Madonna: The Discography Rate | Page 203 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. RJF

RJF

Anyway, we've got one more in the tank for tonight but we'll see if we get that far before @fancygreen stomps in here, sees what we've done, and murders us all.

2. K94

K94

Probably would have scored it higher if I had seen that performance before nn

3. RJF

RJF

What did I FUCKING SAY about knowing your herstory?!?!?!

4. Yeah that performance is such a treat to watch (and listen to). She was feeling her peak Marilyn oats and gave a phenomenal vocal while she was at it. Gave them old people a SHOW

5. Son of a BICTH IN THAT ORDER.

6. I gave One More Chance an 8, it's lovely. Sooner or Later however...

Maki likes this.
  7. I've known the Blond Ambition performance my whole life, but it was sometime in 2005 at the age of 17/18 that I found out about the Oscars performance in LQ... wow. Slain. Eviscerated. Disemboweled.

Maki and Holly Something like this.
  8. I was just about to complain about "Sooner or Later" still being in. Iconic performance, obviously, but good riddance to the song.

Holly Something likes this.
  9. RJF

RJF

So I didn't realise that that tie is actually followed by... another tie. I'll give you the first half of it tonight and the other half tomorrow.

[​IMG]

SCORE: 6.118

2015 PLACEMENT: 179 of 210 (5.779)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 2 (@Andy French @fatyoshi)
    LOWEST SCORE: 0 x 1 (@djmakemewet)
    MY SCORE: 6/10

uh huh

Uh huh

Uh Huh

UH HUH!

C'mon Elvis impersonator! This is a bit of a bop. Serving as the b-side to "Jump", along with serving as a reminder to me that the single cover for "Jump" is one of her worst, this initially makes you think it's going to go into another one of Madonna's surface level peace and love mantras that she was so into at the time, but instead the lyrics actually kind of work as a rallying cry for fighting for change and not repeating the mistakes of the past, which actually feels quite prescient and relevant to today's current climate. Hell, it feels like it has more political meaning than that explicitly political disaster we eliminated yesterday. So yeah, it feels a little bit more like a dub more than anything, and I'm not sure the individual components are strong enough to stand without a stricter structure, but it's perfectly serviceable. Although we are now verging on the stage where perfectly serviceable tracks are leaving, so...

A demo version leaked in 2007 and I actually think it's better than the version we eventually got, so I'll link to that for anyone who is curious. It adheres to a more solid structure and just feels like it packs a stronger punch than the version we eventually got... Apart from that line about us all being related nn. Either version of the track is pretty good though and could have easily replaced either of the regional bonus tracks.

Music Is Life, funkyg, Wills and 47 others like this.
  10. RJF

RJF

11. I actually prefer the released version because I live for the fanmade extended 6-minute edit that just loops parts of the original track tea

12. [​IMG]

13. I think History leaves at the right place - I like the demos that leaked but the b-side version drags on a bit.
    Is it me or the demo samples Policy Of Truth by Depeche Mode?

Maki likes this.
  14. RJF

RJF

Questions for the thread to busy yourselves with because I love ENGAGEMENT.

1. Does anyone else think that there's maybe a little bit of shared DNA between "History" and "Let It Will Be". There's just something in the way they both chase their respective crescendos but I don't know if the similarity is in melody or production...

2. The difference in how I'm Breathless tracks have fallen in the rate is quite different to how they fell in 2015. Why? The Top 5 for the album from both rates:

2015:

He's A Man
    Something To Remember
    Back In Business
    Sooner Or Later
    Now I'm Following You

2020:

Something To Remember
    Sooner Or Later
    He's A Man
    Hanky Panky
    Back In Business

15. Sooner Or Later just left before... It's So Cool?

I can't even say anything witty. That is just offensive on so many levels.

16. "History" got my lowest score out of all the extras, so it's great to see it leave. I just couldn't bother with how repetitive it is.
    Now that you mentioned it, I can hear it, too. They definitely have something in common, even a tiny bit.
    I think it is that both songs have the exact same BPM rate and there are some slight similarities in the production.

Because people finally recognized the beauty of "Something to Remember". Or maybe it's because some voters trashed all of "I'm Breathless" by default, including the genuinely great "He's a Man" and "Back to Business".

My personal ranking aligns more with the 2015 rate:

Something To Remember
    He's a Man
    Back In Business
    Hanky Panky
    What Can You Lose

@RJF, are there any songs that haven't received any 10's? If I recall correctly, the last one without any was "Buenos Aires" at #199.
    Because I think we're approaching the proper favourites, and it will be interesting to see if any songs with a 6+ average score didn't get any perfect from 165 voters.

And can we get just a hint of the song that is the second part of this tie, please?

R27 and soratami like this.
  17. I definitely prefer the American Life demo of It’s So Cool but the Celebration version is a bop.

Music Is Life and Maki like this.
  18. I can’t wait to not have to read about I’m Breathless anymore (although...the write-ups have been excellent, I’m loving the anecdotes from the peanut gallery, and I’m still learning new things about M everyday).

19. RJF

RJF

No idea! I correlate the highest and lowest scores just before I do the elimination, but I would assume we've still got a couple more that maybe didn't get a 10/10 before we get into territory where it's consistent.
    No.
    Low-key same, mostly because the logo I made for it is ugly, but what I love is that even with the bad material there's so much mythology in it. Like, we've spent a good fortnight discussing I'm Breathless and MDNA, but just think of the conversations that we're gonna be having in a while when we hit the popular albums, the big singles, the songs with multiple performances. Everything is truly getting discussed; we'll leave no stone unturned by the end.

20. History does slap a bit, but I'm not surprised it's gone. I expect Fighting Spirit won't be in for much longer either.

I need a standard edition track from an unassailable album to fall *rubs hands*

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.