Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE | Page 54 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. The top 10 will probably be:

Holiday
    Open Your Heart
    Like a Prayer
    Vogue
    Deeper and Deeper
    Frozen
    Ray of Light
    Hung Up
    Get Together

The last song is probably up in the air depending on how many people vote in the rate; the locals won't like that Erotica isn't a bop, Drowned World/Substitute for Love will be too boring compared to Frozen for the locals, Sorry isn't a 10, Express Yourself has too much funk, everything from American Life is too divisive, and Don't Tell Me might be too """""country""""" for the locals.

2. Submitted my scores and I’ve found that I definitely have a new love for Erotica and Madame X. Also forgotten how much I liked Fighting Spirit and Time Stood Still.

sfmartin and Dangerous Maknae like this.
  3. Time Stood Still is probably my favourite discovery of the whole rate, along with Bedtime Story and Where's The Party.

Maki, Music Is Death, Lila and 6 others like this.
  4. rdp

rdp

Yes @ the Time Stood Still praise. It's weird because I have no recollection of hearing it before this rate, but I'm pretty sure I did the 00's rate last time around and I usually love most of her ballads. It's that old school Madonna melancholy that I love.

Lila, Phonetics Girl and sfmartin like this.
  5. Holiday is not that girl teebs

Maki, Music Is Death, Lila and 10 others like this.
  6. I hope Deeper and Deeper, Drowned World and Nothing Fails can sneak into the Top 10. But I think they’ll have to settle for Top 20.

Maki, Music Is Death, Lila and 5 others like this.
  7. Oh so I'm gonna have to go full Carrie on some of you hoes aren't I

8. My favourite discovery was this:

And my album averages...

American Life (2003) - 8.82
    Like A Prayer (1989) - 8.77
    Music (2000) - 8.25
    True Blue (1986) - 8.17

Confessions On A Dance Floor (2005) - 7.68
    Ray Of Light (1998) - 7.29
    Madame X (2019) - 7.19
    Madonna (1983) - 7.19
    Erotica (1992) - 7.08

Hard Candy (2008) - 6.77
    Like A Virgin (1984) - 6.22

Rebel Heart (2015) - 5.21

Bedtime Stories (1994) - 4.74
    MDNA (2012) - 4.41

I’m Breathless (1990) - 3.32

9. I'd be very surprised if Holiday makes top 10 (but maybe it's because I don't think THAT highly of it.

10. I hope Hollywood is going to make the top 40. I know it’s an underrated and forgotten song but it’s SO good. I will not accept a position at 78.

Maki, Music Is Death, Aester and 7 others like this.
  11. [​IMG]

Maki, Music Is Death, Lila and 14 others like this.
  12. The verses in Hollywood were nice, but the chorus was too nothing-y. Nothing Fails (with a killer video shot in Israel like She wanted) so should've been the second single.

13. I'm hypothesizing it's a case of "Where are the dance bops?" because Bedtime Stories is nothing if not consistently solid. Even Rather Be Your Lover isn't bad per se, it's just kinda inconsequential.

14. RJF

RJF

We reach our halfway mark this weekend. A nice trickle of ballots over the last few days! Tomorrow I'll be posting a bit of leaderboard tea, along with beginning the tagging storm. You have been warned.

Expect another In Defence Of this weekend also.

15. I was 13 the day Ray of Light was released. I honestly don't think I would have become brave without it.

[​IMG]

The experience that actually made me gay, tho was watching the Immaculate Collection on LaserDisc at 6 years old.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2020
    evilsin likes this.
  16. It’s not about that at all, I mean I gave One More Chance an 8.5!

17. Then it’s that you have bad taste, ok. There’s room for all sorts here.

Anyway!

I don’t see Holiday making Top 10 but maybe I’m delusional. It’s her ultimate basic bop and IS irresistible and timeless but compared her other songs it doesn’t QUITE reveal as much about her or her manifesto.

18. I agree. If we were polling the GP, definitely, but on PopJustice? I'm not so sure.

19. Holiday didn't even get Top 10 in the 80s rate; I don't think that will change for this one.

20. Holiday I see going Top 30 but not much further than that. I mean I love it, but a lot of debut/Like A Virgin songs are likely to be tanked a bit by people who think her early stuff is too saccharine. True Blue was when she began to show a bit of an edge and maturity to her.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.