Madonna | Page 3907 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by debord, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Can we agree that Love Spent bops?

nbtsa, Wishlight, Liberty and 10 others like this.
  2. Posted it before, and I’m posting it again. This is the superior version of “Turn Up the Radio”, and proof that a few extra weeks in mixing could have salvaged a lot of the album’s production issues. Her vocal sounds amazing on it. It’s wild that it’s the same take as the one on the album.

3. This is a racket!

4. [​IMG]

5. I still don’t understand the love for Love Spent. It’s a musical mess with paper thin vocals. Loved it on tour, but then again it was a different song there . The acoustic version with the same processed thin vocals is horrible.
    The song is not Superstar level of bad or basic as Turn Up The Radio but the adoration for it..no. Great potential but that’s it.
    Having said that MDNA is an ok album to me, with one (two) of her best album covers and an amazing tour. I still prefer it waaay more than Like A Virgin.

6. "Love Spent" is absolutely gorgeous melody-wise. That last minute and a half when the song opens up and she cranks up the pleading is a moment. It's all more than enough to make up for some muddy mastering for me.

7. I usually don’t care about those things, but somehow it always bothered me that Love Spent is kinda reusing the ABBA sample from Hung Up. Also that Benjamin lyric went over my head for the longest time.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2022

8. The best version, I'm afraid. Even the mushy vocals work better.

9. Agreed.

Prefer the production of the demo version and the use of her chopped up vocal too.

Edit: Madonna's lyrics are a lot better though.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2022
  10. My favorite thing about Love Spent is the "e pluribus unum" chant by the artist formerly known as Priscilla Renea. It should've been part of the album version

Mr Blonde, Jacques, OceanBlue and 6 others like this.
  11. I always think Love Spent is interpolating Love Shack in the bridge nn

Mr.Arroz, Leader Beans and Wallow like this.
  12. I remember hearing this demo and thinking OMG she’s so gonna do a Hold It Against Me, but she did the opposite and watered it down.

BTW, in regards to Love Spent (horrible scratchy thin vocals aside) its fuckin excellent, that build just gets me every time

nametag and Shuey like this.
  13. The way you guys managed to get 4 pages of discussion in about MDNA...

Quiet day, luvs?

LPT, Mr.Arroz, Wishlight and 18 others like this.
  14. What happened to them?

15. She creeped into my top 5 artists this year and is coming for #1 in 2023 with a proper reissue campaign, I fear.

Coolrockgirl likes this.
  16. I feel like the thin vocals kind of work for Love Spent. She sounds kind of shrill and desperate which tracks.

There’s no saving the weak melody and basic chorus of Turn up the Radio no matter the mix or mastering issues. Bottom 3 Madonna single.

17. Gang Bang is by far the best thing on MDNA. And then Falling Free.

18. MDNA isn’t actually that bad is it? It was a rushed endeavour artistically and there’s absolutely no vision aesthetically (shudders in sock arm gloves), but there's some decent stuff on there musically.

Thinking about it, it would've been great to really lean into the theme of violence, and actually quite a apt commentary on Guy and his director style.

Is I’m A Sinner generally not liked? It’s the least good of the Beautiful Stranger - Amazing trifecta, but I still think it’s a great song, and a bit more summery than the latter.

I also love I Don’t Give A.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2022
  19. Where’s the love for I’m Addicted? I think it’s the biggest banger of her career!

20. There's a fantastic song in there, buried beneath the murky production and the muddled vocals.

djessie and Wallow like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.