Madonna

I can't believe Madonna, the most commercially successful woman in the (western) music industry (can't get any more mainstream than that), is at her most polarizing and controversial state ever.
It's a bit funny and mostly appalling how easily riled up most people get by the way she chooses to present herself to the world. They will be the first to jump to say how embarrassing it is for her to be acting the way she is at her age without realizing their concept of how a woman should behave at that age is rooted in misogyny. And this isn't coming only from trolls or straight conservatives, it's also coming from self proclaimed feminists and queer people. They say with no remorse how they wish she was aging gracefully while they would be angered if a gay man was told he should not be painting his nails or if a woman was told not to wear pants. The brand of feminism they champion is one that has been assimilated and packaged by corporate media in order to get internet brownie points.

Is it? I have it marked as the 20th (of october, not 20 years)

This is what I saw on wiki, when writing an anniversary piece for the album earlier in the week. UK release date was definitely Oct 12th 1992, but it's possible the US (or non-UK) date was a week later?

Warners UK basically staggered their 3 big albums of Q4 in 1992...

Sep 28 REM
Oct 5 Prince
Oct 12 Madonna

Presumably to give them all a chance at debuting at #1.

They didn't bargain for a Simple Minds GH on Oct 12 too!

Erotica came out on Wednesday 14th October in the UK. It was brought forward fairly last minute from Monday 19th. I think they were worried that it would be completely lost amongst the hoo-ha about Sex if it came out the same week, so they gave it a 7 day head start on the book.

Retailers that had their own chart, like Woolworths, just had empty spaces where it would be for the first 2 days of that week. Radio 1 moved their Madonna Day forward to the 14th to match the album release date as well.

Erotica came out on Wednesday 14th October in the UK. It was brought forward fairly last minute from Monday 19th. I think they were worried that it would be completely lost amongst the hoo-ha about Sex if it came out the same week, so they gave it a 7 day head start on the book.

Retailers that had their own chart, like Woolworths, just had empty spaces where it would be for the first 2 days of that week. Radio 1 moved their Madonna Day forward to the 14th to match the album release date as well.

Thanks, did not know that - I wasn't living in the world at that point so assumed that because it charted on w/e 24/10 it came out on the Monday. That makes sense now. And possibly explains why it didn't outsell Simple Minds.