Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE | Page 565 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. RJF

RJF

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SCORE: 9.548

11 x 9

@sfmartin
    @Remyky22
    @Endothelium
    @Syzygyz
    @Coochi
    @scottdisick94
    @Zdarlight
    @Michael17
    @KingBruno

2015 PLACEMENT: UP 8 - 14 of 210 (9.006)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 98 (@nikkysan @AshtrayHeart @Andreas @aux @cheida @Butterfly @Raichu @No hay banda @dodoriazarbon @eatyourself @HEARTCORE @m_dimitrov @discoteca @tom71 @Lucy Honeychurch @Sprockrooster @rdp @maverick_79 @Doenjang @rav4boy @2014 @JMRGBY @Cutlery @Suburbia @matthew. @soratami @GimmeWork @Babyface @dylanaber @Mjg0806 @elear @Ana Raquel @Andy French @fatyoshi @Up Down Suite @godspeed @torontodj @theelusivechanteuse @1991 @Sail On @Babylon @Dreampopboy @Fuchsia @NightmareBoy @Skyline @BreatheBox @FridayNight @Hurricane Drunk @muddleddreams @letuinmybackdoor @Robsolete @Fortune @R27 @Sideout @MilesAngel @unnameable @citoig @joeee @Xanax @DinahLee @aaronhansome @Jimmyandroid @paperboyfriendd @Miss Lange @BTG @Crisp X @Mister_G @phoenix123 @Lila @Pop Life @K94 @clowezra @Filippa @Rogue @evilsin @TheChoirgirlHotel @Remorque @Digital Ghost @Trinu 3.0 @acl @LTG @ufint @Mikl C @Verandi @RainOnFire @Ramalama @nametag @sexercise @Mr Blonde @happiestgirl @Music Is Death @FrozenNight @japanbonustrack @Bangers&Bops @Beautiful Child 2 @Touchofmyhand @Push @beyoncésweave)
    LOWEST SCORE: 4.5 x 1 (@Aester)
    MY SCORE: 9.5/10

The past rushes forward to meet us here. We end up with the exact same Top 5 as we did in 2015. Are y'all gagged? Annoyed? None of the above? "Ray Of Light" exiting also means that it's a one horse race for every album now. But then entering this Top 10, Ray Of Light had the most

"Ray Of Light" might just be the biggest success story of the rate. Climbing nearly ten spots in a bracket as insanely competitive as the Top 15 is no mean feat, as y'all have seen from how the scores and points and everything else are breaking down. It positively soars from its original #14 placing to finish with over half of a point of an increase in score and breathing down the neck of the Top 5 to boot. Phew! She may have sank beneath the sun, but I her tears seem to be of elation rather than mourning.

The origins of "Ray Of Light" are... a biT strange, but to be honest a lot of the demos and everything else in the early stages for the whole album is weird as fuck in terms of influences. The entire thing is actually based on a folk song called "Sepheryn", originally written and recorded by folk duo Curtiss Maldoon in the 70s. When Guy Oseary originally reached out to William Orbit to work with Madonna, a reworked version of the track with vocals from Maldoon's niece was sent to her as a taster of what he could do. Madonna loved the track, and it would form the basis of what she would eventually rewrite as the track we know now. Apparently the original writer of the track didn't even know that Madonna had worked her ways on his song... until he heard "Ray Of Light" on the radio and had his wig blown off. He was originally a tad flummoxed by the whole thing until Queen shut his mouth with a 15% cut of royalties from an actual hit. How fast money seems to quell artistic outrage. Who needs principles when you finally afford to eat?

What. A. Fucking. Rush. When I think of "Ray Of Light", I always think of @push the button making the fairly great point that, outside of Erotica, the large bulk of Madonna's singles in the 90s were ballads outside of a few from Bedtime Stories. You had "This Used To Be My Playground", Something To Remember, Evita, and, even in all its majesty, "Frozen" preceding this. And when you think of how much of Madonna's kingdom was built on how she seemed to effortlessly produce blinding dance-pop brilliance for the first decade of her career, the fans were parched, girls. Enter this nu-age BANGER to come and save the gays. The drought was over. From the moment that guitar gives way to those JUMPING TO WARP SPEED!!! synths, you're basically just holding on for dear life all the way. I'll admit that it's always a track that I... kind of forget about in the grand scheme of things, but it always comes rushing back on every play. It's just exhilarating; like that first bump on a night out. Pupils dilated, shift into turbo, see through the space-time continuum madness. It also contains what must be Madonna's most ambitious vocal on record. For the first and last time in this rate: those belts and runs, mama. I think it's been a song that has... never really been possible to replicate exactly live since, but we'll always have this. This eternally cool burst of heat and light. The last minute or so is just euphoric insanity. Bottle it, sell it, cure my depression.

The first of our 11/10 commentators is @Endothelium, who actually recounts a lockdown tale that is pretty familiar...

"By the time I reached the late 90s portion of the rate, I hadn't set foot outside my apartment in nearly two months due to the covid-19 lockdown, and even after spending much of my time discovering and rediscovering almost 40 years worth of music in the span of 6 weeks, "Ray of Light" just had to be my 11. This song made me feel free and forget about being trapped indoors in a country I barely know. It's pure catharsis bottled in five and a half minutes of brilliance. I'm sure someone more articulate than me will be able to comment on why it's musically great, so I'll just say I love the way the production starts the song off with an upbeat, yet calming guitar riff and then it turns into a frenzy that keeps building and building until THAT vocal moment towards the end.

I eventually got to go outside, feel the sun and breeze on my skin, and "Ray of Light" was the only acceptable soundtrack to those first moments of relative freedom. This song is an embarrassment of riches in the best discography in the history of pop music, a testament to the power Madonna has to make you feel whatever she wants you to feel with her music, and it absolutely deserves to go top 10 in this rate."

nn I low-key had a moment to "Ray Of Light" too. Just when I was feeling a bit mad at everything over the last few months and it came on during shuffle and I just... danced it out a bit? Probably looked stupid as hell doing it, but no one else was there and no one else had been there for ages, so it was oddly freeing to just have a moment of unrestricted pleasure.

Next up is @scottdisick94, who simply states:

"The best song of all time. It makes me feel in wonderment of the world."

And finally, we have @Coochi, who feels all the wonderment and everything else. Work, sis!

"To be honest, this wasn't definitely going to be my 11- it could have gone to about four other songs, all of which I absolutely adore too and which all hold incredibly special, albeit quite different, places in my heart (Hung Up, Vogue, Like a Prayer and Crazy For You). But there is just something even more special about Ray of Light.

The lyrics are more mystical and mysterious than many of her lyrics, while still being incredibly uplifting. Because the lyrics are a bit more opaque than many of her songs, it can apply to so many situations. At various points in my life, "home" has felt like:​
    • the dancefloor​
    • my relationship with my partner​
    • my new home with my partner​
    • my parents' home where I grew up and which I still love going home to​
    • a positive state of mind, looking at the world in a great way​
    • the realisation of my mortality and the briefness of life​
    The production is out of this world. It's upbeat and dance-y, which I think is what Madonna does best. But it doesn't sound like any other upbeat, dance-y song I've ever heard. It's actually kind of weird isn't it?! Entirely unique.

Her voice sounds amazing.

It has some of my favourite ever Madonna moments:​
    • that opening line (which I still find myself singing ALL the time)​
    • the "Quicker than a ray of light/ Quicker than a ray of light/ Quicker than a ray of L-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-GHT" bit at about 2.30,​
    • the "Quicker than a ray of light/ Then gone for/ Someone else will be there/ Through the endless yeeeaaaaaarrrooooohhhss"​
    I never, ever listen to this song and don't feel a reaction. There's a quote in the GHV2 booklet: "Music- it's primal and it's visceral... It's about coming to life", and I think this song is the absolute epitome of that quote."

Oh, she's positive.

"Ray Of Light" received a video directed by Jonas Åkerlund which... is basically a load of sped up clips of people going about their lives in a city while Madonna lip-syncs in double time. I think this kind of thing still felt revolutionary in the 90s? I also remember this being on music channels all the fucking time. Maybe more than any other Madonna song during my childhood. A hit! It definitely nails the vibe of the song at least. "Ray Of Light", for all the issues Madonna has had performing it, has also been trotted out a lot. Drowned World, Confessions, and Sticky & Sweet, along with a massive load of promotional performances like Live 8, the VMAs, and of course, the legendary Oprah performance. I can't find the Confessions performance anywhere, but it was basically the same as the Sticky & Sweet performance because that tour was a weird mix of too many new things thrown into new songs and too many recycled things at the same time. I've also included the original "Sepheryn" song if you're interested. Enjoy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1998 VMAs feat. Lenny Kravitz
    Curtiss Maldoon - Sepheryn

evilsin, godspeed, dirtypony and 76 others like this.
  2. I think about this all the time. I can’t believe she didn’t want to be predictable and thought that Greatest Hits Volume 2 was less obvious.

Music Is Death, Push, R27 and 5 others like this.
  3. RJF

RJF

Into The Groove

Like A Prayer

Vogue

Frozen

Hung Up

evilsin, dirtypony, Maki and 43 others like this.
  4. We eventually got it in basically all the remixes, but I wish her cackle at the end of that note in Ray Of Light was left in the album version. It's so joyous and a perfect ending to the adrenaline rush.

Also worth mentioning: her operatic mome at the end of William Orbit's Liquid Mix. Madame X is a soprano.

5. 1. Like a Prayer
    2. Frozen
    3. Vogue
    4. Into the Groove
    5. Hung Up

pls and ty

6. What I expect:

5. Into The Groove
    4. Hung Up
    3. Vogue
    2. Like A Prayer
    1. Frozen

What I want:

5. Vogue
    4. Into The Groove
    3. Like A Prayer
    2. Hung Up
    1. Frozen

Though I'm happy with Like A Prayer or Hung Up winning as well.

7. RJF

RJF

Five songs left, five days left. And really, we knew it would come down to these from the start, didn't we? But will there be changes from the last time?

Maki, Music Is Death, funkyg and 9 others like this.
  8. Out of the five songs left Hung Up is the most out of its depth. Get it out before the top three (and well before Into The Groove) and I'm happy.

9. [​IMG]

10. So proud of my 11 getting to number 6. Her home was always the top 10 after the previous rate's egregious oversight.

It was between Ray Of Light and Frozen for my 11. I chose Ray Of Light because it offers SO much. It's a huge, euphoric bop which always gets my vote but she has also never sounded better. The opening guitar is iconic and perfectly mirrors the sound of the sun rising. You are then instantly rocketed into this psychedelic electronic soundscape. The vocals are extraordinary, breathtaking. Bracing shouty moments, quite tender moments, literal screams. There are moments when I can't tell if it is instrumentation or her operatic vocals. A cornucopia of excellence. This song has accompanied me most of my life and seen me through most of life's challenges.

[​IMG]

11. Imagine listening to this, and thinking "Ah yes, this is perfect for a Madonna song? I mean, they turned out to be right, but still, like ??

Maki and Syzygyz like this.
  12. Her look in the video is so good and a big part of why I think of Ray Of Light the album as a summery record. She said beachy rights

Maki, Music Is Death, Jwentz and 6 others like this.
  13. What I'd want:

5. Into The Groove
    4. Like A Prayer
    3. Vogue
    2. Hung Up
    1. Frozen

What will probably happen:

5. Hung Up because I sense some senseless sabotage
    4. Into The Groove
    3. Frozen because it's a ballad
    2. Vogue
    1. Like A Prayer

Maki, Trinu 3.0 and Future Lover like this.
  14. That’s not what her accountant said!

15. Are any of the songs in the top 5 not already rate winners?

Maki and Phonetics Girl like this.
  16. The way that Vogue, Frozen, and Like A Prayer's inclusion in the top five has basically been set in stone from the jump. That's talent.

17. Yeah, if there was any common sense, either "Into the Groove" or "Ray of Light" was going to miss out on top 5. No surprises here.

Despite not being among my favourite songs from that album, "Ray of Light" is a journey, but "Sky Fits Heaven" is a journey and should've been at #6 instead.
    But I can see why a song which gave us an iconic performance/gif made it this far. Even exceeded my expectations, actually, as I thought it would leave about 4-5 eliminations ago.

18. Why did @RJF ignore my very detailed and insightful commentary for Ray Of Light?

MilesAngel and sfmartin like this.
  19. BTG

BTG

Should’ve been Into The Groove or Hung Up.

Sleepycat likes this.
  20. Mine too. But I just posted it anyway.

MilesAngel likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.