Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE | Page 494 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Searching for Madonna GIFs is yielding some... interesting results:

[​IMG]

Womanizer and Andrew.L like this.
  2. What the fuck

3. I wonder if the person who created that gif dislikes Madonna.

It wasn't clear.

Maki and Chezam like this.
  4. Side note: I know Madonna's more bitter, caustic fans turn their noses up at her Instagram, but I really love seeing her posts of David, Mercy, Stella, and of course the absolutely iconic Estere. I love that she's found the kind of family she craved.

5. That gif took me back and not in a good way. 2006 has never felt more ancient.

"Um, well, I'm, uh, well." killed me though. I can hear it in her voice so clearly

6. RJF

RJF

So now what?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SCORE: 9.118

11 x 1

@Euphoria
    @1991

2015 PLACEMENT: UP 3 - 26 of 210 (8.658)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 74 (@nikkysan @Andreas @Tigerlily @cheida @Raichu @dodoriazarbon @eatyourself @HEARTCORE @discoteca @tom71 @Lucy Honeychurch @maverick_79 @tylerc904 @Doenjang @rav4boy @2014 @DJHazey @Cutlery @Suburbia @gezza76 @soratami @Mirwais Ahmadzaï @Andrew.L @Mjg0806 @elear @Ana Raquel @Andy French @fatyoshi @Up Down Suite @godspeed @CasperFan @torontodj @theelusivechanteuse @Joe. @Babylon @Dreampopboy @NightmareBoy @Skyline @BreatheBox @Modeblock @scottdisick94 @letuinmybackdoor @Fortune @RetroPhysical @Zdarlight @citoig @joeee @Xanax @aaronhansome @Bleu Noir @BEST FICTION @Candy Perfume Girl @paperboyfriendd @Miss Lange @Mister_G @Sleepycat @phoenix123 @Pop Life @clowezra @Rogue @wintersleep @Remorque @Digital Ghost @MrMannacroix @LTG @RainOnFire @Ramalama @nametag @Holly Something @Markus1981 @Mr Blonde @Music Is Life @FrozenNight @Push)
    LOWEST SCORE: 5 x 1 (@happiestgirl)
    MY SCORE: 9.5/10

It gets said so much these days that it maybe loses meaning some time, but Madonna is a genuine trailblazer. Not something said for a quick Twitter joke or for hyperbole. She was responsible for change in pop music. The above interview is probably one of her most important; the way she speaks clearly about issues like sexuality, gender, violence in the media, misogyny, censorship, conservatism, and AIDS is genuinely groundbreaking for the time. It sounds like she's been beamed in from the future. And she doesn't surrender an inch. The moment the interviewer tries to misconstrue the "Express Yourself" video, she leaps on him. The moment she as a singular entity is accused of pushing the boundaries of sex, she instantly corrects and admonishes him. And everything she said... well, I'm not wasting one of the five media slots on the video of Nicki Minaj screaming "DID I LIE?????????" but... did she lie?

We should probably get into why she was even being cross examined in the above interview. Originally written by Lenny Kravitz (who you can hear moaning throughout the track) and Prince companion Ingrid Chavez, Madonna literally changed a single line and snatched a writing credit. Queen. It was the lead single to the best selling greatest hits of all time, The Immaculate Collection, sitting nestled at the end after all the hits like a nice, comfortable screw when you get in from a dinner party. And then came the video, where Madonna... basically dismantles all the issues I listed above and puts them in a classy black and white pop video. It's hot. Too hot, even, for MTV at the time, who were still in a position to have a powerful sway over artists because they were such an influential promo tool (LMAO) in getting artists hits. It was apparently too racy for them. However, Madonna does not take having the door slammed shut in her face too kindly. Especially from some piddling bottom feeders at MTV who thought they could call the shots on her artistry. So, she released it on VHS as a first-of-its-kind video single, and... it smashed. Because as much as everyone in America likes to talk about family values and protecting the children, they also kinda want their hair pulled and maybe to bend over and show hole a bit. They ate it up. Madonna even added to the furtiveness of the whole thing by packaging it like this:

[​IMG]

Adult video store teas. When Royal Mail know it's a fucking dildo they've just rang your doorbell to give you teas. Make it obvious, mama. Yas.

The video was banned in several countries across the world, and by 2020 standards, it might be hard to see why, but Madonna raises the point perfectly in the above interview: sex was generally becoming something shameful and to be done behind closed doors and not discussed back in 1990, thanks in part to the AIDS crisis but also due to conservatism in general. And ultimately, Madonna got something that she continues to profoundly get: that sweeping these things under the rug only causes them to become more of an issue. When we can have an open discussion about slightly more taboo topics, we can break stigmas, obliterate misinformation, and make sure everyone indulges safely. And when we enable people to be their fully authentic selves, everything falls into place. Sexuality isn't something to hold over someone's head; it's something for them to hold, and wield. And if Madonna wanted to give us a brief lesson on how to stand and where to put our hands... well, so be it.

A lot about the video, but not a lot about the song! It's a masterclass, of course. "Justify My Love" has always been about intimacy rather than sex to me. It's challenging someone to be absolutely, truly honest with their desires and their dreams and their fantasies, and in doing so it manages to create an intense connection with the listener, like it's us she's challenging to open up. Like, is there anything scarier than anyone asking you your dreams? Her husky delivery, the sparse production, Madonna's own fantasies and confessions feeling like a secret divulged at the height of passion. It's... not sterile, because warmth ripples off it in spades, but it's definitely clinical in how it lays it all out. But then, fantasies being practiced safely during sex is exactly about that. Laying your cards out on the table, each party thoroughly reading the terms and conditions and knowing what they're signing up for, and consenting when everything is laid bare, so to speak. It's only fun if everyone is having it. So I love that the song manages to add that to its tone as well; that sense that a transaction is happening. You give me trust and honesty, and I will give you everything you want. Because I want everything you want, baby.

At least @Euphoria gets it! So much, in fact, that they gave it their 11/10:

"Now, I don’t know if this is Madonna’s absolute best song - but to me, it’s her most genius. If you ask me why I love Madonna, and what it is I love about Madonna, I’ll direct them straight to this song. From the track itself to the video - it speaks for itself. It is brilliant - one of the most brilliant songs in pop music history. And if you don’t get it, that’s on you."

"Justify My Love" is easily one of Madonna's finest, most important single packages. Watch the outstanding video below where Madonna looks like she got her guts scrambled at the start of the video rather than the end, but maybe it was a long night of hustling. It must be said that no one sells heat and intimacy like Madonna does; she creates sparks effortlessly. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that she didn't have her formative sexual years in the spotlight compared to so many of the popstars who would follow in her footsteps. In terms of straight up performances, the song has only had a single outing during The Girlie Show, but has appeared as an interlude after that.

7. Oh this should've been a top 20, even top 10 shoo-in, but you can't argue with that score. We love quality, don't we laid ease?

Justify My Love is some of her best-ever songwriting. The way it's confrontational and intimately reassuring at the same time and sets the stage for the introduction of Dita Parlo two years later...we stan.

8. RJF

RJF

It turns out I might be back earlier than planned this weekend, but I'm still just going to stick with Sunday night for eliminations to be on the safe side. See you then!

REMAINING SONGS

Into The Groove

Papa Don't Preach
    Open Your Heart
    Live To Tell
    La Isla Bonita

Like A Prayer
    Express Yourself

Vogue

Erotica
    Deeper And Deeper
    Rain

Secret
    Human Nature

Drowned World / Substitute For Love
    Ray Of Light
    Nothing Really Matters
    Frozen
    The Power Of Good-Bye

Don't Tell Me

Nothing Fails

Hung Up
    Get Together​

9. There are criticisms that can be made about her Instagram for sure (side-eyes July 28th, 2020) but posting her family isn't one of them. I'm always so confused when fans actually get annoyed by it!

10. This is peak Madonna.

I remember I was a twelve year old gay but nobody else knew it yet. She’d had controversial (by 80s standards) videos before, Open Your Heart, Express Yourself, Vogue but nothing remotely prepared me for seeing this for the first time late at night on “The Word”. Obviously I had my hand on the record button on my VHS so captured the whole thing.

The whole tone of the song sounded... almost menacing? (judging by that interview it seems MTV felt the same) And the visuals were nothing I’d ever seen in a mainstream pop video, even from Madonna who wrote the book on groundbreaking videos.

I’d always liked that she pushed boundaries, especially sexual, as a baby gay but when my parents caught me watching the video back they made me wipe the VHS then and there and I didn’t even put up much of a fight because I almost agreed with them that it was a bit too much for a twelve year old.... I regretted it instantly.

11. 'Justify My Love' has always been the centrepiece of what makes Madonna Madonna to me. An absolute favourite and contender for my 11. It would have been nice to see it make the top 20 and in any other rate I'd have rioted, but not here - not with this materiel.

Oh and I've watched the Nightline interview at least once a year since I first discovered it 10 years ago.

12. I always forget that Justify My Love is basically a cover. Ingrid Chavez must have made a fortune from it, I think she gets a quarter of the royalties. David Sylvian must have been thrilled!

MilesAngel likes this.
  13. God that Girlie Show encore performance is art. Who the FUCK else would do that!? WHO?

Talking about the single package - people should listen to the remixes. Her first collaboration with William Orbit is on there, and The Beast Within is obviously incredible and saw two tour interlude outings.

14. I know it seems tame by today’s standards but it’s remarkable Justify My Love was a Billboard #1 when you look at the US charts at the time, non threatening stuff like Stevie B, Wilson Phillips, Nilsson were hitting the top and then there’s THIS.

15. Justify My Love / Erotica medley is absolutely vital if she ever does a greatest hits tour.

Womanizer, Chezam and cheida like this.
  16. Also, this amazing unreleased mix by Andre Betts himself:

17. I have "poor is the man whose pleasures depend on the permission of another" tattooed on me.

18. I also think Justify My Love is likely her greatest music video performance. And she’s just there being sexy. But that is a star. There’s no other way to put it.

19. Justify My Love is still one of the strangest #1s ever for me. You'd never guess a song like that, with such a loose structure and her basically talking, would be a hit.

Maki, Chezam and relby like this.
  20. Since insiders have been hemorrhaging B-roll for the last two years I need Justify My Love's to leak eventually. I watched all 55 minutes of Take A Bow's B-roll footage last night, and my god. Even in the segments with multiple reshoots of the same scene, she's captivating in every. single. take.

What's fun is that you can also pinpoint the exact moment that the back cover for Bedtime Story's single was taken.

[​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.