Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE | Page 551 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. She hates wire coat hangers.

2. I’m kidding obviously - I think that Ms Crawford is a shining example of somebody who didn’t remain a slave to a single ageist profession, who branched out and created more power in various industries (and who constantly bounced back from “career ending moves”).

She’s an icon for a reason (much like M)

3. Lila

Lila Staff Member

I think it’s a combination of all three, plus a shared resentment at never getting the same recognition as some of her contemporaries. M is a ‘pop star’ in the same way Joan was a ‘movie star’, both victims of an industry dichotomy that pits women against one another and strips them of their artistry.

4. Lila

Lila Staff Member

Let’s not.

kermit_the_frog likes this.
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  6. RJF

RJF

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SCORE: 9.43

11 x 5

@AshtrayHeart
    @rav4boy
    @matthew.
    @Sideout
    @happiestgirl

2015 PLACEMENT: DOWN 3 - 6 of 210 (9.378)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 89 (@RJF @nikkysan @Andreas @Tigerlily @Vasilios @aux @cheida @Raichu @No hay banda @dodoriazarbon @P'NutButter @eatyourself @HEARTCORE @nanafan @djmakemewet @discoteca @Lucy Honeychurch @tylerc904 @Doenjang @sfmartin @2014 @Remyky22 @GimmeWork @Mirwais Ahmadzaï @Babyface @Andrew.L @Phonetics Boy @Mjg0806 @relby @Jonathan27 @elear @Andy French @Up Down Suite @CasperFan @torontodj @1991 @Sail On @Joe. @Syzygyz @Dreampopboy @Fuchsia @NightmareBoy @BreatheBox @FridayNight @Modeblock @Daniel_O @Coochi @Hurricane Drunk @muddleddreams @scottdisick94 @letuinmybackdoor @Drew @Robsolete @Fortune @MilesAngel @unnameable @RetroPhysical @joeee @VeryPSB @DinahLee @Bleu Noir @Candy Perfume Girl @Miss Lange @Epic Chocolat @Mister_G @Sleepycat @phoenix123 @Lila @Pop Life @clowezra @ABoy’sGot2Suffer4Fashion @wintersleep @TheChoirgirlHotel @Remorque @Digital Ghost @Trinu 3.0 @MrMannacroix @acl @LTG @Ramalama @nametag @sexercise @Mr Blonde @Music Is Death @japanbonustrack @Bangers&Bops @Weslicious @Touchofmyhand @Push)
    LOWEST SCORE: 5 x 1 (@Butterfly... honey, you got a big storm comin'!)
    MY SCORE: 10/10

Reasons Not To Kill Myself In 2020:

- Unsure if "Open Your Heart" is available in Hell's gaybourhood
    - End of list

One is such a lonely number that "Open Your Heart" couldn't even leave the rate alone, tying with "The Power Of Good-Bye". After going so long being completely untouched, it feels like we've lost True Blue in a relatively short amount of time, with its final four songs exiting in a seven song stretch. Still, nearly half of the album making it to a Top 20 of 227 songs is an achievement. "Open Your Heart" drops slightly from its 2015 peak, but improves on its score while maintaining its title as the best track from its parent album. As well it fucking should. First question: does it get any better than this? The answer is no. End of questions.

"Open Your Heart is the Perfect Madonna Song. The way it propels out of the gate, Madonna even warning you "Watch out!" as the song begins. The combination of confidence and pleading an unknown subject (who might as well be the audience, "I'll make you love me" has been one of Madonna's M.O.'s since day 1. The track is unrelenting, the production still holds up over 30 years and is a beast when (rarely) performed live. Complimented perfectly with the controversial music video cast as the stripper with a heart of gold, this is Madonna's crown jewel, it combines everything that makes Madonna Madonna. And no, this song would not have been the same if Cyndi had gotten it like originally planned." - @matthew.

Similar to what I said when I eliminated "Holiday", I don't think I have ever ended a listen to "Open Your Heart" without feeling at least a little bit cheered. I go through phases where I just wallow a bit; I'm sure we all do. Periods where it's just sad music only please. Thankfully, I'm actually pretty good at pulling myself out of it, and listening to "Open Your Heart" is normally the first step. How could it not? It just floods my brain with serotonin within the first five seconds of it playing. 80s Madonna is probably the finest pop vocalist to ever live, and she's on top form here. How does one's singing voice manage to convey joy, playfulness, empathy, ambition, sex, and longing all at the same time? Empathy is the most important one out of that list for me, because I always think it's the warmth of "Open Your Heart" that makes it gold standard for me. Yes, there's of course a bit of sexual innuendo at play (look who it is; when isn't there?) but my interpretation of "Open Your Heart" has always been that she's besotted with someone who can't see their own brilliance, and is dogged in her determination to make sure they see what she sees. Like, how does a line like, "Don't try to run; I can keep up with you." sound comforting rather than terrifying? QUEEN.

"This song does NOT get old and fills me with excited the moment it begins. If asked what is my favourite Madonna song, the answer will be “Open Your Heart”. - @AshtrayHeart

"Open Your Heart" was actually how the iconic Donna De Lory fell into our laps! Gardner Cole, one of the original writers of the song, had shopped around the demo, "Follow Your Heart" for a bit, even knocking on Cyndi Lauper's door. Freddy DeMann, Madonna's manager at the time, heard the original demo and asked for a version done from a female perspective to be submitted. Enter Gardner Cole's at-the-time girlfriend, Donna, who managed to sell it M instantly and bag a lasting gig as her backing singer for years to come. In Madonna and Patrick Leonard's hands, it became the behemoth we know it as now. Madonna overhauled the lyrics, they both added that fucking baseline, and perfection was born. It is, without hyperbole, one of the best pop songs of all time. Pure musical alchemy. To listen to it is an honour. Top 5 material to be perfectly honest.

"I usually choose my 11s based on personal connection or association with a certain memory or something like that. Not this time. Open Your Heart is simply, objectively, unequivocally the greatest pop song of all time. It is everything a pop song should be. There will never be anything like it. That’s all I have to say." - @happiestgirl

Nothing really sums up just how much 80s nonsense the video for "Open Your Heart" is better than the brief blurb about it on the Wiki:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

However, mother serves us iconic chairography and looks fierce while doing it, along with escaping from her exotic dancer hell. Down with the patriarchy! The song was performed on Who's That Girl, Blond Ambition, and then was rested for over twenty years before reappearing on the MDNA Tour. It's wild just how sparsely a lot of the True Blue singles were performed over the years outside of "La Isla Bonita", although given the inspiration for a lot of songs on the album, maybe the subject was a bit difficult to revisit in subsequent years. I have also included the ten minute extended version that appeared on the single back in the day, because it is as close to perfection as we can attain in this miserable life. Enjoy!

True Blue OUT.

12" Maxi Extended Version

7. BTG

BTG

8. matthew.

matthew. Staff Member

9. I feel the boy is the 'Open your heart' subject though. He's saying 'leave this life of vice and sadness and have a carefree fun life with me', open your heart to the possibility of a better life.

10. ARE YOU JOKING MY LEG RIGHT NOW

11. RJF

RJF

Didn't the boy sneak in just to see her tits though?

12. Also the extended version of Open Your Heart is just...impeccable. An absolute masterclass in the 12-inch (hehe)

13. Open Your Heart should have been top 5. It's electrifying. It sounds just as good and packs the same punch today as it ever has. The melodies are air tight. The vocals are commanding. Just perfect.

14. Open Your Heart was originally meant for Cyndi Lauper? That explains a lot.

15. a) Cyndi Lauper has been part of some incredible songs
    b) Any and all Open Your Heart slander now officially counts as a hate crime against all factions of the LGBTQ+ community.

16. I knew it was going to be a bad day.

Open Your Heart is in my Top 5 and should be in this Top 5.

Phonetics Girl and sfmartin like this.
  17. Should have made it further but at least Into The Groove has rightfully been proclaimed her greatest 80s bubblegum pop song.

18. So not only has @Butterfly disparaged Like A Prayer on multiple occasions but giving a perfect pop song like Open Your Heart a fucking five?!

19. Imagine scoring Hung Up higher than Live to Tell, The Power of Goodbye, and Open Your fucking Heart. Couldn't be me. I mean, it's a massive bop—I gave it a 9—but there's, like, nothing underneath it. These other songs, well, they speak for themselves.

20. Open Your Heart is in my Madonna top five, along with 25 other songs.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.