Madonna: The Discography Rate - TOP 100 REVEALED | Page 201 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - TOP 100 REVEALED

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. "I Know It" is my favorite song from the debut.

MilesAngel, Aester and CasperFan like this.
  2. First Killers Who Are Partying is your Madame X favourite, now this? Do you just pick a song and random from each album or something?

3. [​IMG]

You've lost God control, @Maki.

4. Funny you mention that, because what i love about the whole Madonna album is that it does conjure up New York City nostalgia in every song. I never visited New York City until 1999, but when I listen to Madonna's first album, I feel like I'm transported to 1983 NYC, and Physical Attraction and Everybody conjure up Danceteria.

cheida, Andy French and AshtrayHeart like this.
  5. Think Of Me is a 10 and I will not hear anything less.

Andy French likes this.
  6. How anyone can consider I Know It as a the crown jewel of the same album that houses Borderline, Lucky Star, Holiday, Think of Me, Burnin' Up and Everybody...I would say worms but shit's already rotted.

7. I love how the debut represents a time and a place. A trip to New York City is still on my to do list, but when I do, this album will definitely be soundtracking it.

cheida and torontodj like this.
  8. The chorus of "I Know It" struck me upon first listen and it's easily the most melodically pleasing/the catchiest part of the entire album and therefore my favourite song from it.
    Oddly enough, my second higgest score from the album is also a non-single, but all of the singles range from good to great, it's just that I don't find them that special or too essential in her broad discography.

It's funny how her first and (so far) last album house probably my most unconventional opinions.

MilesAngel and soratami like this.
  9. RJF

RJF

Yes, yes. Let the fighting commence. The thread has been cordial for long enough.

The first half of our tie is coming in the next half hour!

10. I could easily see Batuka leaving soon, although I don't think it should. Apart from Killers, it seems to be one of the most divisive songs on the album around these parts

11. The more ghastly GP fodder ballads can start leaving now (One More Chance, Love Don't Live Here Anymore, This Used to Be My Playground...)

cheida and Verandi like this.
  12. [​IMG]

13. And what am I supposed to do, huh? Go back to taxi dancin'? Ten cents so some slob can sweat gin all over me? I'm never doin' that again! So you go back there and you tell ol' rich Mr. Old Chocolate Man that he ain't closing ME down!

14. My opinion on This Used To Be My Playground is...mixed. I have no issues with it really, and I love that it seems to be almost universally adored by the general public (because especially since about 2005 or so, at least here in the States, acknowledgement of Madonna or her artistry that isn't couched in "ew old lol" is...distressingly rare), but I almost never listen to it. It doesn't help that it's paced slower than molasses.

Mr Blonde, Chezam and Pop Life like this.
  15. And while we were at my unpopular opinions:

Killers Who Are Partying - 9,5
    ~ Like I've said, my favorite song from "Madame X" and definitely my biggest loss so far. There is something compelling about it that made me adore it right away. The way the song starts gently, obviously influenced Portugal music, and then evolves into clashing is so well-crafted. A way to do a ballad! The production is exquisite - the final two minutes when the beat kicks in is incredible and probably the best musical moment out of all of her albums from that decade. Also, there is a certain ancient sound incorporated (a bit on the nose, but I think of Ancient Egypt when I hear it), which gives the song an even darker note. The chorus gives me some kind of an anthemic vibe and literally sounds like a classic - I can compare it to "Hasta Siempre" for that reason. The melody in general is perfect, captivating and really evokes the darkness and sadness of the song, and along with with instrumental, complimenting each other.
    Since I couldn't have much insight about the reception of "Madame X" songs (due to it not being present in the previous rate), it literally took me by surprise that it was widely disliked.
    However, I'm happy that some of you acknowledged that it's a stunning song and gave it a 10. In hindsight, I should've given it a 10, too, even though that wouldn't change its position.

The lyrics are what they are, but my scores have always been subjective and therefore didn't affect this song. It's a bit ungrateful to talk about it from that position, but it's such a pity that the chances of this gorgeous song were ruined because of the clunky lyrics and her bad Portuguese pronunciation, but oh well, at least we have "Extreme Occident" to hopefully prove that this type of sound is deservingly praised.

Filippa and Sprockrooster like this.
  16. RJF

RJF

[​IMG]

SCORE: 6.109

2015 PLACEMENT: 183 of 210 (5.753)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 3 (@Dangerous Maknae @Bleu Noir @Crisp X)
    LOWEST SCORE: 0 x 1 (@Ramalama)
    MY SCORE: 6/10

[​IMG]

Honestly, how did you girls do it back in the day when Madonna transformed into this beige balladeer? I think @push the button put things in perspective for me when he said ages ago that there was two years in the 90s where she had a unbroken streak of six ballads as singles (seven if you count "Frozen", which... jury's out) before it was finally smashed to pieces with the release of Ray Of Light, and while Madonna turns ballads out better than most... what a slog. That's not even counting the fact that "Take A Bow" became huge in the US the year before too. The thirst for a banger must have been real.

That said, there are definite career highlights in that run, but I would be hard pressed to list "One More Chance" as one of them. I'm actually surprised that my score for it is as high as 6/10 because listening back to it I mostly just want it to end. It's fine. From a technical standpoint, it's hard to fault, but it's solid to the point of boring. David Foster takes the mantel of co-writer here, and he's written roughly 30% of all recorded music, so I'm not surprised that it's hard to poke holes in this, but it's just not my bag at all. Honestly, the most interesting thing I found out about it is that this song was inspired by real life events in Madonna's life... except these were things said to her, not by her, and she repurposed them. It's just such an amusing detail to have out there; of course Madonna has never begged anyone for another chance in real life and wanted that known.

This was actually a single off of Something To Remember, but I don't think it got much support as Madonna had moved on to filming Evita. In one of those diaries excerpts I posted last week, she talks about filming the video for "Love Don't Live Here Anymore" on a day off from filming, so I'm curious as to why that got squeezed in and this didn't. One of life's mysteries, I guess!​

17. Aw, poor One More Chance. It's not particularly groundbreaking (I've long believed that it sounds like M and David Foster's take on More Than Words but make it sad), but she sounds beautiful on it.

It's definitely one of the most uneventful entries in her singles discography though.

18. This isn't something I revisit ... ever? As long as I Want You and You'll See last for a while, I'm good.

19. The cheap montage video and awkward Radio Edit probably didn't help it land with listeners, either:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.