Madonna

Speaking of her acting, I found Dangerous Game fairly torturous to watch but there were moments in her performance where I thought, "Wow, she IS a talented actress."

No such moments in Next Best Thing and Swept Away, unfortunately.

Speaking of her acting, I found Dangerous Game fairly torturous to watch but there were moments in her performance where I thought, "Wow, she IS a talented actress."

No such moments in Next Best Thing and Swept Away, unfortunately.

I get what you mean about Dangerous Game. But apparently she didn’t always know when they were actually filming so some of those scenes are for real which is why she appears less self-conscious.

Madonna's acting problem is that she's Madonna.

She shines on camera when performing in music videos or on stage because she just has natural charisma in buckets, but that all strips away when she has to take on another persona.

I also think she is such a well-known figure and I just don’t buy her as someone else.

I think Evita worked because she didn’t stray far from music.

I get what you mean about Dangerous Game. But apparently she didn’t always know when they were actually filming so some of those scenes are for real which is why she appears less self-conscious.

Which is why she loathes Abel Ferrara. I think Madonna felt a lack of control on that set. I think there was also a lot of improvisation which made her uncomfortable, although as an actress, she rose to the challenge. There's one scene where Madonna's character recounts a traumatic experience and I wonder if Madonna had regrets of that being included since it veered heavily into the personal side of Madonna and she had second thoughts?

For all the flack Madonna gets as an actress, I enjoy most of her films. It's only Shanghai Suprise and The Next Best Thing I truly dislike. My issue with The Next Best Thing is it came off more like a vanity project. She didn't challenge herself as an actress, and this was her first major film after Evita. It just seemed too predictable to play a yoga teacher since we knew she practised yoga (at the time, at least).

I found her comic timing to be off in her Will & Grace guesting so I don’t really think she has the knack for comedy, either. She was great in Dick Tracy, though.

Maybe this should be the slogan for the biopic.
Yet her music videos are some of the best. Her movies are not about her, but about her playing or creating a new character. The biopic is different from those because it’s about her. If it’s more like a music video it might be good, which is why I have hope for it.

Maybe this should be the slogan for the biopic.
I'd actually be here for her directing, writing, and acting in her own biopic for the camp of it all. A Marc by Marc for Marc oolong.

But in general my expectations for the biopic are low. I also fear it'll just pale in comparison to Truth or Dare, which is one of the best docs of all time and probably just as fictional as the biopic will be.

The biopic will definitely have fictional bits to say the least, that's how Madonna tells her history since day one. How many versions we have from her own lips about $35, I lost my shoe (see also : https://www.wmagazine.com/story/madonna-biopic-instagram) ... that's been part of the myth, I just don't think it will translate well in 2022 as a film.

My main fear with the biopic being written and directed by her is that it may very well fall into being an ego-driven propaganda movie about "how missunderstood I was¹111!!!²!"*, "I was a bad feminist"*, "I helped gays and HIV positives¹¹!!2"* given where her head seems to be as of late and how tumbly her speeches have been lately.

*now, we all know she did make great things, but no one can be that objective and factual about oneself to tell a story from afar, and knowing her well...

She calls it a visual autobiography. So that is basically admitting it is her version of events, not objective. We don’t expect autobiographies in book form to be 100% objective and say people can’t write their own autobiographies, so why is there a different rule for films?
I think the biggest problem will be deciding what to include and what to leave out. If you include too many things it will be rushing over things and not going into enough depth.
I don’t really fear it will be too self aggrandizing. I think she is almost honest to a fault. I can see people and tabloids taking certain scenes out of context and using them to make her look bad, if she shows less flattering sides of herself.

The problem is not if it's objective or not, it's impossible to do that with movies. It's how she will choose to portrait herself since she's writing and directing it herself. It's a whole lot of "me" and we all know how it turns out when she makes it all about herself (see last instagram post about David) even if it's her own life, there's a lot surrounding it than first person actions.

Besides, the critics and the general public will pin point inaccuracies because of her involviment much more than if it was written and direct by anyone else. The chances of this being taken anything other than a vanity, self reassurance project is very thin...

I think it’s more very dedicated fans who will point out the inaccuracies rather than critics and the general public. That happened with the Queen and Elton John movies. I’ve read so many articles about her that have inaccuracies so I don’t think a lot of journalists know all the detailed facts.Most critics cover thousands of artists so very few are experts on a specific one. Neither does the general public. Don’t get me started on all the people who think her real name isn’t Madonna and think it’s a stage name.
I think objectivity is more important when it’s a biopic of a non famous person, because then that is your only source and you have no way of checking the accuracy of it. With Madonna there are many other sources of information about her. You don’t have to take the movie at face value, you can read other sources of information.
I don’t think most people when they go to a movie care if it’s 100% accurate. They just care if it’s enjoyable and tells a good story. In movies there isn’t time to fit everything and everyone in, so you often have to take poetic license such as making composite characters.