Madonna: The Discography Rate - DRAMA, CHAOS, CONFUSION, AND MADNESS | Page 307 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - DRAMA, CHAOS, CONFUSION, AND MADNESS

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. The debut starting to take on water is not cute.

2. R27

R27

Burning Up is my least favourite of her debut’s singles (and in general tbh), and is the only remaining debut cut I’d have leave before the top 100. Everybody goes on way too long but it’s still pretty ace and I wouldn’t have minded seeing it last longer.

3. Everybody should not be gone. It is a stone cold Madonna classic. It is an outlier in her discography due to the sparse cold production and it has got a very late disco or early house feel about it. Even the dub is perfection. Of course I was never in a New York cool club in the early 80s but if I was I would have expected it to sound and feel like Everybody. It is also the sound of Madonna before her fame/infamy went into orbit and I like that.

K94, Chezam, acl and 4 others like this.
  4. Everybody is essential and deserved top 100.

Womanizer, Chezam, cheida and 9 others like this.
  5. Everybody features the quintessential messages of Madonna's music - the call to the dancefloor, the joy and freedom of dancing, being yourself. I love the urgent vocals. But I still feel Into the Groove and Vogue capture them better.

I love the Girlie Show performance. The energy is amazing.

funkyg, tommylander and Bleu Noir like this.
  6. RJF

RJF

WE'RE OVER HALFWAY. AND WE HAVE ANOTHER TIE.

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 7.421

2015 PLACEMENT: N/A
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 8 (@AllGagaLike @Andrew.L @torontodj @joeee @DinahLee @Trinu 3.0 @acl @nametag)
    LOWEST SCORE: 2 x 1 (@Sideout)
    MY SCORE: 8/10

Madame X is... bleeding. Now, I don't have much against it generally, but I feel like everything I've eliminated from Madame X over the last two days should have at least outlasted "Faz Gostoso", which is still here for reasons I'm not entirely sure about. However, we'll just have to persevere and talk about this album highlight prematurely I guess.

The inspiration behind it appears to have started when Madonna was in Marrahkesh for her 60th birthday, where she came across a kind of North African music known as Gnawa. She was particularly taken with an instrument they were using known as qraqebs, which are... basically the clicky things you hear all the way through the track. She particularly inspired by the fact that the origin of these instruments was when slaves had their shackles taken off them, they decided to turn them into musical instruments instead, turning what trapped them into something that could liberate them, which I think ties back to at least the hook of the song, finally being able to come alive after a period of feeling trapped and owned. But either way, it's a wonderfully produced, propulsive, uplifting bop. Jeff Bhasker and Starrah work their magic again. This shouldn't be out this early, but y'all are hateful, so.

The song was performed during the Madame X Tour, but we're still waiting on footage from that. In the meantime, enjoy a video of Madonna explaining literally everything I just typed out in the above paragraph, meaning you could have just watched the minute-long video rather than reading. LOSERS!

Filippa, Crisp X, sexercise and 55 others like this.
  7. Like the track, but her lame vocal performance really drags it down severely. Sounds like a gorgeous little hopeful that was almost there.
    Looking forward to the anti-leaderboard! Honestly so much easier to follow. Also, making a "Top 100 Madonna tracks as voted by Popjustice that one time" playlist sounds... like a thing to be done.

8. "Front line, I won't stand in the back, 'cause you want me to
    [...]
    Stand out, no, I don't wanna blend in, why you want me to?"

There's something so powerful in hearing this coming from Madonna, in her sixties, after a whole life of fighting and challenging people that are still now trying to make her bow down and do something "age appropriate" or that she should settle down like her life is just over. Especially in this album cycle as mentioned before. And she's still standing and going forward, looking for inspiration and so on.
    And the song is still so packed with tenderness. Wisdom. It's Joyful. It feels like a good-time 80's song in spirit.

Crisp X, Stradiwhovius, K94 and 17 others like this.
  9. Come Alive is gorgeous. The lyrics are wonderful and it's very latter-day Moby in terms of melody and vocal arrangements, which was a nice surprise.

Everybody...I've never connected with it that much in its album version, but she's managed to make every single tour arrangement of it slap me so hard my dentist is sore. I appreciate it for the historical aspect more than anything.

K94, Mr Blonde, joe_alouder and 9 others like this.
  10. Don’t forgot the opening of Blond Ambition just as she’s first appearing on stage, into Express Youself. Literally just “Dance and sing get up and do your thing” a couple of time’s, but still... iconic.

11. I'm horrified at the thought that some people think that this opportunistic cover is a better song than the 110+ that were voted out. Absolute madness!

Phonetics Boy and M24 like this.
  12. M24

M24

I've been saying it for a long time... it deserved to go alongside "Bitch I'm Loca". Outlasting classics like "Everybody", "Don't Cry for Me..." and even one of Madame X's best like "Dark Ballet" is outrageous. I hope it won't make the top 100 or I'll seethe even more haha.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
    Phonetics Boy and NightmareBoy like this.
  13. I’m really surprised I didn’t give Everybody a 10? It was literally my gateway into her 80s back catalogue upon seeing the video on MTV during a Madonna Mania week. I still get my life to this.

DJHazey and Bleu Noir like this.
  14. "Come Alive" suffers from being so cold and... not alive.

Since "Madame X" is now down to only 5 songs, I can say the only one I agree deserves to be in the top 5 of that album is "Faz Gostoso" *hides*

DJHazey and Weslicious like this.
  15. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Staff Member

I was just about to say that Come Alive is one of her warmest songs! Wow.

I can see how the first verse might sound cold, but the second the strings come in on the chorus, it immediately blossoms. And then there are the muted horns that pop in and out, plus the choir... the whole song is like a warm summer breeze. I love it.

Now that I think about it, it kind of reminds me of Body Shop actually, which was also done wrong. Both should've been Top 100.

Crisp X, Lila, Chezam and 5 others like this.
  16. RJF

RJF

[​IMG]

SCORE: 7.421

2015 PLACEMENT: DOWN 6 - 107 of 210 (7.139)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 3 (@Vasilios @rdp @joeee)
    LOWEST SCORE: 2 x 1 (@OSHi)
    MY SCORE: 6.5/10

It's... a song about how great children are.

[​IMG]

No, I'm only kidding. Kind of. On a forum full of hedonistic homos it's not really that much of a surprise that this didn't get many people's wombs throbbing with high scores, but it's still a sweet track. Ray Of Light has always been billed as Madonna's motherhood album, but it's always been less about that and more about the additional perspective about the world she received when becoming a mother, which is why it's bookended by songs that explain her change in philosophy (we'll get to that far later) and of course, a song about what caused her change in philosophy. It also lets what is quite a subversively bleak album end up a positive note, which is nice.

"Little Star" is probably the most explicit Madonna gets about writing what is essentially a love letter to her firstborn, Lourdes. It's also another Rick Nowels co-write, which has me reeling. Why do they never produce properly amazing songs together? It's sweet, it's performed beautifully, William Orbit makes it sound like a cosmic lullaby blah blah blah. Okay, enough. Although if I was Lourdes I'd be kinda pressed considering Rocco got "Intervention" written for him and she got this.

Anyway, that's enough being nice about children, quite frankly. The song was not performed as part of Drowned World or, really, anything, apart from Madonna's hour long sit down with Oprah during the release of the album. Which makes sense. If you're trying to sell your album to stay and home moms, best wheel out the track all about what they're doing at that moment. Although a lot of women I know usually spend their maternity leave hysterically wondering why this fall of flesh that came out of them does nothing but scream and shit, so. Enjoy!

Filippa, Crisp X, Womanizer and 57 others like this.
  17. 2014

2014 Staff Member

why is Ray Of Light losing songs.

Crisp X, KingBruno, Remyky22 and 9 others like this.
  18. ...I don't know, but "Swim" next!

dancingwithmyself likes this.
  19. ...No.

20. Are y'all sure about this?

FridayNight, Lila and Push like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.