Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE | Page 569 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. This is a mess. You’re in the Madonna rate, luv, dance floor bangers are psalms here.

2. A moment most pleasing to me

3. RJF

RJF

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SCORE: 9.639

11 x 10

@Babyface
    @Jonathan27
    @paullypaul
    @WoW73
    @torontodj
    @letuinmybackdoor
    @MilesAngel
    @unnameable
    @Bleu Noir
    @Beautiful Child 2

2015 PLACEMENT: DOWN 1 - 4 of 210 (9.534)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 107!!! (@RJF @nikkysan @AshtrayHeart @Andreas @Tigerlily @Vasilios @cheida @Jwentz @Raichu @dodoriazarbon @P'NutButter @eatyourself @m_dimitrov @nanafan @djmakemewet @discoteca @Dangerous Maknae @tom71 @Lucy Honeychurch @rdp @tylerc904 @Doenjang @rav4boy @Angeleyes @2014 @Future Lover @JMRGBY @Remyky22 @Cutlery @Suburbia @gezza76 @GimmeWork @Mirwais Ahmadzaï @Andrew.L @dylanaber @Mjg0806 @relby @elear @Andy French @fatyoshi @Up Down Suite @CasperFan @1991 @dancingwithmyself @Babylon @Aester @Syzygyz @Dreampopboy @Fuchsia @NightmareBoy @Skyline @BreatheBox @FridayNight @Modeblock @Daniel_O @Coochi @DominoDancing @scottdisick94 @Robsolete @Fortune @R27 @Sideout @RetroPhysical @Zdarlight @joeee @Xanax @TrueBeliever @DinahLee @aaronhansome @SloMover @Jimmyandroid @JonBcn @Candy Perfume Girl @paperboyfriendd @Miss Lange @Mister_G @phoenix123 @Pop Life @K94 @clowezra @Rogue @wintersleep @evilsin @TheChoirgirlHotel @KingBruno @Remorque @Digital Ghost @Trinu 3.0 @MrMannacroix @LTG @Ramalama @nametag @Markus1981 @sexercise @Mr Blonde @happiestgirl @Music Is Death @strangekin @Chezam @japanbonustrack @fancygreen @Bangers&Bops @Weslicious @tommylander @Touchofmyhand @Push @beyoncésweave)
    LOWEST SCORE: 5 x 1 (girl... @Butterfly)

Well, one step into the Top 5 and already we see a change! "Into The Groove" slips one spot from its #4 placement in 2015, but as you can see from the score, it was always was going to be a lock for the Top 5. A 0.1 jump is tiny in most other rates, but here it's a massive gulf. "Into Groove" zoomed into the Top 5 by 40 voters and that is where it stayed.

"Into The Groove" was rather famously chucked together in about ten minutes while Madonna perved on her hot neighbour from the balcony of her apartment in New York City. That's honestly the story. She was trying to write some songs and wanted to be done with this particular song quickly so she could go and chase some dick. This was probably compounded by the fact that the song wasn't originally even going to be for her until she realised what a bop she had created. Madonna's also had a fairly rocky, unattached relationship with the track, with it being one of the songs she said she felt "retarded" singing in 2009 (sis...) but I can maybe understand what she means... somewhat. It was such a low energy effort for her to pull together, and it has gone on to become one of her biggest, most beloved songs while songs she has slaved over don't get nearly the same amount of praise. Someone who is always moving forward as much as Madonna also maybe slightly resents always being pulled back to that balcony when she chucked a song together for another artist while she waited for her nail polish to dry, only to end up performing it for the next thirty years. For what it's worth, I don't think she's nearly as caustic towards the past these days.

"Into The Groove" is... The First Bop. Sure, there were jams before it. You could even sway a little. Maybe tap your foot in the footwell of your car. Click your fingers a bit. But "Into The Groove" was The First Bop. In the caves, where the first drawings of man exist, next to stick figures and animals and the sun and the moon, there is also, in a font eerily resembling some homosexual's awful Android font in the present day, the words "Into The Groove is a bop! YAS." When translating the hieroglyphics of ancient Egypt, experts were stumped for decades when they discovered the phrase, "This slaps!" with absolutely no context. It is eternal, it is forever. It has even existed long before Madonna, who wrote it. It bops, therefore... it bops.

"Into The Groove" has endured because everything about it is evergreen. Madonna has had her fair share of profound lyrics and soul-shaking songs, but we always come back to her summoning us to dance it out, don't we? It's something that it shares with another Top 5 denizen; this idea that dancing is for everyone but also specifically for you. How it's individual and communal at the same time. And this is true whether it's in the club or, like recently for all of us, in the two square feet of free space you have in your bedroom. It's always going to be Madonna's finest message; that there is freedom in music and movement, that a sway of your hips can expel your worries and troubles and insecurities, even if only for three minutes. "Into The Groove" is powerful because it is a safe space. Live out your fantasies here with me. The moment those synths crash in, you are guarded by something loud and wild and fierce. You can dance.

But yeah... it's a fucking bop. Like, who gave Madonna the right to have so many of pop's finest basslines under her name? That vocal delivery that sounds like a perpetual dare, the piano breakdown on The Immaculate Collection version that everyone hates despite it being the definitive version that plays with the structure magnificently (FIGHT ME.) and that absolutely insane, catapulting, ricocheting, bouncing 80s production. Is it any wonder why Billboard named it Dance Single of the Decade at the end of the 80s? Songs don't sound bigger than this. I once heard this on a dance floor followed by Whitney Houston's "I Wanna Dance With Somebody" and I shit, girls. I shit. Like all the songs in the Top 5, it is one of the best pop songs of all time, and will always have that magic.

There's also some Desperately Seeking Susan-adjacent nonsense concerning "Into The Groove", but like I've said before, there are few things in this would I would rather do less than watch Madonna's filmography, so I'll let y'all fill in the blanks while I jump over to the 11/10 commentary corner. Let's see who has taken this life-affirming banger and turned it into an allegory for their queer trauma this time, shall we? First up is @Babyface who is a Taylor Swift stan, so you know we're about to get some fucked up childhood story now.

"I wrested for a while with either giving my 11 to Like A Prayer, which is a perfect pop song and likely the defining song of Madonna’s career, or Into The Groove which is both an incredible song and also my personal favorite Madonna song for an entirely different reason.

I went to college in Texas so I spent some of my most formative years, when I was still learning to accept myself, in a place I had limited avenues for safely exploring or openly expressing myself the way I wanted to. One place that became a safe haven to me at the time was an 80s themed nightclub, where it felt like I was stepping into a different world and I could go get lost on the dancefloor without having to worry about what everyone around me would think because they were all doing the same thing. It was at that club where I heard Into The Groove for the first time and it was practically a religious experience, a rush of pure euphoria that I remember every time I play the song. Madonna’s voice booming over the speakers, commanding us to dance while the music video played on giant projectors on both sides of the dancefloor…a moment. One that I will never forget, one that is most pleasing to me in my career. As I’ve mentioned in this thread, I was a stranger to a lot of Madonna’s catalogue before taking part in this rate (which I blame on growing up in a country-music stanning household and only allowing myself to fully embrace my love for pop music during the aforementioned formative years) but that night and that memory are what sparked my interest in participating, and I’m glad I did because what discography and what a woman. I’m pretty sure this has no chance of winning, but hopefully this 11 can help propel it up into the upper echelon where it belongs."

Wait, that was actually sweet rather than heartbreaking! Will @Jonathan27 follow it up with something a little more tear duct twisting?

"When choosing my 11’s in the past, I have always been able to base my decision off of standardized criteria. Typically this amounts to what song intrinsically connected me to an artist, or it might be the song that feels the most emblematic of the respective artist’s body of work. In re-assessing Madonna’s discography for this rate, I found myself dragging my heels not due to an aversion to crack open my appreciation but rather due to the hesitation to quantify my relationship with her work. Reading the thread throughout the forum’s preliminary discussion has proven this conundrum is not unique to me. The sheer breadth of Madonna’s impact on all of our lives cannot be limited to just one song, as evidenced by the love and appreciation for her work by at least one sector of the fanbase at nearly every stage of her career. It isn’t so much a matter of being a Madonna fan but rather being a fan of pop music itself which is either indebted to Madonna, or it’s a passion that led to inevitably discovering her catalog. So how does one condense their relationship with the greatest pioneer of pop as a zeitgeist into one perfect song among dozens of candidates?

Ultimately my decision came down to fifteen choices. Some of these were obvious, others less so, but what stood out more than anything was just how formative these songs all were for me. Nothing Fails claimed one of my 11’s last time and nearly cinched this one as well as it has long been the catalyst to my acceptance of religion as a chronic rift separating me from my family. What once manifested as pain and resentment has shifted to understanding and peace, in no small part due to Madonna herself. But what led me to selecting my 11 this time was the throughline that has always connected me to pop music and specifically Madonna. Growing up in the Midwest, weekends consisted of farm work (not to be confused with yard work), tending to the animals, gardening in the summer and worshipping the christian god year round. Pop music served as both a portal to another realm and as a salve to the uncertainty that comes with never fitting in. With that said, has there ever been a call to action quite as thrilling as “you can dance for inspiration”? Into the Groove may be nearing 35 (!?!) years old but it remains a blistering, beautiful monster of a pop song. Madonna emotes more in one elongated “I’m waiting” than most of these girls do across an entire album. Much of Madonna’s work telegraphed my transition from precocious teenager tortured by the dissonance of loving dick and loving god to an equally precocious college student navigating his sexuality while living hundreds of miles from his parents for the first time. I didn’t make friends easily, but that first year I didn’t need to: I quickly became fully entrenched in my obsession with dance as escape, as a means to shed perceptions of me and who I thought I needed to be. There was one club in Mid-Missouri that allowed adults under 21 years old to come and dance just one night a week. I romanticized that dance floor as a sanctuary, somewhere no one noticed I was alone and there was solidarity in getting lost in song. The club was within walking distance of my dorm, an ample 20-30 minutes that I would spend talking myself into not turning around and heading back to my room for the night. I chickened out the first handful of times before deciding to take my headphones with me to keep myself amped up. Madonna became the staple of these walks, mostly a shuffle of Confessions and Hard Candy with a few of my favorite singles thrown in for variety. The song that I always played to start was Into the Groove for both the opening lyric I cited above and because it paints a vivid, solitary moment of liberation. “Only when I’m dancing can I feel this free” becomes “I’m tired of dancing here all by myself.” Most songs about dancing are framed from the perspective of the dancefloor, while Into the Groove conjures a dancefloor from the confinement of one’s home where you have full agency but limited opportunity. Why was I sitting alone in my dorm room on a Friday night when I could be out dancing? This is who Madonna has always been for me: she is an inspiration not because she’s heartwarming or supportive, though she can be those things too. She is an inspiration because she represents fortitude and perseverance, an unshakable pillar for those of us who never had someone to tell us it’s okay to be different or to do what feels right. Madonna is inspiring simply by nature of continuing to defy what is expected. I may have never heard Into the Groove while I was in that club every week, but it’s because of this song and the artist behind it that I ever made it there to begin with."

...Yup.

[​IMG]

Next up is @torontodj, who manages to echo the previous commentators in appreciating the song's message of freedom and self-love without making me want to melt into goo. Well done, sis!

""Only when I'm dancing can I feel this free" is one of the lines Madonna sings in Into the Groove. The freedom of dancing, not only by yourself, but with others. The connection we feel with each other when we're out there on the dancefloor together. With the exception of Vogue, I don't think there is a better Madonna song that encapsulates the freedom, joy and power of dancing, and dance music, than Into the Groove. Shep Pettibone remixed the song for the 1987 remix compilation, You Can Dance (recognize the words) into an 8-minute-plus extravaganza. It's fine, of course, but I will always choose the 4:40 minute version. The You Can Dance version had a slower and extended opening. But the 4:40 minute version is like a rush from the very start. It literally gets you into the groove from the very first beat. It's perfection."

The Immaculate Collection version though. @unnameable brings up that film I wasn't going to bring up, although from what I can gather from Madonna's 80s movies, just having her on a screen doing things was enough to sate the appetite of her stans. Thank God I was able to just take the music and run!

"This is the most danceable song of all time. It’s also from peak 80s Madonna, and defines 1985 in some ways. I was too young to watch “Desperately Seeking Susan” at the time, when it finally came on TV I loved the song even more."

Let's drop a couple of quickies together: @paullypaul dips to simply add, "Loved it at the time, still love it now. It’s perfect, timeless pop." while bride-to-be @Beautiful Child 2 adds, "I mean? There’s nothing to say, really. Get up and move." So I guess I'm one of the fifteen people invited to the ceremony on Thursday? Good thing I have no prior commitments!

And finally, we have @Bleu Noir, who echoes all the other ladies above who are using Madonna as their therapist. I mean, aren't we all?

"Maybe too obvious for some but for me this is not only THE defining Madonna song of all time, it is THE pop song of all time. It’s both ‘Dancing On My Own’ and ‘I Want To Dance With Somebody’ simultaneously. It’s melancholic and euphoric. You really can dance for inspiration."

"Into The Groove" received some shitty compilation video because five of Madonna's music videos were smashing on the medium at the time and Warner were afraid of flooding the public. This was the the reason pretty most Like A Virgin era singles don't have visuals. Still, that didn't stop it from being her first No.1 in the UK and, to this date, her best selling single here. Taste, for a changer! In the US, however, they stuck it on the b-side to fucking "Angel" and it didn't even chart. That didn't stop it from becoming one of her most known hits though. The song has also been performed A LOT. I have done my best to compile them all below. Enjoy!

Extras OUT.

Re-Invention
    Sticky & Sweet
    Rebel Heart

4. Oh fuck off. Confessions stans ruin EVERYTHING (I'm joking...maybe)

5. Most of my 10s went to those dance floor bangers! I just think Frozen is superior to most of them.

Maki, Future Lover and Sprockrooster like this.
  6. RJF

RJF

"INTO THE GROOVE" - FULL SCORE SHEET

Babyface 11
    Jonathan27 11
    paullypaul 11
    WoW73 11
    torontodj 11
    letuinmybackdoor 11
    MilesAngel 11
    unnameable 11
    Bleu Noir 11
    Beautiful Child 2 11
    RJF 10
    nikkysan 10
    AshtrayHeart 10
    Andreas 10
    Tigerlily 10
    Vasilios 10
    cheida 10
    Jwentz 10
    Raichu 10
    dodoriazarbon 10
    P'NutButter 10
    eatyourself 10
    m_dimitrov 10
    nanafan 10
    djmakemewet 10
    discoteca 10
    Dangerous Maknae 10
    tom71 10
    Lucy Honeychurch 10
    rdp 10
    tylerc904 10
    Doenjang 10
    rav4boy 10
    Angeleyes 10
    2014 10
    Future Lover 10
    JMRGBY 10
    Remyky22 10
    Cutlery 10
    Suburbia 10
    gezza76 10
    GimmeWork 10
    Mirwais Ahmadzaï 10
    Andrew.L 10
    dylanaber 10
    Mjg0806 10
    relby 10
    elear 10
    Andy French 10
    fatyoshi 10
    Up Down Suite 10
    CasperFan 10
    1991 10
    dancingwithmyself 10
    Babylon 10
    Aester 10
    Syzygyz 10
    Dreampopboy 10
    Fuchsia 10
    NightmareBoy 10
    Skyline 10
    BreatheBox 10
    FridayNight 10
    Modeblock 10
    Daniel_O 10
    Coochi 10
    DominoDancing 10
    scottdisick94 10
    Robsolete 10
    Fortune 10
    R27 10
    Sideout 10
    RetroPhysical 10
    Zdarlight 10
    joeee 10
    Xanax 10
    TrueBeliever 10
    DinahLee 10
    aaronhansome 10
    SloMover 10
    Jimmyandroid 10
    JonBcn 10
    Candy Perfume Girl 10
    paperboyfriendd 10
    Miss Lange 10
    Mister_G 10
    phoenix123 10
    Pop Life 10
    K94 10
    clowezra 10
    Rogue 10
    wintersleep 10
    evilsin 10
    TheChoirgirlHotel 10
    KingBruno 10
    Remorque 10
    Digital Ghost 10
    Trinu 3.0 10
    MrMannacroix 10
    LTG 10
    Ramalama 10
    nametag 10
    Markus1981 10
    sexercise 10
    Mr Blonde 10
    happiestgirl 10
    Music Is Death 10
    strangekin 10
    Chezam 10
    japanbonustrack 10
    fancygreen 10
    Bangers&Bops 10
    Weslicious 10
    tommylander 10
    Touchofmyhand 10
    Push 10
    beyoncésweave 10
    DJHazey 9.5
    AllGagaLike 9.5
    theelusivechanteuse 9.5
    Hurricane Drunk 9.5
    muddleddreams 9.5
    citoig 9.5
    Epic Chocolat 9.5
    Lila 9.5
    eliminathan 9.5
    No hay banda 9
    HEARTCORE 9
    Sprockrooster 9
    maverick_79 9
    sfmartin 9
    OSHi 9
    matthew. 9
    madgemad 9
    Ana Raquel 9
    Drew 9
    VeryPSB 9
    joe_alouder 9
    BTG 9
    Filippa 9
    ABoy’sGot2Suffer4Fashion 9
    ufint 9
    RainOnFire 9
    Holly Something 9
    Endothelium 8.5
    Sail On 8.5
    BEST FICTION 8.5
    Crisp X 8.5
    acl 8.5
    M24 8.5
    aux 8
    Euphoria 8
    soratami 8
    Phonetics Boy 8
    godspeed 8
    Mikl C 8
    Mvnl 8
    FrozenNight 8
    Maki 8
    funkyg 7.5
    Michael17 7.5
    Joe. 7
    Verandi 7
    Sleepycat 6
    Butterfly 5​

7. ...sistren...

8. 2014

2014 Staff Member

107 10s??????? Fack.

9. Well, as a long-standing Confessions stan, I am deeply devastated to see Into the Groove bow out but also very excited to see how far Hung Up has come.

10. RJF

RJF

That Live Aid 1985 performance... nothing but a bold lip, a tambourine, her natural hair colour, and two queens for back up. Out there in front of one hundred thousand people in broad daylight barely three years into her career and giving it, "Alright, people of the wooooorld." before slaying. That's ROCK STAR SHIT. A few points to raise:

• Who else?
    • How was she doing it?
    • Who gave her the right?
    • Where is my wig?

Things she did:

• This
    • That

11. I wonder how many 11s are left now. At least one of the remaining songs will probably get the record of most 11s in a PJ rate I guess.

12. Wait if this the 5 from @Butterfly maybe Like A Prayer got a descent* score

* = aka 10/11.

13. I love how Madonna just does. Not. Let. Up on Into the Groove. There is barely a second of the original version where Madonna's vocal is absent, from intro to fadeout there she is - imploring you to let go, get down and dance. It really feels like the scrappy determined Madonna essence distilled into a single song.

evilsin, GimmeWork, Aester and 14 others like this.
  14. Into The Groove and Burning Up are Madonna's 80s ethos in song form.

15. [​IMG]

16. A total of 111 have been given out so far. That would leave 54 left if everyone gave an 11 although not everybody did. 10 is the number to beat.

Maki and Verandi like this.
  17. In fact ever since #8, the amount of 11's has gone up by 1 on each subsequent elimination. Will it last?

8. Drowned World... 11X7
    7. Deeper And Deeper 11X8
    6. Ray Of Light 11x9
    5. Into The Groove 11x10

Aester, Maki, Pop Life and 4 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.