Madonna: The Discography Rate - TOP 100 REVEALED | Page 319 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - TOP 100 REVEALED

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. The way some of y’all have the most... Interesting tastes across several rates...

2. RJF

RJF

[​IMG]

SCORE: 7.512

2015 PLACEMENT: UP 36????
    - 141 of 210 (6.534)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 9 (@eatyourself @soratami @GimmeWork @1991 @scottdisick94 @joeee @clowezra @TheChoirgirlHotel @Maki)
    LOWEST SCORE: 3 x 2 (@tom71 @matthew.)
    MY SCORE: 6/10

It's a bop.

What?

...you want more? I mean, what is there to really say about this, perhaps one of the most non-descript tracks remaining in the rate (well, not any more) that I probably haven't already said about other non-descript tracks so far? It's nice, it's fine, and... it definitely shouldn't have been here at this point. Again, I'm fairly stumped at an explanation for that massive rise in standings other than the fact that... it's a propulsive electro-bop that--oh, that's it. That's explains it. Sometimes I forget that wicked homosexuals are entranced by the siren song of bleep bloops.

No, but seriously, this is... okay. My problem with Music is that the style Madonna and Mirwais seemed to go for was this super slick, ultra-polished, clean sounding pop. And sometimes that works; sometimes something is so shiny it's blinding, but other times, you end up cleaning away any kind of character, and I think this is where "Runaway Lover" sits for me. It's a great vocal from Madonna, who honestly sounds utterly sublime and was really feeling her voice getting deeper as she got a little older, but... yeah, that's about it from me. It's a fun concept for a song, but maybe something with a little more of a narrative would make the whole thing more interesting.

The song was performed a grand total of twice during the Don't Tell Me Promo Tour, which consisted to two dates: one in New York's Roseland Ballroom, and one in London's Brixton Academy. From what I can gather they were acting as warm up shows, since Madonna hadn't toured for three albums (can you IMAGINE???) and had just given birth to Rocco. The London show was streamed live on her website. In the year 2000. Again: can you imagine? All those poor dial up modems; all the phone calls getting cut short in the house of any young homosexual. That said, you can tell she's not been on stage for a while and is loving it. These dates are also where she wore this:

[​IMG]

How kitsch.

funkyg, DJHazey, Jonathan27 and 44 others like this.
  3. A bop. Although, as much as I love it, I think Amazing should have gone out before this.

Given my track record please forgive me if I’m mistaken and it’s already out.

MilesAngel likes this.
  4. Celebration’s gonna make Top 100 isn’t it?

5. RJF

RJF

REMAINING SONGS

Madonna (1983)

1. Lucky Star
    2. Borderline
    3. Burning Up
    5. Holiday

Like A Virgin (1984)

1. Material Girl
    2. Angel
    3. Like A Virgin
    6. Dress You Up

True Blue (1986)

1. Papa Don't Preach
    2. Open Your Heart
    3. White Heat
    4. Live To Tell
    6. True Blue
    7. La Isla Bonita

Like A Prayer (1989)

1. Like A Prayer
    2. Express Yourself
    4. Till Death Do Us Part
    5. Promise To Try
    6. Cherish
    8. Oh Father
    9. Keep It Together
    10. Spanish Eyes

I’m Breathless (1990)

11. Vogue

Erotica (1992)

1. Erotica
    3. Bye Bye Baby
    4. Deeper And Deeper
    6. Bad Girl
    7. Waiting
    8. Thief Of Hearts
    9. Words
    10. Rain
    12. In This Life
    13. Secret Garden

Bedtime Stories (1994)

1. Survival
    2. Secret
    5. Inside Of Me
    6. Human Nature
    9. Sanctuary
    10. Bedtime Story
    11. Take A Bow

Ray Of Light (1998)

1. Drowned World/Substitute For Love
    2. Swim
    3. Ray Of Light
    5. Skin
    6. Nothing Really Matters
    7. Sky Fits Heaven
    9. Frozen
    10. The Power Of Goodbye
    11. To Have And Not To Hold
    13. Mer Girl
    14. Has To Be

Music (2000)

1. Music
    2. Impressive Instant
    4. I Deserve It
    5. Amazing
    7. Don't Tell Me
    8. What It Feels Like For A Girl
    9. Paradise (Not For Me)
    10. Gone

American Life (2003)

1. American Life
    2. Hollywood
    4. Love Profusion
    5. Nobody Knows Me
    6. Nothing Fails
    7. Intervention
    8. X-Static Process
    9. Mother And Father
    10. Die Another Day
    11. Easy Ride

Confessions On A Dance Floor (2005)

1. Hung Up
    2. Get Together
    3. Sorry
    4. Future Lovers
    6. Let It Will Be
    7. Forbidden Love
    8. Jump
    10. Isaac
    12. Like It Or Not

Hard Candy (2008)

3. Give It 2 Me
    5. Miles Away
    11. Devil Wouldn't Recognize You

MDNA (2012)

10. Love Spent

Rebel Heart (2015)

1. Living For Love
    2. Devil Pray
    3. Ghosttown
    6. Bitch I'm Madonna (Feat. Nicki Minaj)
    8. Joan Of Arc
    19. Rebel Heart

Madame X (2019)

1. Medellín (Feat. Maluma)
    3. God Control
    7. Crave (Feat. Swae Lee)
    13. I Don't Search I Find

B-Sides, Rarities, Complilation Tracks, Etc.

Into The Groove
    Crazy For You
    Who's That Girl
    Causing A Commotion
    Justify My Love
    Rescue Me
    I'll Remember
    I Want You (With Massive Attack)
    You'll See
    Beautiful Stranger
    Time Stood Still
    Celebration​

funkyg, DJHazey, evilsin and 21 others like this.
  6. Well it’s not MY FAULT she has the best discography in all of pop music

7. RMK

RMK

I Don't Search I Find needs to go.

FridayNight, Push, RainOnFire and 2 others like this.
  8. M24

M24

What does it do better than Where Life Begins? I don't see it.

Maki likes this.
  9. "Celebration" absolutely needs to be go before we reach the Top 100.

11. RJF

RJF

So, like I said... last week, or at some point in the recent past, I'm going to be taking a bit of a break after I reveal the Top 100 tomorrow. Just a week! But by tomorrow night I will have written 127 mini-essays (and that's just counting the eliminations) across more or less every single day in the last six/seven weeks and I think taking a wee time out before really getting into the meat of this rate would be a good idea.

When we come back, the finish line is actually visible on the horizon for the first time. I've toyed with a few schedule ideas and I've come down to two options:

- Two eliminations per day until the end, meaning we'll wrap this up in 50 days.
    - Three eliminations per day until Top 40, then two per day until the end. This would be 40 days.

Feedback would be appreciated. My part of the world, at least for now, is starting to really move again so eliminations are naturally getting harder to fit in than they were two months ago. Two per day generally means more elasticity; if things come up and I miss days, I can go up to three per day for a while to catch up and make up the difference. Three eliminations per day is harder to promise that, but it also help move things along. I worry about engagement if I'm only doing two per day this early, but then again... we're getting to the really good stuff of the best person to ever do this now. Maybe we should take our time?

Let me know; I did tell y'all way back that this was going to be a commitment, and it is only a ten day difference which is small in the grand scheme of this rate, but yes. You have a week decide basically.

Tomorrow's eliminations... are iconic. It's almost as if the songs knew there had to be a bit of drama before the Top 100. I live.

12. I’d be happy with two eliminations to make this more manageable for you.

13. Two eliminations per day should be plenty, and will leave more time for us to discuss/argue/reflect as we get into the really meaty part of the rate.

14. Two eliminations a day is good - it gives people more opportunity to comment on the most recent eliminations and it's easier on you. I also like the idea of the rate continuing for longer.

evilsin, Push, Future Lover and 7 others like this.
  15. LTG

LTG

These can go.

16. I swear this rate decided to kill me at this point.
    Losing three of my absolute favourite Madonna songs in the past two days is a disaster.

And now "Runaway Lover" leaving before top 100 is an utter mess - definitely my favourite song and only 10 from "Music". In fact, I was listening to it earlier today and just knew its time is running out in this rate, unfortunately.
    Those verses are melodic heaven. I think it would've been in my all-time Madonna top 10 songs, actually.

Hopefully all of tomorrow's eliminations will make at least some sense for a change.

soratami and MilesAngel like this.
  17. I'm good with two eliminations per day, we're gonna have more time to discuss the songs and because I'm very much enjoying this rate so I'd like it to go as long as possible.

FridayNight, rav4boy, Chezam and 3 others like this.
  18. Runaway Lover - 9. Those bleep bloops call to me and I just cannot resist. The rhythm keeps changing throughout the song which makes it very dynamic. The production is more complex then you would think.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020 at 1:23 AM
  19. Runaway Lover’s production is trash. Bye.

20. FINALLY! How High should have gone ages ago. Hoping we lose Devil Wouldn't Recognize You, You'll See, American Life and Give it 2 Me before the top 100. After that, I wouldn't mind some American Life and Confessions culls.

2 per day sounds great RJF!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.