Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE | Page 523 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. La Isla Bonita was Madonna's only 80's #1 in Germany and France. The power that that has.

And I'm suprised nobody mentioning that the video had a very young Benicio Del Toro as an extra.

[​IMG]

2. I think Ray of Light is off out soon.

3. RJF

RJF

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SCORE: 9.339

11 x 3

@VeryPSB
    @SloMover
    @K94

2015 PLACEMENT: DOWN 6 - 9 of 210 (9.299)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 92 (@RJF @nikkysan @AshtrayHeart @funkyg @Tigerlily @Vasilios @aux @cheida @Jwentz @Raichu @No hay banda @dodoriazarbon @P'NutButter @eatyourself @m_dimitrov @djmakemewet @discoteca @Sprockrooster @Euphoria @maverick_79 @Doenjang @2014 @Future Lover @JMRGBY @Remyky22 @Cutlery @Suburbia @matthew. @soratami @GimmeWork @Endothelium @Mirwais Ahmadzaï @Andrew.L @Mjg0806 @relby @Jonathan27 @elear @Ana Raquel @Andy French @fatyoshi @Up Down Suite @godspeed @torontodj @theelusivechanteuse @1991 @Syzygyz @Dreampopboy @NightmareBoy @BreatheBox @Modeblock @Coochi @DominoDancing @Hurricane Drunk @muddleddreams @scottdisick94 @letuinmybackdoor @Drew @Robsolete @Fortune @Sideout @MilesAngel @RetroPhysical @Zdarlight @joeee @Xanax @Bleu Noir @paperboyfriendd @joe_alouder @Miss Lange @Crisp X @Mister_G @Pop Life @clowezra @Rogue @wintersleep @TheChoirgirlHotel @KingBruno @Remorque @Digital Ghost @MrMannacroix @LTG @RainOnFire @nametag @Markus1981 @sexercise @Mr Blonde @FrozenNight @strangekin @japanbonustrack @Bangers&Bops @Touchofmyhand @Push)
    LOWEST SCORE: 5 x2 (@Jimmyandroid @Filippa)
    MY SCORE: 10/10

Well, this is a bit annoying to be honest. The best Confessions On A Dance Floor track falls out of the Top 10 and into the middle of the next group of ten, despite an increase in its score. It's hard to get too mad considering when you look at the spread of stats above, literally everything left, and everything that has left in the last few days, basically has winner's numbers. But like I keep saying: not here. Not in the Madonna Discography Rate, where we are dealing with a cut above all else.

"Get Together" is weird because it low-key feels a little removed from the persona of Madonna. It's obviously her song through and through, but whenever I play it, I'm struck by the fact that she is simply a vessel for the feeling being portrayed. She becomes an instrument, like the synths and pianos and guitars backing her, and it all ends up being a divine tribute to... having a cute grind against someone in the club and not have it be anything more than that the morning after.

Y'all get what I mean when I talk about Madonna not taking top billing on this one, right? It's like when you're in the club, you're deep into the night, and you have no idea what song this is or who is singing it, but it's amplifying the joy and the momentum and you regardless. In my experience, there are two types of clubbing (that are both fun and valid, before anyone gets on their high horse): there's the kind where you know all the songs that are being played, get drunk, sing along, lose your mind when something you weren't expecting comes on. And then there's the kind where... you're pretty much surrendering to the DJ creating a vibe for you and it doesn't matter if you know the songs or not. And yes, I've heard Madonna songs at both kinds, but "Get Together" feels more like a latter song; like it could be written and recorded by anyone and still give you life on the dance floor while you make eyes with someone. It's probably the track that captures the entire spirit that Confessions was chasing the best. Not the power of Madonna, but the power of the club. The power of music. It's no surprise that it was inspired by one of the best songs to ever encapsulate all that, which I will link below.

But of course, it wasn't recorded by anyone, it was recorded by Madonna, who has spent her entire career espousing the virtues of revelation found on the dance floor, so it makes sense that her most blatantly dance record finds her telling us how good an anonymous bump and grind is. Look, Madonna's seen it all at this point. She's not looking to have your children or marry you or date you. Hell, she barely even wants your company for the whole evening. But she will settle for your hips falling into sync in more ways than one, whether it be on the dance floor or a quick sesh in the dark corner of the smoking area. And then you'll move on with your lives. Love at first sight is an illusion, sure, but moments where everything just clicks and you fall into rhythm with a complete stranger aren't. And sometimes it's okay for them to just be that: moments. It doesn't need to be the beginning of a big love story. It can just be five or ten minutes where you find camaraderie with another person before leaving their lives forever. We've put so much thought into how we miss interacting with those closest to us in the last few months, but the interactions we have with people we don't even know are important too. It's social, and we are social creatures. "Can we get together, I really, really... wanna stand two metres away from you." doesn't really have the same ring to it, does it?

So, a tribute to fleeting moments (and not the moments y'all fleet) and passing dalliances. Let's hope we get to have them again sooner rather than later. You're here for a good time, not a long time, and you certainly don't want forever, but the next five minutes will do just fine. That's the length of a perfect, 10/10, disco banger. Five and a half minutes if its the mixed version. Which this song is. What a coincidence.

"Get Together" was a moderate hit as the third single from Confessions On A Dance Floor, which wasn't helped by the particularly appalling video that basically slaps a bunch of effects over Madonna's promo performance at KOKO in London. She did perform it on television a few times in 2005 though. The first was on Parkinson with what looks like less of a budget than when Madonna was showing for a dollar at Danceteria back in the day, but the best promo performance was on Star Academy in France, which has to be seen to be believed. Sometimes you just need a cheesy, mid-00s studio audience that have been whipped into a frenzy by a producer. Shout out to the moment Madonna grinds against one of the contestants, who acts like she's barely there, before she returns to the stage and throws Stuart Price (at the keyboard) an "can you believe this shit?" eye roll. I also need a GIF of her dancing at the breakdown. But it's a stormer of a performance regardless. The song was also the second track performed on Confessions Tour. It has not been performed since. Sad face. Enjoy!

4. LTG

LTG

Love mum recycling the Star Academy dress for Children in Need

5. Hung Up is not the best song on Confessions.

6. I was not expecting this at all and I am not happy. I wouldn't mind seeing the other low scorers,

7. Get Together was my 11 in the previous Madonna rate and since her discography is so grand I could not resist handing out my 11 elsewhere: God Control. But damn. Seeing it received none now hurts... damn!

Kyliéyoncé and MilesAngel like this.
  8. It's a shame to see Get Together leave now, but...

NINETY

TWO

TENS!!!!

Can you say... legendaric?

9. RJF

RJF

Okay!

VeryPSB 11
    SloMover 11
    K94 11
    RJF 10
    nikkysan 10
    AshtrayHeart 10
    funkyg 10
    Tigerlily 10
    Vasilios 10
    aux 10
    cheida 10
    Jwentz 10
    Raichu 10
    No hay banda 10
    dodoriazarbon 10
    P'NutButter 10
    eatyourself 10
    m_dimitrov 10
    djmakemewet 10
    discoteca 10
    Sprockrooster 10
    Euphoria 10
    maverick_79 10
    Doenjang 10
    2014 10
    Future Lover 10
    JMRGBY 10
    Remyky22 10
    Cutlery 10
    Suburbia 10
    matthew. 10
    soratami 10
    GimmeWork 10
    Endothelium 10
    Mirwais Ahmadzaï 10
    Andrew.L 10
    Mjg0806 10
    relby 10
    Jonathan27 10
    elear 10
    Ana Raquel 10
    Andy French 10
    fatyoshi 10
    Up Down Suite 10
    godspeed 10
    torontodj 10
    theelusivechanteuse 10
    1991 10
    Syzygyz 10
    Dreampopboy 10
    NightmareBoy 10
    BreatheBox 10
    Modeblock 10
    Coochi 10
    DominoDancing 10
    Hurricane Drunk 10
    muddleddreams 10
    scottdisick94 10
    letuinmybackdoor 10
    Drew 10
    Robsolete 10
    Fortune 10
    Sideout 10
    MilesAngel 10
    RetroPhysical 10
    Zdarlight 10
    joeee 10
    Xanax 10
    Bleu Noir 10
    paperboyfriendd 10
    joe_alouder 10
    Miss Lange 10
    Crisp X 10
    Mister_G 10
    Pop Life 10
    clowezra 10
    Rogue 10
    wintersleep 10
    TheChoirgirlHotel 10
    KingBruno 10
    Remorque 10
    Digital Ghost 10
    MrMannacroix 10
    LTG 10
    RainOnFire 10
    nametag 10
    Markus1981 10
    sexercise 10
    Mr Blonde 10
    FrozenNight 10
    strangekin 10
    japanbonustrack 10
    Bangers&Bops 10
    Touchofmyhand 10
    Push 10
    sfmartin 9.5
    Angeleyes 9.5
    DJHazey 9.5
    AllGagaLike 9.5
    citoig 9.5
    Candy Perfume Girl 9.5
    phoenix123 9.5
    acl 9.5
    Ramalama 9.5
    Holly Something 9.5
    tommylander 9.5
    beyoncésweave 9.5
    HEARTCORE 9
    Lucy Honeychurch 9
    rav4boy 9
    madgemad 9
    Babylon 9
    FridayNight 9
    R27 9
    DinahLee 9
    aaronhansome 9
    BEST FICTION 9
    Epic Chocolat 9
    Sleepycat 9
    ABoy’sGot2Suffer4Fashion 9
    evilsin 9
    Trinu 3.0 9
    Mikl C 9
    Verandi 9
    Weslicious 9
    Beautiful Child 2 9
    Butterfly 8.5
    nanafan 8.5
    Babyface 8.5
    WoW73 8.5
    Sail On 8.5
    Skyline 8.5
    TrueBeliever 8.5
    JonBcn 8.5
    Michael17 8.5
    eliminathan 8.5
    Music Is Life 8.5
    fancygreen 8.5
    Andreas 8
    Dangerous Maknae 8
    tom71 8
    rdp 8
    OSHi 8
    dylanaber 8
    Joe. 8
    Aester 8
    Fuchsia 8
    Daniel_O 8
    BTG 8
    Lila 8
    ufint 8
    M24 8
    happiestgirl 8
    tylerc904 7.5
    paullypaul 7.5
    Mvnl 7.5
    Chezam 7.5
    Phonetics Boy 7
    CasperFan 7
    unnameable 7
    Maki 7
    gezza76 6.5
    dancingwithmyself 6.5
    Jimmyandroid 5
    Filippa 5​

10. K94

K94

Oh ok

[​IMG]

One of my favourite songs ever born from one of my favourite songs ever (though I do think it also takes its cues from One More Time). Lyrically, these kind of songs usually fall into hyper-romanticised, idealistic tropes, but Get Together somehow manages to combine euphoria with a sense of grounded maturity, that only someone who has been through every damn thing could come up with - it is thee perfect dance pop song. Should have been top 3 at least but the cig shenanigans strike again.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  11. Actually quite pleased to see Get Together slip out of the Top 10.

Music Is Death, Maki, Chezam and 3 others like this.
  12. Other than 'All The Lovers' I can't think of another song that perfectly captures an orgasm in musical form than 'Get Together'.

You know what part I mean.

achilles, Raichu, Womanizer and 2 others like this.
  13. RJF

RJF

"Nothing Fails" and "Get Together" falling now means that we're guaranteed at least two new entries in our Top 10. What do you think they will be?

14. Get Together is better than Hung Up but unfortunately this forum is still not ready for that conversation.

I gave both a 10 so the clown is me as usual

15. RJF

RJF

Any of y'all who gave out ninety 10/10s now starting to regret it when - shock horror - it turns out you do have a preference now that we're coming down to the wire?

16. Get Together is one of the greatest club songs about clubbing, and what it really feels like to make a connection on the dance floor. Do you believe I can make you feel better? Do you believe that we can change the future? Every night at the club is pregnant with possibility, but it can also be as fleeting as mere seconds. It’s all an illusion, but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t surrender to it. It’s so fucking astute.

17. Makes sense. Both La Isla and Get Together are great, of course, but they're both a bit easy-breezy in their approach and sound. M's very, very best tend to be more emphatic. They go in HARD.

Chezam likes this.
  18. [​IMG]

19. I wish the talent or a way with words to really articulate how much I love Get Together but anything I could type out would just be a disservice to the song. So to keep it simple, I'm just gonna say that it's honestly one of my favourite songs of all time.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  20. 2014

2014 Staff Member

I definitely would have predicted this go top 10 so I’m a bit shocked. I feel like Hung Up could miss it too now??

Chezam likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.