Madonna: The Discography Rate | Page 67 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. I think it was wise for me to just go rating in random order. I started with Erotica and finished with American Life. I did leave familiarizing myself with most of the extras at the end though

2. It's one of the higher points of MDNA, but christ, Gang Bang feels like it goes on forever, huh?

Bang bang - shot you dead
    Bang bang - shot you dead, shot my lover in the head

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Now if you're gonna act like a bitch
    Then you're gonna die like a bitch

3. It's all about the buildup though!! Some of y'all have never wanted to kill a man and it shows.

4. I.............. think I'll be the highest scorer in Like A Virgin...............

5. RJF

RJF

YOU HAVE TWO FUCKING WEEKS LEFT TO VOTE. THAT'S FOURTEEN DAYS. THAT'S THE SAME AMOUNT OF TIME LIKE A PRAYER WAS WRITTEN IN. MADONNA DID THAT. YOU CAN DO THIS.

6. These are my album averages:
    (rounded to 1 decimal place)

Ray of Light - 8.8
    Like A Prayer - 8
    American Life // Erotica - 7.9
    Music - 7.7
    Madame X - 7.6
    Bedtime Stories - 7.3
    Confessions On A Dance Floor - 7.3
    Madonna - 7.1
    Hard Candy // True Blue - 7
    Rebel Heart - 5.8
    Like A Virgin - 4.9
    MDNA - 3.6
    I’m Breathless - 2

I only included bonus tracks within the average where they’ve been officially added on to releases on streaming. Otherwise they’re really not part of the album experience to me.
    Kind of surprised to see Hard Candy so low when I always fight its corner, but it still has a high average.

7. Oh come on.

8. I'm listening to the I'm Breathless and...what exactly motivated her to do the project? Seems bizarre off the tail end of Like A Prayer (not to mention Erotica following). Was it another attempt at a film career?

Edit: Relatedly, how do we feel about I'm Going Bananas? I think it's the most interesting thing on the soundtrack (bar Vogue), but also feel a bit weird about it for obvious reasons. Kinda live for the meshuga lyric though.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    Maki likes this.
  9. I'm Going Bananas might just be the worst song of all time. At least it's mercifully short!

10. there was a track that i havent listened much before but now it made me stop the rate and cry for some minutes. this has been a bit more emotional than what I thought.

Crisp X, Maki, Lila and 1 other person like this.

11. In Q magazine's December 1994 issue, Madonna herself declared: "I would have to say the favourite record that I've made is the soundtrack to ‘Dick Tracy’. I love every one of those songs… My judgement is never based on the world's reaction."

phoenix123 likes this.
  12. I wonder what was going through M.I.A’s head when she was recording BDay Song

13. RJF

RJF

I imagine approaching I'm Breathless as a completely different character was an extreme novelty to her after the last eight years of carving her own persona out of marble. To escape into something that had a little less pressure and a little more freedom was probably a great outlet. I don't have much love for it as a project and I think it's a catastrophe in places, but the best parts are at least nice and it gave "Vogue" a home... although maybe it would have been better without one.

acl, Music Is Life, Rem and 15 others like this.
  14. She'd had a modicum of success marrying music with her film characters (ish) with Who's That Girl so I imagine to be able to expand on that with a whole album and interesting era as an aesthetic was a thrill. Plus Sondheim. And she sound amazing. And it went into Blonde Ambition.

I imagine she's still very fond of it - and I will forever defend it (especially when she categorically has worse album elsewhere), even if I don't really count it among her Studio Albums.

Bleu Noir likes this.
  15. It was going so well too....

16. I mean it’s essentially her Cheek To Cheek (with more merit being all originals), significant (definitely for the artist) and a good showcase but not considered “canon”.

Bleu Noir likes this.
  17. I just... don't understand why anyone would go out of their way to listen to I'm Breathless compared to any of her other albums, sorry.

18. I just finished with I'm Breathless.. she's dead now.
    [​IMG]

19. Based on some consistently choice opinions in this thread I think I know who this is

[​IMG]

And I have nothing to lose by exposing them

[​IMG]

Maki likes this.
  20. Some of these MDNA averages are troll votes, I mean they're not even trying to hide it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.