in London at the time and apparently had nothing better to do than to watch Channel 4 on Friday nights. I also realise that I completely... forgot about the last minute or so if this video? I remember it being absolutely fucking HAMMERED on every single music channel back in the day; I think I saw it about six times every two hours, but they always cut it at the moment the music gets turned down, whether it was for time or because of the tiddies and clapping ass cheeks in the strip club, I don't know. I think they played the full version after the watershed (along with the full version of Robbie Williams' "Rock DJ" where he rips his skin off that was always censored during the day OMG why are all these memories flooding back to me?!) I just know that I've seen the last bit of the video very little.

Me being reminded of and seeing the word "battyboy" in a piece of media in 2020:

[​IMG]

The song has also been a tour mainstay, appearing on every trot around the globe since release apart from MDNA and Madame X. It was also performed at the EMAs, and at the Grammys. I'll link to them all below. Enjoy!

MTV EMAs 2000
    Grammys 2001

12. matthew.

matthew. Staff Member

'Music' IS the ultimate Barn Burner.

13. Music is that Napster BOP!

14. Sky Fits Heaven - 10. When I was at college our class visited Berlin, and I vividly recall being awake on the coach at 1am listening to this song. As the coach sped down the Autobahn, the only lights being those dimly guiding it along, I stared into the darkness lost in thought. It was at this moment that the song's meaning became utterly clear to me, and it's been one of my favourites ever since.

Music Is Death, Maki, stuaw and 7 others like this.
  15. RJF

RJF

And we hit an average above 9/10 nine songs earlier than we did in 2015.

9+/10

Into The Groove

Papa Don't Preach
    Open Your Heart
    Live To Tell
    La Isla Bonita

Like A Prayer
    Express Yourself

Vogue

Justify My Love

Erotica
    Deeper And Deeper
    Rain

Secret
    Human Nature

Drowned World/Substitute For Love
    Ray Of Light
    Nothing Really Matters
    Frozen
    The Power Of Goodbye

Don't Tell Me

Nothing Fails

Hung Up
    Get Together

God Control​

16. So did Madonna destroy Napster if I understand correctly?

17. God Control a Top 24 HIT

18. matthew.

matthew. Staff Member

I believe Metallica and them suing their own fans was really what destroyed it.

19. Correct. Napster had to shut down in the summer of 2001 due to Metallica's lawsuit. It didn't try to come back and go legit until around 2006 or so?

20. Whew, I've just caught up on the last 10 eliminations just in time to catch this one. So many amazing songs, all deserving, and some beautifully articulated thoughts. @dodoriazarbon, that was such a great write-up for your 11.

Now, fuck a Napster and Limewire, who used KAZAA????

Music Is Death, Maki, Push and 11 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.