Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE | Page 519 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Me too.

Express yourself don’t repress yourself

upload_2020-9-25_14-50-59.gif

2. R27

R27

I’m glad Rain is finally gone. It’s a solid enough ballad, but even after relistening to it last night after reading the elimination I didn’t feel particularly moved and in fact started thinking that my 7.5 might have been too generous. I have to agree with @Maki and say that it’s a bit MOR, especially in the context of its parent album, which is some of her most challenging and interesting work ever. Like the video, the song is very pretty and it sounds pristine, but it doesn’t move me.

K94, Chezam, Maki and 2 others like this.
  3. I have a nagging... hunch that "La Isla Bonita" is leaving next.

4. 2014

2014 Staff Member

GOOD.

Syzygyz, BTG, JMRGBY and 2 others like this.
  5. I adore it, though, it's a multilevel slay. Although, I'm not sure if I love it more than anything else left.
    Come on betches, let's make page 520 manifest!

joeee likes this.
  6. Hmmm

7. What I have left:

6x1
    8x2
    9x2
    10x10
    11x1

That 6 really needs to vacate already, it's actually my only score below 8 in the top 30.

Maki likes this.
  8. RJF

RJF

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SCORE: 9.233

11 x 1

@Vasilios

2015 PLACEMENT: DOWN 1 - 15 of 210 (9.000)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 88 (@nikkysan @Andreas @cheida @Raichu @No hay banda @P'NutButter @eatyourself @HEARTCORE @m_dimitrov @discoteca @Dangerous Maknae @tom71 @Sprockrooster @maverick_79 @tylerc904 @Doenjang @OSHi @DJHazey @Remyky22 @Cutlery @gezza76 @madgemad @soratami @GimmeWork @Andrew.L @Phonetics Boy @Mjg0806 @elear @paullypaul @Ana Raquel @Andy French @fatyoshi @Up Down Suite @CasperFan @torontodj @1991 @Dreampopboy @NightmareBoy @Skyline @BreatheBox @Modeblock @Daniel_O @Coochi @DominoDancing @letuinmybackdoor @Drew @Robsolete @Fortune @MilesAngel @unnameable @RetroPhysical @Zdarlight @joeee @Xanax @TrueBeliever @DinahLee @aaronhansome @Jimmyandroid @JonBcn @Candy Perfume Girl @paperboyfriendd @Miss Lange @Crisp X @Mister_G @phoenix123 @Pop Life @K94 @Filippa @Rogue @wintersleep @evilsin @TheChoirgirlHotel @eliminathan @Remorque @Digital Ghost @Trinu 3.0 @ufint @M24 @nametag @Holly Something @Markus1981 @Mr Blonde @Music Is Life @FrozenNight @Weslicious @Touchofmyhand @Maki @beyoncésweave)
    LOWEST SCORE: 2 x 1 (@JMRGBY)
    MY SCORE: 9/10

In a somewhat eerie turn of fate, "Rain" and "La Isla Bonita" fall together like they did in 2015, just one spot down. You can kind of see what happened here. Despite what is sure to be a (rightful) cause for alarm, that egregious 2/10 from @JMRGBY doesn't actually make a difference in the song's standing, such is the gap between it and the next song. I think what did "La Isla Bonita" in was the lack of 11/10s, which mighT become crucial in the next week...

Famously touted as being offered to Michael Jackson first, it was in fact only the instrumental that he was offered and declined, only for Madonna to sense the potential and snatch it up instead. We been knew who had the better instincts, after all. All the genius you hear is the work of Madonna, Patrick Leonard, and Bruce Gaitsch, and bitch, you will sit your ass down and pay homage. It is one of Madonna's biggest ever hits; hitting No.1 across the world and Top 5 and most other markets. It was also the song that cemented her as the female with the most No.1s ever in the UK as her fourth at the time, which is a record she extended and continues to hold in 2020 with a massive thirteen No.1 singles. I genuinely cannot. Your fave can't even count to thirteen!

"La Isla Bonita" was originally born as a tribute to *checks notes, grimaces, sighs in 1980s, clears throat* ...the beauty and mystery of Latin-American people, in Madonna's own words, which doesn't sound like fetishising at all. Madonna doesn't even know where San Pedro is! Scream!

[​IMG]

That said, Madonna at the time was also quick to pay dues to the fact that so many of her uptempo tracks at the time borrowed a lot from Latin rhythms and instruments, so it made sense to have a song where all of that influence was allowed to crystallise. And I can kind of appreciate the artistic licence in just... conjuring up a sun-limned escapist fantasy all shimmering in golds and oranges, which "La Isla Bonita" does incredibly well. It shares a lot with "Medellín" in that regard where it's incredibly transportive. Madonna has whisked me out of my hum drum life more than most all-inclusive packages in my life, teebs.

There are some days that I think "La Isla Bonita" is Madonna's tightest all-round composition. It's just an absolutely bulletproof pop song. Not a single syllable, note, or breath is spare or weak or out of place. Every single line is catchy and memorable, every single rhyme hits, the sighing backing vocals transcend time and space, and there is generally not a weak spot to be found. Its strongest trait, however, is surely that it has endured. "La Isla Bonita" is probably the first Madonna song I have a legitimate memory of, because even after years since release, it was still a radio staple, and continues to be to this day. It's the epitome of a catalogue hit to the point where it feels almost bigger than her. Does Madonna have bigger, more defining hits? Yes, of course, but there's something about the legacy of "La Isla Bonita" that feels... kind of removed from her? It's the Madonna song that people who don't even like Madonna need to cop to enjoying, because it's just that well written. People will know the words and not even know the song. That's the kind of power it has. It more than earned its spot... but perhaps now is the right time to go.

Let's jump on over to forum legend @Vasilios who is constantly living his island fantasy, so it makes sense that this was his 11/10, "What a song. It was between this, Live To Tell, Into The Groove, Vogue, Frozen, To Have Not To Hold, Paradise (Not For Me), Intervention and Get Together for my 11. I had Live To Tell earmarked for the 11 (as I think it's perfect AND was the most important single in Madonna's career) till I played La Isla Bonita again recently and went, 'this, this is the one!'.

What a song. The story it tells, the bittersweet tone, the vocals. The 12"! The fact it sounded like the hit when I got the True Blue album in 1986 and I waited and waited for a single release, till I got Smash Hits one week and the full page ad for it made the coming months (waiting for the video!! What a video!) so much better. C'mon nostalgia! Still as fresh as it sounded in 1986, the song you still hear on the radioand and the single with the most amazing Confessions Tour remix being my favourite live Madonna moment ever."

Let's jump to that remix now! The video is... a typically 80s hodge podge of cultures mess, but Madonna looks stunning and serves us drama throughout, so it gets a pass from me. It has also probably been Madonna's most performed song on tour, popping up in the most unlikely of places. It was performed on *inhales* Who's That Girl, The Girlie Show, Drowned Word, Confessions, Sticky & Sweet, Rebel Heart, and Madame X. She clearly adores it, or at least enjoys performing it. As always, I have done my best to bring all of the above to you in a cute wee list so you don't have to go hunting like I did. Enjoy!

Sticky & Sweet
    Rebel Heart

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  9. A classic. A moment. A breezy hit. Ahhh that's history!

10. Also (just finished reading) that write up @RJF sis

[​IMG]

11. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Phew! Everything left now is a literal classic.

JMRGBY likes this.
  12. [​IMG]

13. I really considered giving La Isla Bonita my 11. It’s in my top 3 favorite songs ever.

14. Wig in Wembley parking lot 7.

15. I mean, this is true but that's nothing to do with La Isla Bonita to be fair.

16. Rare photo of Madonna's actual visit to San Pedro

[​IMG]

17. RJF

RJF

Also, this came up earlier, but I do think the Confessions mix of "La Isla Bonita" is fantastic. The urgency. The pace. The way mother turns around to shake all two centimetres of body fat on her ass because she was a sinew QUEEN in 2006. I stan.

Music Is Death, Maki, funkyg and 14 others like this.
  18. I love the Mitsubishi commercial where the single covers (and 'You Can Dance') come to life.

[​IMG]

Music Is Death, Maki, K94 and 16 others like this.
  19. THIS. And the dance break! Confessions gold.
    I nearly fainted when people shaded it yesterday. Sacrilege!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.