Madonna

It's interesting (ie sad) how socially acceptable it is to drag people for their looks and/or age. The amount of times I've seen people calling her grandma on social media just makes me wonder, why is that considered an insult? It says a lot about the toxic brew of ageism and sexism. But of course it's also a way to shame an older woman for having the gall to still present herself as sexual.

Fequ3h8XwAEGOH9

It's interesting (ie sad) how socially acceptable it is to drag people for their looks and/or age. The amount of times I've seen people calling her grandma on social media just makes me wonder, why is that considered an insult? It says a lot about the toxic brew of ageism and sexism. But of course it's also a way to shame an older woman for having the gall to still present herself as sexual.
It's so weird to see how terrified people are of ageing, especially gay men. I got called 70 in gay years to my face because I'm nearly 40. I never remember being this terrified of people over 35 even when I was a teen, social media has really done a number on people.

Last edited:
I would say the American Life single / MV being cancelled is a bit more iconic than some of these choices

I adore this channel and I think their career-spanning series is the among the best Madonna related work I ever seen online. But let's just say the creator chose their 40 FAVORITE moments – too many moments that could be condensed into one and where the hell is What It Feels Like For A Girl?

I was also expecting American Life to be featured on the TOP 10 but it's completely missing. Maybe they weren't a fan of the song or thought the message would stick out a bit too much in this moment we're living.

Just looking at some of the ageist vitriol in response to her TikTok video and she's really been dealing with this forever

FetAtYPXgAMEIg_

She was in her mid 30s here and they were calling her grandma ?! Madness

She's been "too old to do what she's doing" on her 30s, 40s, 50s and now 60s. I'm sure she'll keep pushing on and paving the way for others until her last day on Earth – and we ALL should be glad to be living in the same period of this vanguard of a woman.

I love her so much. Queen Madonna still causing all this conversation commotion.

It's so weird to see how terrified people are of age, especially gay men. I got called 70 in gay years to my face because I'm nearly 40. I never remember being this terrified of people over 35 even when I was a teen, social media has really done a number on people.
Not really. It’s kinda gotten better. I remember back in my twink days so many young gays (both peers and just fleeting acquaintances) considering almost every man (who wasn’t rich or muscular) over 25 to be basically decrepit.

Nowadays I see a lot more young people tout loving “daddies” on the apps.

he/him
I love her so much. Queen Madonna still causing all this conversation commotion.

Not really. It’s kinda gotten better. I remember back in my twink days so many young gays (both peers and just fleeting acquaintances) considering almost every man (who wasn’t rich or muscular) over 25 to be basically decrepit.

Nowadays I see a lot more young people tout loving “daddies” on the apps.

Err... fetishizing older people is not the same as giving people respect? I think it's gotten worse. The amount of jokes/memes about being in your 30s, the grooming narrative pushed by conservatives that some young people latch on to, and the agism built into popular music makes it feel pretty dire sometimes.

They/them, he/him
It's interesting (ie sad) how socially acceptable it is to drag people for their looks and/or age

It’s a sad reality of modern life. This forum is not exempt from it. I remember when Ellie Goulding got lip fillers there were quite a few derisory comments. I’ve often found people poking fun at how women in media look deeply uncomfortable.

Err... fetishizing older people is not the same as giving people respect? I think it's gotten worse. The amount of jokes/memes about being in your 30s, the grooming narrative pushed by conservatives that some young people latch on to, and the agism built into popular music makes it feel pretty dire sometimes.
I’ve been seeing a lot of “respecting Gay Seniors” movements/posts honoring Elder Gays on Instagram and Facebook but I guess you guys are just talking about the middle aged gays which I honestly haven’t seen anything either way about.

Now, the jokes/memes about being in your thirties exist with Straight people too and from the ones I’ve seen it’s just about back aching and no longer being as energetic as before with varying shades of humor (the dark ones are the best honestly).

But also, my point is that ageism has not gotten “worse” due to social media, it’s gotten somewhat better. Its always been a part of Western Society as youth is revered; Opinions on what ageing is, what it looks like, and what’s acceptable behavior/dress for that age has constantly been there but has gotten better, for lack of a better word. I mean, that Golden Girls vs. J.Lo meme for example exemplifies this shift in view. Aside from that you have people wanting to grow up looking like Carmen Dell’Orefice or Angela Basset.

Could it be better? Yes. But also there have always been and will always be shitty people who will be nasty and disrespectful regardless (the Conservatives and the ones benefitting from their Youth especially).

Last edited:
J Lo/Golden Girls meme? Also claiming people want to grow up to look like literal supermodels and stunning actors isn’t exactly groundbreaking. Just means people eventually want to be old without actually looking old.