Madonna: The Discography Rate | Page 63 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. I set my 11 on stone as soon as the thread opened, I think!

soratami and Verandi like this.
  3. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. I don't really have an issue with long songs, but some of the ones in the debut are just exhausting to listen to. Repeating the chorus about 30 times really wasn't necessary.

tylerc904, Verandi and Maki like this.
  5. Okay, so this turned out to be true, and I won't complain. "True Blue" is a step in the right direction, away from the more kitsch 80's stuff, but still having some damn catchy hooks. The production is also noticeably improved (thank you, Patrick Leonard!) and while it does sound a bit dated, it holds up better than, let's say, most of the tracks from "Like a Virgin".
    It's definitely more consistent than "Like a Virgin" (especially if we exclude "Jimmy Jimmy") and a pretty cohesive album. All five singles are the strongest songs on the album for sure, but only one of them will receive a 10 from me.
    It was a bit surprising to find out that the only singles I was already familiar with are "Papa Don't Preach" and "La Isla Bonita", considering the amount of hits the album was spawning.

Also, I've listened to "Who's That Girl" and some other soundtrack songs/B-sides in between the eras, but I'll talk about them later.

Today is the day for "Like a Prayer". Knowing it's widely considered her best 80's album, I'm excited to hear it for the first time.

soratami likes this.
  6. [​IMG]

Andy French, Ramalama and torontodj like this.
  7. I agree. Some of the songs would really benefit from being a minute or two (or three) shorter, especially the ones where the production doesn't switch up halfway through.
    There aren't any songs I don't like on her debut, so don't worry, @DJHazey.

soratami likes this.
  8. The debut is up there with the heavy hitters teebs. I struggled not giving straight 9’s and 10’s across the board.

9. RJF

RJF

The debut is full of what are essentially dub mixes because... that's just how it was done at the time, along with the fact it it's so deeply steeped in its musical influences. I do agree that the album version of "Borderline" is a bit long, but it's such a rock solid pop song that it's hard to resent it feeling its oats a little.

10. RJF

RJF

Also, I want at least double the amount of ballots I currently have. If y'all are just gonna kill me with an avalanche of ballots in the last two days...

11. I've already scored everything, just going over the song list again before I submit mine. Should be done by the weekend.

Phonetics Boy and Maki like this.
  12. Like A Prayer, Mer Girl and Nothing Fails were my 11s across the last 3 rates but this time I’m going for a more classic Madonna dance moment. A song that I think distills the essence of her to perfection. I’m also just stubbornly not budging from 80s M at the moment so that’s definitely been a big influence.
    The taste!

Jonathan27 and aux like this.
  13. Physical Attraction is the perfect length.

I love that on both Physical Attraction and Everybody she does speaking parts.

Early Dita making an appearance.

cheida, Maki and Ramalama like this.
  14. The debut defenders might talk the talk but are they going to walk the walk?

15. I’m really struggling with my 11. So many good songs.

Maki likes this.
  16. Heard "Act of Contrition" for the first time.
    [​IMG]
    It will be tough to rate it for sure.

17. I’m listening to some stuff for the first time too. The highs are so high and the lows are dismal

Maki likes this.
  18. Yeah, it's the only 5+ minute track from the debut that flows nicely, without getting too repetitive, and it's actually the longest track on the entire album, which is impressive.
    It's definitely in my top 3 from her debut.

Just finished my first (and second) listen of "Like a Prayer" and while it was a great experience, I'm also kind of disappointed in a way, but it's too early to judge.

Touchofmyhand and Ramalama like this.
  19. I really, really like Think Of Me.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.