Madonna

moorje said:
Oh my god, Madonna ripped off Marilyn Monroe??!!??! I'll never look at her in the same way again. Best sell all my CDs on ebay and give the proceeds to Aisha's Bandstock's account.

I think her Monroe images could be classed as an homage, but she did rip off Ingrid Chavez's Justify My Love, and deceased artist Guy Bourdin's work for the Hollywood video.

There is a fine line between being influenced by, and 'ripping off', it would seem.

multimediac17

There is no way she "ripped off" the 'Hollywood' video - the images were exactly the same! Did she honesty expect, being the world's most famous woman and all, that nobody would notice? Of course not. It was obviously a tribute, not a rip-off.

multimediac17 said:
There is no way she "ripped off" the 'Hollywood' video - the images were exactly the same! Did she honesty expect, being the world's most famous woman and all, that nobody would notice? Of course not. It was obviously a tribute, not a rip-off.

Would you say Justify My Love is a tribute to Ingrid Chavez?

I think I can categorically state that Madonna's name is a tribute to Jesus' Mother.

multimediac17

mcuk said:
multimediac17 said:

Would you say Justify My Love is a tribute to Ingrid Chavez?

No, but I was talking about the 'Hollywood' video.

Music is my favourite Madonna album, it's the only album where I like all the songs from start to finish (if I exclude American Pie right at the end!!!)

Don't know if that's a controversial opinion or not!

Mvnl

Staff member
Say what you want about Glee, but all these tweets by teen Gleeks like "I never cared for Madonna, but these are good songs!" plus the adds for Celebration in the add breaks make me love their Madonna tribute even more.

Mvnl

Staff member
multimediac17 said:
Will they actually buy Celebration though, or will they just buy the Glee versions on that EP? That's the question.

Yes it is.. but I'm sure at least a few of them will youtube the originals, and the Celebration ads must have helped a bit!

I

IotV

multimediac17 said:
Will they actually buy Celebration though, or will they just buy the Glee versions on that EP? That's the question.
Didn't Celebration return to the US Top 40?

multimediac17

Quite possibly next week, it's not there right now. If it did that's great, almost makes up for the fact that the reason it's there is bloody Glee.

The Glee Madonna album is #1 on UK iTunes, but more importantly, "Celebration" has shot up from #93 to #12 in the space of an hour!

I

IotV

multimediac17 said:
Quite possibly next week, it's not there right now. If it did that's great, almost makes up for the fact that the reason it's there is bloody Glee.
I detest Glee with a passion, but I'd love it if they did a Leona song!

Mvnl

Staff member
riverwide said:
The "Celebration" album is up to #9 on UK iTunes now!

Wow, that's quick.
It's only a matter of time before record companies pay big time to determine which songs will be used in the next Glee episode.